Borderlands 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scaredchimp, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Just bought this game. It's my first Epic game store purchase. So far so good, but I am disappointed by the game's DX12 performance. DX12 is a bit slower than DX11, at least for me and uses comparatively much more RAM. I'm in the Drought area, and with DX12, I drop below 60 FPS at 1440p max settings. With DX11 I'm always above 60 FPS though.

Should be the opposite! :mad:

cerebus23 likes this.
  2. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    How much did u buy it?

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It was $31.38 USD after taxes. They also gave me an additional $10 off coupon for the purchase. All in all, a successful buy and I will certainly buy from them again in the future. I doubt I would have gotten the game otherwise, since BL3 wasn't really one of my must have games. More like something to pass the time.

I never finished BL2 and I doubt I will finish this one either.

4. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    how did u find it for that price, on the store it s for 38.99 usd

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    As I said before, they gave me a $10 off coupon. Maybe it was because it was my first order or something I don't know.

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Turned down a free copy of BL3 from Gearbox back when it released.
    Just so burnt out and beyond interested in the series. I enjoyed the first game, but the more I played BL2... the more it just annoyed. The writing got worse, and worse... and worse.

And then the Pre-Sequel. That game was horrible. I didn't finish it. Tried multiple times, but it felt tedious, like it was a chore to explore the environment.
    And the writing/characters felt even worse then before.

Then, with BL3... watched clips, gameplay, previews... nothing looked like they had actually improved anything.
    And some after first hand feedback came out. The writing is worse, the characters are even more annoying. And it basically feels like BL2.5 instead of a full sequel.

7. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Drop volumetric lighting down to medium and your fps will improve dramatically with very little loss of visual quality, DX12 is a lot faster than the DX11 in later areas with long complex draw distances.

But overall it’s just not a spectacularly well optimised game.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Carfax likes this.
  8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    UE4 isn't officially DX12 capable yet, so Gearbox likely had to do their own optimization for the engine and this is likely their first foray into a low level API for the PC platform. A steep learning curve for developers that aren't technically well versed like Id Software and their excellent use of Vulkan, or have the backing of Microsoft like The Coalition and their unique UE4 DX12 build.

It will be interesting to see once I get to those other levels though. The Droughts so far has minimal impact on my CPU in both DX11 and DX12.

anxious_f0x likes this.
  9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    The worst area I encountered when running in DX11 was Lectra City, was getting frame rates as low as 40 fps with around 50% GPU usage and a single thread completely maxed out, DX12 however runs perfectly fine in that area, Eden 6 which you spend quite a bit of time in also ran far worse for me in DX11.

I’ve found UE4 to be somewhat underwhelming in recent games, in both performance and visuals, with Gears 5 maybe being the exception although it still has its flaws.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Carfax likes this.
  10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i do agree that bl3 feels more like an expansion of bl2 and nothing else to really wow me...tbh

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I've had people try to tell my I'm only talking down about BL3 because it's only on Epic right now, that when it's on Steam... I'll be all about it.

Nope.
    I have zero plans to buy it when it releases on Steam. I personally feel that GBX took what was a good idea in the first game, and hammered it into the ground with awful writing, terrible humor... and so/so gunplay.
    While everyone seemed to love BL2, the more I played it... the more I felt the series should've just been one title, a one and done thing.

cerebus23 likes this.
  12. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    well bl2 was way better missions and design over 1.

maybe it is the peak of that, maybe cringe is played out in 2020.

ramthegamer likes this.
  13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Nothing wrong with feeling you have outgrown a franchise.
    Just like how Diablo is Diablo, counter strike is counter strike, and Destiny is Destiny. Call of duty being the most egregious on this. Oh and Pokemon.
    BL3 expanded and fixed a lot of details with it's formula, but at it's core is still just borderlands.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    GarrettL and cerebus23 like this.
  14. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 12gb
    Picked up the game over Christmas for £22.50 ,my first Epic purchase and i'm just enjoying the new guns and maps , but it does feel more like a Borderlands 2 expansion which to me isn't a bad thing as i enjoyed BL2 ,i might buy the DLC at a later date if i finish the main story and want more .

15. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yup. That's basically what people wanted; people just wanted more Borderlands, not a radical reinvention of the series. They also avoided many of the pitfalls of recent games, such as excessive monetization schemes (looking at you Bethesda).

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    There is one side mission in the game that mocks all the P2W games, pretty clever and fun mission(can be found at Desolation Edge).

17. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    i saw the game today. played a few missions.
    visited a good buddy of mine i haven't saw long time, and it looks to me like a fun passable game.
    no idea how good is the story.. but the game felt like BL2. nothing beyond that.

with everything related to EGS\exclusivity im glad i saw the game and played it around 45 mins,
    on a 1080Ti. very glad actually, it saves me the trouble to buy it on Steam.

18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It's what some people wanted, yes.

There were others, like myself, that were hoping for more of a refinement. Doesn't need a radical reinvention, but taking a serious look at the games and getting a firm understanding of the best parts.
    Instead, they double down on horrible writing and, what I personally feel, is stupid humor.

And, gameplay innovations... when I heard people cheering and applauding them for adding a "slide" function...
    That's all it takes, I get small things can make a big difference for some. But... sliding and mantling.... ohhh.

19. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Reducing Volumetric fog was a big tip, thanks for that. Now my framerates are much better, with both DX11 and DX12. Right now I'm using DX12 because the CPU efficiency is so much better than DX11, as DX11 does pummel one or two cores. Under DX12 I have less CPU usage for similar performance, provided that volumetric fog is on medium. I'll see what the performance looks like on the later areas when I get there and report back.

Gears 5 is really weird. I just updated to the latest drivers (441.87) and with shader cache turned off, the game performs abysmally. Tons of hitching and lag. But when shader cache is turned on, it performs excellent and everything is normal. Something changed with that game recently, because it never used to be like that. I've always had shader cache turned off in global settings, and if I decide to enable it, I do it for individual games. When the game launched, I'm sure I had shader cache turned off but the game ran perfectly fine.

BL3 does not care whether shader cache is turned on in DX12 mode, as the game optimizes all of the shaders on start up and stores it somewhere else.

anxious_f0x likes this.
  20. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    OK I'm starting to get into it now. This game is freaking HUGE! There's so much content! And graphically, it's a massive step up from BL2 in terms of detail and geometric complexity. That's to be expected I suppose, as BL2 was goddamn 32 bit DX9 game!

Once you lower than damn volumetric fog setting, the game actually performs quite well. No hitching or stuttering and very smooth. Gearbox should have done more with PhysX though. According to game files, the game is using PhysX 3.4 so it should have good performance when using CPU, but they were extremely conservative with the particle effects.

anxious_f0x likes this.