Borderlands 3

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by scaredchimp, Mar 27, 2019.

1. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    Yeah I've finished this atrocity a month ago, but I'm struggling to find anything positive.

Story is the typical forgettable BL mishmash. Childish, idiotic and 100% forced "humor". Badly designed bossfights. Unsatisfying gunplay against hordes of constantly respawning bullet-sponges. Annoying F2P mechanics like extremely small inventory, very small vault, not enough ammo, loosing money on death etc. It even feels like it was supposed to be a F2P game, but designers changed their mind somewhere mid development. Most SQ are just fetch quests forcing players to travel from one side of map to another. Extremely buggy UI with swapping weapon icons and lags. Also pretty badly designed and non intuitive map. Terrible handling of cars with M/K and also the typical UE's stutter when loading/unloading streaming parts.

Is there anything I liked? Probably visuals on some of the worlds, visual design of weapons and LAN support.

3/10

cerebus23 likes this.
  2. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    You're right about buggy UI which can be quite annoying but regarding the UE stutters I don't feel that it's the games fault, it's just UE (the Star Wars game also has stutters on level transitions just as an example).

Interesting to read your thoughts as they were quite different than mine. But I'm surprised about that ammo comment, I personally felt there was always an abundance of ammo due to the massive amount of containers everywhere. I didn't even buy more than 3 SDUs per ammo type since I didn't feel more was needed. Perhaps I could have bought one extra for sniper ammo but that's it.

3. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    ^ I don't really blame Respawn for UE4 issues, because it's their first UE game and TBH every studio steps into this "UE streaming trap" at least once. But Gearbox? They have more than 13 years of experience with UE. And yes, there are ways how to deal with this problem.

Well regarding the ammo... I guess it depends on weapons you use, game difficulty and even character class. I used Siren with fast firing elemental weapons, mostly submachine guns and even 4 SDUs were not enough.

4. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 1080
    First thing done, maxing out all the SDUs for every category; what else is the currency good for. Was surprised that it took them as long as it did for them to give bosses specific loot pools. Before there was no reason not to just farm Graveward and Cpt Traunt. Only good item Tyrine dropped was Queen's Call. Phasecast allowed good performance with hard hitting medium range elemental weapons; did not really come alive until aftergame. Submachine guns were some of the worst weapons in the game unless it was a cuttsman (siren wise). Otherwise auto rifles Siren worked better. Would have to say though that the game peeked with BL2; cannot top Handsome Jack.

5. haste

haste Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 @ 2.1GHz
    ^ Best SMG for Siren is Redistributor. It gives status effects to all nearby enemies almost instantly. IMHO one of the best weapons. This weapon was the only bright moment in the entire game :)

6. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    after reading the latest comments i will not buy\play it when its available on Steam.

it also feels right in this specific game. iv spent a lot of time co-op at BL2, so yeah..

very helpful comments in general on this topic. thanks.

7. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    And I'm left wondering why you waste your time on titles that clearly doesn't appeal to you. :rolleyes: Why force yourself to complete something that you must've realized earlier on wasn't for you?

8. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Some times, it's the hope that it'll grow on you. Get better over time.
    I did the same with Mirror's Edge Catalyst. I loved the first ME, and got the sequel hoping for the best. But hated it. Absolutely hated everything about it.

But, I forced myself through the entire game, in the hope that it would redeem itself. It didn't.
    Sometimes, you push through hoping to be proven wrong. Sometimes you hope a developer fixes things that annoyed you before, and finally delivers... sometimes, you spent the money and feel obligated to see it through.

9. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Oh man.. Mirrors Edge 2 was AWFUL. I usually force myself through every game to complete it but that was one game I just couldn't do. It felt nothing like the first one and was just.. bad. It felt like a series of the worst type of open-world trope mini-games and not the linear gameplay and story I loved in the first one.

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Certainly wouldn't base any buying opinions on the most recent comments. If you've played and enjoyed previous BL games then you'll find BL3 is just as good in terms of gameplay and mechanics as previous BL games. In many respects it's better in a good number of ways. If you came for the story and characters they are fine, folk seem to love to hate on the them but the story is fine just as the one in BL2 was fine being elevated by virtue of having an engaging and better an average antagonist.

If you've played previous BL games and didn't like them (which some of the more recent comments seem to be leaning towards) I would ask what exactly makes you think BL3 was going to be any different from previous BL games? Their was nothing, not even a hint or suggestions in the pre release marketing that made BL3 look like it was going to be anything other than more BL2.

If you're new to BL and want to try it I wouldn't start with BL3. Start with BL2, BL3 has some quality of life improvements and a few game play and mechanics tweaks that make things a bit more fun but not so much that they over shadow the fact that BL2 has the better story (because of Jack) has the much larger collection of DLC and content thus making a larger game, is available on Steam (which for some reason seems to be important to some people o.0) and is cheaper to purchase, just plan to use Krieg if you want to go as far as UVHM as he's the only character who was designed to work with the broken scaling of enemies at the +50lvl.

11. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    over 1200 hours in BL+BL2 or at least Steam says so :) more than 70% in BL2.

im not basing it on one\two comments. iv browsed and followed the topic before the game release
    and there are several factors that drove me to pass on BL3. some of latest comments are very
    helpful - both negative and positive point of views.

the main* reason is the EGS exclusivity on release. in this specific product, i decided im not interested
    in giving them my money, even if its on sale.

Kolt and KissSh0t like this.
  12. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Fair enough, seems like a silly reason to miss out on a game that is for the most part as good as BL2 however it's your cash so do with it as you wish.

13. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    principles are not rly silly tho if you are strongly disapproving of the way something is bein handled and the negative impact it is havin on somethin you love. one its the main reason even nearly a whole year on i have not bought or played Metro exodus both that game and BL3 have seeminly disappeared into the ether cos they released through EGS nobody is actively talkin about them today much n they have little to no prescence on the streamin community side they only time they do is when known streamers are bein propped up to play em. on twitch the official borderlands 3 stream is often hostin daily BL3 streamers like SchviftyFive to make the streamin numbers look higher. as i type this 2k is sponsorin Sacriel and others to play the games new DLC through early access nobody else is touchin it.

i will say to that you are one of the only people i have seen say BL3 is as good as BL2 when the wider consensus is that its not no way even close thx to poor story horrible characters and borin gameplay outside of the actually good lootin system. sayin its for most part as good as BL2, cmon rly? i respect your opinion but theres not much out there to back it up.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    Kolt likes this.
  14. Seaclean

Seaclean Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 4GB Gaming
    See, I can understand this argument to a certain degree. At some point though you've got to make up your mind instead of dragging yourself through several additional hours of "entertainment" you don't find entertaining in the first place. You're just going to end up all the more bitter from it.

I've also been "convinced" about a game I was skeptical about first. But I've certainly also called the quits on a game I just couldn't get into despite honestly trying for 10-15 hours. And to think if I actually forced myself to complete such a game out of sheer principle or stubbornness ... no wonder you'd end up bitter about it.

cerebus23 and Kolt like this.
  15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    To me this plays the same as bl2 however i m not sure about the story...could be worse

16. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    Played about 2 hours of the new DLC, it's pretty nice and very fun actually quite keeps you wanting to go on and on and on...

17. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super

If the principles only hurt you and have no effect on anyone other than you, well then they are silly.

Yeah Bl3 is just as good as Bl2, the gunplay and game mechanics are better and more refined, the loot system is better (the important things in a looter shooter) the late game is better scaled and less grindy, the game has a number of quality of life improvements missing from BL2 and the character build range vs gun make up, makes for a more varied set of character builds than BL2. Yes the story isn't as good, it certainly is not as bad as everyone seems to be making out and yes the characters are not as good but the reality is the game has always been full of annoying characters. Previous games it used to be Claptrap for this one it seems Ava is getting the ire of everyone, which is really confusing given she has less than 10 minutes of screen time and one maybe two side missions.

18. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    I honestly can't go back to any BL after BL3, it just so much better than the others(except maybe storywise)

19. coc

coc Master Guru

GPU:
    1070GTX
    that's correct, for children.

how does not playing BL3 hurt anyone ? that's a decision based on personal principles.
    the other side of the coin is : people lack spine. they will pay to play, even if they disagree with something.

20. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Lol ok...
    It doesn't, but the word 'hurt' is a better contraction than the much more long winded. I am not paying for this game and am willing to forego the enjoyment of playing a game or game series that I would have normally have played because I am assuming that by not giving Epic my money they will in turn change their policies regarding paying for timed release or Epic store exclusivity and I hope that developers that have jumped on the paid exclusivity band wagon will look at my decision and decided that it is a bad one and thus not do it again in the future.

cerebus23 likes this.