Boot Loop with Intel X79SI MB and i7-3960x

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by vonalka, Dec 15, 2011.

1. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    I recently built a new system with the following specs:
    - Intel DX79SI Motherboard
    - Intel i7-3960x
    - Intel RTS2011 Cooler
    - Corsair TX750 PSU
    - 32GB Ram (Kingston 8GB x 4)
    - 240GB Kingston Hyper-x SSD (Primary Drive)
    - 120GB OCZ SSD
    - 600GB WD Veliciraptor
    - 300GB WD Veliciraptor
    - 2GB AMD 6970 Video
    - Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    - Currently not overclocked at all

For the first two weeks the system was solid and stable everything worked perfectly. In the last two days I started to get random crashes where it would shut down and then go into a boot loop (constantly re-booting before reaching post). The first time it did this I unplugged the PSU and and plugged it back in. It then re-boot fine and seemed to work fine until the next day where it once again crashed and went into the loop. I have since tried unplugging and replugging the PSU without success. I also tried testing with less memory and without the video card to eliminate those components, but this has not helped.

Considering how new this board and chip are, I can't seem to find much help online, so if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate the help.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Isolate.
    Take out everything besides the bare minimum (1hdd, video, mobo, ram, psu, cpu)
    If it persists, re-seat piece by piece.
    If it persists, RMA the mobo first.
    If it persists, RMA something else.

-scheherazade

3. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    Will try that tonight. I was hoping someone may have experienced the same issue and knew a quick fix.

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Also get a buzzer/speaker, it'll beep like crazy if there's anything wrong when it does the loop.

5. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    Ok I just finished isolating everything. After removing all ram, unplugging all drives, fans, USB, and removing the video card, it still does the exact same thing.

There is a two character LCD on the board (port 80) boot code display, and the last code the it displays before starting to loop is either "69" or "b9". I have checked the manual and Intel's site, but can't find any reference to either of these codes.

6. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Well, you need :
    -cpu
    -1 stick of ram
    -video card

Otherwise, you aren't gonna get anywhere anyways.
    You probably should get an error code if any of those are missing.

-scheherazade

7. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    I tried with 1 stick of RAM and the video card - same problem. I systematically tried each one of my 4 ram chips individually with the video card, also tried with some, all, or no fans connected.

At this point I suspect it has to be either MB, processor, or power supply - but I think it is unlikely that it is the power supply since it isn't very old and it worked perfect in my last build.

8. scheherazade

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I looked in the manual.

Check around pages 73 and below.
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...zGaatD&sig=AHIEtbS9xDDl9PGTwmfWCWnjHwipFx0Fgw

Any beep codes?

Post code of 69 would be a stall in a driver entry.
    Not sure how that applies to anything?

Post code of b9 would be a stall in initializing removable media.
    Could be a drive, or a port.
    Not sure if you can access your bios, but if you can you can try disabling onboard disk controllers.

-scheherazade

9. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    No beep codes and I can't access the bios at all - I have been in touch with Intel and they tell me that code b9 is related to a memory issue, but considering the testing I have done with multiple sticks of ram, It must be the board.

They have asked me to send the board to them for testing, so we will see how that goes.

Thanks for the tips!!

10. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    UPDATE: I had unplugged everything from the board in preperation to take it out and send it back to Intel. I thought before I take it out, I would give it one more try and plugged in my video card and one old 2GB ram chip I had kicking around. Surprisingly it started to boot and did not loop on the "b9" code as it did before. I started plugging things in one at a time and everything continued to work.

I now have all components reconnected, including my four 8GB ram chips I was originally using and everything seems stable.

I am really not sure what to make of this problem and just hope that whatever it was that I have seen the last of it.

11. vonalka

vonalka Member

GPU:
    3GB AMD Radeon 7970
    UPDATE 2: When I checked the system this morning, the boot loop problem was back. I removed all four 8GB dimms and put two 2GB chips in and the system booted fine. I have now put four 2GB chips in and have been running it all day without a problem