1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Jae-So, May 24, 2015.

1. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Hey gents, haven't posted here in a while, but in need of some Guru guidance.

My computer doesn't seem to like booting from my SSD drive unless it is 2nd in the boot order. I get the message "no operating system found. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del to reboot". Here are some scenarios:

1) When the SSD is the only drive connected to the mobo, I get the message above and won't boot.
    2) When 2 or more drives are connected and the SSD is first in the boot sequence, I get the message above and Windows won't boot.
    3) when 2 or more drives are connected and the SSD is 2nd in the boot order (after the 320 GB drive), the PC will show 2 Windows 7 installations and the default option will allow me to boot to Windows on the SSD.

Very weird, see my system below, I added a 120GB SSD to my rig:
    i7 750 / P55-UD4
    320GB HDD / 500GB HDD / 2TB HDD

I previously had Windows 7 installed on the 320GB drive but after installing on the SSD I formatted that drive, effectively removing everything so there is only 1 installation of Windows.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Most probably you did install Windows with several disks on. So Windows installer did create system boot partition on one of HDD, hence you can`t boot Windows without that HDD.

3. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Ah yes I makes sense. Just checked computer management and it has a system reserved partition on the 320GB drive, dag nabit, I'm sure I didn't ask it to do that so why would it just guess. Any way I can move this without doing another installation?

EDIT: quick google suggests to do a Windows repair (off the CD) with only the SSD connected to rebuild the partition?

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  4. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified

5. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Yeh I've run it now. Quick 2 mins of reading (different website) then just ran startup up from the disk and deleted the system partitions from the other disk. Seems to have solved the issue. Cheers lads

Last edited: May 24, 2015