Board Partner BIOS release schedule Radeon RX Vega leaks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 11, 2017.

1. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    I've been trying to get this message across since this 'debate' started, I doubt he'll listen now. He's just going to spin it off with something unrelated again.

2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    As much as he keeps trying to set you up as the strawman here anyone with any critical thinking can clearly se he is the strawman in this thread.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Stating "FACTS" about Vega being over a year late, and "Consumes too much power for its level of performance" in a thread about the BIOS release schedule, is basically Sh*tposting. We have no need of this being posted in EVERY thread about Vega.

Vega consumes power due to it being pushed to the very limit of its design on its current 14nm process.
    Just like Fury X was. We all have eyes and can all see this.

The xIcarus/Fox2322 Bull above, should have been sorted out via PM's, not in the thread.

On-Topic: If the Final BIOS's aren't ready or released yet, then all we have to do is wait until August, and see what the final revision brings.

4. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    So you practically expect a thread about Vega, be it BIOS or not, to not contain opinions about Vega?
    I mean these opinions and talks are just.. Expected.

5. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    I don't see the need for the very same people posting the very same opinion on each and every thread about the topic tbh. But to each his own I guess.

6. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    What else are people gonna say with such limited information about the RX?

7. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    I don't know, I just think it's a bit too soon for conclusions. I'd be interested in technical discussions on the reasons for the observed issues and how (if) they can be mitigated. But then again this would require somewhat advanced technical understanding.

I just don't really see the need for regurgitating the same over and over again so I usually don't bother visiting these threads since nothing of value can be learned.

8. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    So...48 posts in a thread about information that hints at a possible PAPER launch for RX Vega at SIGGRAPH without the words 'paper' or 'SIGGRAPH' used in the thread until now. Impressive bickering...

9. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Yeah ultra-guru :wanker: only discussion about arcane technical details nodody understand (or want to) but in this case:

I don't expect ppl can order a RX Vega before September.

RX Vega (Gaming GPUs) is late to the party (1 year) and the driver (and BIOS) are not ready yet to face the competition; the FPS performance from VEGA (in gaming mode!) benchmarks are....mehhh.

Nobody needs a degree in Rocket Engineering to extract this conclusion.This is a logical conclusion (BIG deception for believers) that follows a HUGE and irresponsible hype.

Apple had common sense as usual and announced his new laptops with RX Vega for December.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    If the Final Bios isn't ready, then the Benchmarks up until then are moot.

Gaming Mode just enables a couple of options in the driver, and makes no difference to the Cards abilities, unless overclocked or tweaked (using the enabled options).
    September launch is fine, just in time for the Back to School purchases, and in plenty of time for Xmas.
    We'll see what the final Bios will bring, along with the final/release drivers, mid August probably.

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    September launch is terrible.

also AMD literally has zero options to compete if NV were to release Volta.
    If that were to happen, I think they'd be in serious trouble financially(more than they are already)

12. malitze

malitze Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury X
    Wow you really got me here. Guess that's what I should have expected.

13. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Whats so wrong with September ?
    Its one of the best times of the year to launch.
    Any time during the Summer is pointless, July-August people are on holidays.

The odds of Nvidia releasing Volta this year are about nil, to negative.

Also, AMD isn't in Financial trouble, their Financials are getting better, year after year.

14. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    There was no pun intended.:)

I agree that there is a very good (and very technical) explanation for AMD gaming GPUs lack of performance VS competition but in layman's terms it's simply a lack of R&D budget...since forever.

I think AMD has simply not enough resources to battle Intel in CPU market and at the same time Nvidia in the GPU market.

15. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I don't actually buy that completely. If that were the case both NVidia and AMD wouldn't exist since the Intel i740 appeared. It's obviously not that simple. Throwing money at problems works only up to a point.

My completely uneducated guess about the current situation is that AMD rushed Vega, so as to appear responsible towards its investors. I don't believe that Vega will ever reach Big Pascal's perf/watt, but I'm still not convinced that it is the performance turd it appears to be. Knowing how long it took AMD to have proper GCN drivers, Koduri's comments in his Reddit AMA about his software guys "wishing driver development was simple", how different Vega seems to be, and the confidence they still seem to have in the actual hardware, this might turn around still.

Or it's a new GeForce FX.

16. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Rushed Vega to please investors? Maybe.

If AMD wait until driver and BIOS are ready his gaming GPUs will be two gens behind Nvidia; Volta is not far away.

Investors only look at total sales and AMD gaming GPUs have certainly improved A LOT to the point Polaris was a big sells success...for mining, not so much for gaming due to lack of gaming performance.

VEGA gaming (FPS) AND mining performance (MH/s, power spent) are BAD, Who is going to buy VEGA gaming GPUs and for what? :3eyes:

Can AMD survive in the gaming GPUs market without the mining GPUs market sales?

17. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    First, Polaris is a success for AMD, miners not withstanding. It's really the best chip to get from anything the 1070 down. The refresh just solidified that.

Second, Vega's current performance seems not to scale with frequency. Baring some kind of catastrophic hardware design error, it's obvious that big parts of the card are either not working at all, or are not being used at all.

Despite everything, I actually don't believe that NVidia will have a mainstream product equally compelling to Pascal, with Volta.

18. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Polaris GPUs are the best GPUs for miners, gamers are not buying them looking at their gaming performance and HIGH prices (when they are miraculously on stock).

We will see the complete image in a few weeks with GPUs on shelves and full reliable reviews but i don't expect a lot of changes in performance.

Nvidia has more than a gen of advantage over AMD in gaming GPUs.

They can even rebadge Pascal, call it a new gen and left Volta to battle Navi in a year. :D

19. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I'm expecting the XTX Vega (if that is the watercooled version) to be 10-15% better than the FE. Over time I have little doubt this will also increase when drivers get ironed out and AMD manages to egg out more performance. I doubt we will see 30% or so needed to meet or exceed the 1080Ti though. Maybe in some AMD sponsored titles, that could happen, but not in general.

20. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    If we don't see a +30% at least, then Vega will have worse IPC than Fiji, which would mean it's a failed design, and we haven't really seen these in the gpu space since ever.

I also can't see how NVidia can rebadge Pascal. It seems to have a hard limit at around 2GHz, and even there, thermals and power are quite high. There is no other node incoming for GPUs either, the "12nm" Volta presentation pretty much means that Volta will not have a node shrink advantage either.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017