Bluetooth airbuds causing weird migraines

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DirtyDee, May 5, 2024.

1. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    It's been a year since I started wearing BT earbuds at work and I had been fine up until a month ago. Out of nowhere it felt as if electricity was emitting from the earbuds and was shooting down my ear canal and then into my brain. After taking them out I had this weird headache that persisted for about 10 minutes.

Thinking that the earbuds were defective I bought another pair which was fine for about a week until the same thing happened. Now it happens whenever I wear any BT earbuds for more than an hour. The volume is set to low so it's not that. It feels as if the radio waves are microwaving my brain.

Anyone here experience this???All of my co-workers and family members that have worn BT earbuds for years say they don't.

Last edited: May 5, 2024
  2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Yup, i get headaches with bluetooth headphones too.
    You may have other sensitivities like myself, it's actually a gift if you do.

3. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Mega BS.
    Giga BS.
    Tera BS.

There is thousand times more EM energy around us simply coming from the Sun and the earth's magnetic field than what those puny BT radios put out.
    You're just gaslighting yourself.

Keitosha and Trunks0 like this.
  4. Horse Hooves Clomping

Horse Hooves Clomping Master Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3060ti 8gb FE
    I wonder if what you're describing is Havana syndrome. Have you worked in sensitive government position in the past?

5. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Weird. I have been suffering from migraines for over 30 years, but never had a flareup I could attribute to BT earbuds. I've been using various BT headsets and earbuds for at least two decades, never had any issues.

Btw, a 10-minute headache isn't a migraine. A migraine is a headache of such magnitude that it pretty much incapacitates you and can last for many hours, sometimes a whole day. I wouldn't wish them on anyone, even an enemy.

Go get yourself checked out just in case though. It's better to be safe than sorry.

6. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Except radio devices have to output at a higher energy level to overcome background fields.
    It probably does effect some.

Horse Hooves Clomping likes this.
  7. Horse Hooves Clomping

GPU:
    Rtx 3060ti 8gb FE
    I agree, Sir. That explains why battery drains faster when there is low or no signal. Device goes into overdrive, trying to provide better reception or locate signal.

8. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Like myself it's probably the nasties 'they' inject into most of our food that's causing them.
    So many nasties out there, i've been reading ingredients of my food for many many years now, don't get many migraines now.

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Turn them off (sometimes there's a switch for that, but some will simply turn off themselves if you don't connect them within 10 minutes or so.) You know they've shut down if they're invisible to your phone (or whatever BT source you're using) and can't connect anymore until you put them back in their case, which activates them again.

Once the BT signal is off, wear them for a while. If the same thing happens, it has nothing to do with BT, but it's your ears hating objects being put in them. Or a reaction to the materials they're made of.

10. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Sure, if you keep a 20 Watts analog HAM radio transmitter near your ear, that is going to be quite a lot of energy. Even so, people have been sitting beside even more powerful transmitters their entire lives, with little to no effect.

But a bt earbud is in the order of milliwatts. Also, only transmits acknowledgement for received audio packets for a few microseconds, then switches back to receiver mode until the next packet finishes.

I was wrong in the previous message, the energy transmitted is billions of times less than the background radiation, not thousands.

Keitosha and aufkrawall2 like this.

11. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    Take from this what you will.

I remember in the 1980's when they did a study showing that living to close to high power transmission towers had a correlation to higher chances of some diseases, a coworker of mine had a hard time selling his home because of this, he actually wanted away from the towers, there were lawsuits because of this and counter studies and now no one talks about it.

I've never known anyone to be effected by this, but I won't dismiss that maybe there are some few who are.

12. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    People are also hallucinating alien encounters, bigfoot, yeti, dragons, you name it...
    Still doesn't make it true.

13. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    Are you saying that my trip to Scotland is in vain?

14. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    So, this is just something I fabricated to get attention from people on a hardware forum? OK...right, thanks *smh*

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Nessie is real, don't worry.

16. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    You probably need to clean your ears - earphones/earplugs can prevent your ears sweating leading to a build-up of moisture - this can lead to excessive earwax or even ear infections. If you're going to be wearing headphones for long periods of time, it's advisable to use over ear headphones, particularly if you have any ear sensitivities.

17. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    I've had earwax build up before, but this is entirely different as it feels like an electrical current. When I created this thread I was looking for people that experienced this or at the very least heard of such a thing. It's strikes me as odd that people would label this as a conspiracy theory.

18. Horse Hooves Clomping

GPU:
    Rtx 3060ti 8gb FE
    I still think havana.

19. Maybe not conspiracy theory but suggestion, did you happen to read about "harmful radiowaves" or something similar lately? Maybe your subconscious decided those earbuds are harmful now.

However if you wear any earbuds for more than an hour, I'm not surprised if you get aches, like was suggested use over ear headphones for longer periods of time or at least take breaks in between, let your ears "breathe".
    Maybe you were able to withstand them for longer, until now. I guess it's not beyond possible that they're pinching some nerve or something.

20. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I have experienced it, went to the hospital, it was build of earwax (thick and hard) causing excessive pressure - you're likely becoming very sensitive to certain frequencies of sound or even sensitive to pressure changes in your ear (which happens when there is more wax). Give your ears a clean overnight with some cerumol and cotton wool.

Edit: It's also with remembering, the ear drum is very delicate, excessive ear wax or moisture build up can lead to inflammation and possibly infection. If you're hearing strange sounds, feeling odd sensations, stop whatever is triggering them, clean the ears out and possibly get your ears checked by a doctor.

Last edited: May 6, 2024