Bluegears b-Enspirer (CMI8788) sound card review!!!

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by CTman, Jan 5, 2007.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Actually some hard core audiophiles will swear by vinyl as having a better sound. Glad you enjoy your card. ALot of people have EAX and don't use it becasue they don't like the sound of it on their gaming audio. It is a preference aswell. You have your opinions other have theirs the debate it done. This topic pops up time to time... Maybe we can get this topic back on track.

On the Subject of 8788 cards. I was told you CAN have OpenAL using a 8788 based card. you just need to install it. I may have mentioned it.

2. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    The sound is better but it is not sound quality. It is better because it has "realistic effects" but if the effects is not done properly like in FEAR it won't sound better. A better equipment will make your audio sound better even with badly encoded MP3 but it will make a pure source sound much better. I would rather play a game without EAX on an expensive HT setup(or a better sound card) than playing games with EAX on a cheap computer speaker but it is better to play games with proper EAX on an expensive HT setup.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
    I have to disagree with you gamergod. Crystalizer sound bad in my opinion. I used it many times when I had a XFI. I in up turning it off.

rouge, it not like we dont have Eax, we have EAx2.0 which is enough for us. I dont really use Eax any more.I used to use it alot when I had a XFi card.

Then I started to play games without it on then slowy i stop caring about it.

4. daedalus351

daedalus351 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EN9800GT 1GB
    I assume this is aimed at me. While it does have 5.1 channel output, I'm using a HT system which only has a stereo analogue input, an optical input and a coaxial input. My analogue input is being used by my VCR and the onboard sound doesn't have digital output (it may have the connector on the motherboard but I don't have a backing plate) the SB Live does. Plus I would say the onboard sound is more likely to pick up noise from other components than the SB Live.

I don't really agree that its better than the SB Live, but feel free to convince me... actually don't, there is enough arguing in this thread already :p

5. daedalus351

daedalus351 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EN9800GT 1GB
    Yeah you mentioned it. I also read it somewhere else which prompted me to try it to solve my Doom3 audio problem and it worked :)

6. daedalus351

daedalus351 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EN9800GT 1GB
    Ok people this has to stop. I don't know about anyone else but I've really had enough of this EAX Vs No EAX debate. I'm sick of interesting threads on audio ending up turning into "EAX makes games sound better", "No, EAX doesn't improve quality at all" arguments.

For a start you are arguing two different points. One side is arguing that EAX doesn't improve the quality of the original audio samples, and the other is saying that EAX makes games more immersive and the sound sources easier to localize. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on this). These two arguments are not compatible. I suppose they are a debate on whether EAX is worth using or not but since they are not directly opposed to one another then it is quite possible (and this is my position) that they are both right.

And then Creative's Crystallizer gets brought into it. As I've never heard it in use I'm not going to comment on it.

So FFS, if there isn't one already, make a thread dedicated to this dicussion and leave it the **** there!

Thanks.

7. daedalus351

daedalus351 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EN9800GT 1GB
    I agree that going back to the SB Live would be a major sacrifice in sound quality. But if the Enspirer can't cut it performance wise, even on lower settings, then I'm not keen on using it because games just aren't enjoyable. I'm losing about 8fps (average) in Doom3 and when I'm averaging 48fps in 1280x1024 before the upgrade to the 8788 card, I can't afford to lose any performance. After installing the Enspirer I'm getting the frame rate dropping down well into the teens quite often, when previously it would rarely drop that low, which is just not fun.

I'm half an hour away from reformatting my hard drive so I'll see if I get any improvement after that. I hope so.

8. alg7_munif

alg7_munif Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Did the card slow you down even with a lower sound setting? Like I said before you must compare 32voices with 32voices, 64voices will be slower than 32voices.

9. daedalus351

daedalus351 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EN9800GT 1GB
    Yes absolutely. When I installed the Enspirer, I certainly didn't crank up the sound settings I left them as they were when first trying out the card, and then I reduced them. And on the games that allow you to reduce the audio quality, there is some improvement in some of them but its still not great. Taking UT2004 as an example, the SB Live is notably faster in 32 voices than the Enspirer is in 16

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The EAX discussion was over around post 61.

11. sillysighbean

sillysighbean Member

GPU:
    Ati 1900xtx (Gigabyte)
    i think rob is correct on this, effects do not add to quality, adds the immersive effects but not quality!

you cannot polish a turd:)

12. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    HA, where did you hear that? it is a old saying among guys who record audio!! Trying to polish a turd.

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI XC Ultra
    That kind of sad, telling some one there not a gamer because of the system they have. Gamergod I wouldnt expect some one like you , to say something like this. Since I seen your post on FM in the past. You should know better.

You dont have to have computers like me and you to be a gamer.Look at people that still on slower cpus then what Robscix has. I know a couple of buddies that have GF2mx and still play games.

Do that make them non gamers because of the setup they have, no. It just means they have other things to worry about other then upgrading. Or have bills to pay.

But to go hes not a gamer because of his system is one of the most silly lines I ever read. He might not have high end cpu video card and ram like you, but he still a gamer reguardless of what parts he has.

You might go"well he bought the Xmerdian and not a cpu or video card upgrade" Maybe he will upgrade his cpu and video card next or is waiting for more money to do it at once or something.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  14. xstyle54u

xstyle54u New Member

i noticed that this card has an optical input, so could i use this sound card to get my xbox 360 to play digital audio through my PC's surround sound? has anyone else tried this with success? thanx ahead of time to those who reply back.

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I don't think you can do that. The card would need a Decoder. I am not sure it contain this hardware.

16. sillysighbean

sillysighbean Member

GPU:
    Ati 1900xtx (Gigabyte)
    lmao, i've been a music nut since my playschool record player:)

i love to create and listen to music, its my greatest passion, so i guess over the years the exposure to musical type nuts wears off!

cheers
    mike

17. daedalus351

daedalus351 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EN9800GT 1GB
    It was more like 63 or 64, but if you notice most of the posts between that one and that post of yours, then you will notice that I made them.

Anyway, enough of that. I've said my piece and counted to three :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  18. daedalus351

daedalus351 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS EN9800GT 1GB
    LOL That is a good one. I don't think its completely restricted to audio recordists though as I've come across it once or twice in my time. :)

19. rockonhard

rockonhard Master Guru

GPU:
    Gecube 9600 pro 128
    Whoa, another war zone ;)

Been thinking of getting the b-Inspirer instead of the XM7.1 (whatever avails first), but reading the posts, I might steer clear of the b-Inspirer (for now anyway).

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    IF I was you I would get the XM7.1. All though they all use the 8788 chipset they are very different cards. No other 8788 based card has been getting the same type of reviews as the XM.