Blu-ray UHD discs are no longer supported on latest Intel PC processors.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    rl66 and Neo Cyrus like this.
  2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Intel, more like InteLMAO!

[​IMG]

Intel, AMD, and nVidia are locked in a battle to see who can become the biggest disgrace and enrage their audiences the most.

Meanwhile the geniuses behind the DRM will never admit that all this will lead to is more piracy.

Keno34, carnivore, fluidz and 8 others like this.
  3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I just got a Blu-ray drive for my pc 2 days ago and it's coming to an end.... wtf

Airbud and Keitosha like this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I guess in the future you need a retro machine just to play physical disc movies...

H83 likes this.

5. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    DRM issues only affecting the honest consumer. Say it isn't so...

kapu, carnivore, H83 and 8 others like this.
  6. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    There is more then way to skin cat you know

7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    [​IMG]

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's only the UHD Blue Ray, the normal one still work (even on AMD CPU by the way)... btw even BR can't handle a real UHD with everything shiny (but i agree that with lower quality sound and a bit compression here and here... they fit on it and it's better than BR), only download can do it.

More and more DRM problem each year...
    Technicaly when the company that have the right over a classical or old movie, put DRM on the digital reworked version, it's always a drama.
    Cineclub (ok it's not UHD but the DRM problem is the same) sadly mainly better use pirated or home made illegal version than DRM version.

DRM doesn't protect movie (just take a look on the quality of the 4k illegal download just after the release of a 4k movie) but really bother end user with things like this,
    and anyway a compulsive pirate, would not bought, the game, movie or music even if the price were low... It's a fake protection only made to do money.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Cave Waverider likes this.
  9. Hulk12

Hulk12 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 4090 :D
    Fortunately, try to use AnyDVD software for work to play 2k/4k BD, for allow CRT monitor.... :D But you can buy this software. ;) I've bought it. :p

10. Kova101

Kova101 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5600 XT
    Never understood these things, pirated version will be out there despite DRM. They are only making life hard for the good folks who want to do everything legally. Fortunately for those who are looking, there are several options to play these discs on PC since the beginning (the BD drive part is a little bit complicated though).
    I remember that even with fully legal playback, you can not output the higher def audio via an USB soundcard or DAC, because there is a thing called Protected Audio Video Path, and USB is "not safe". So you can only use eg.: Dolby TrueHD via HDMI or via some integrated audio on your mobo any other method will get only Dolby Digital and DTS (these things are also solved by the "playback helpers").

11. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Even if you have the DRM capabilities in the CPU you still need to buy licensed software to be able to play BluRays :| I found that out when I bought one years ago for my dad who wanted to move away from multiple devices and use his media center PC to view blurays on.

12. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Good thing I have a FW modded BR writer so I can convert my bought UHD discs with MakeMKV/DVDfab.

Yes, my wife and I love to buy physical media. It adds something more than with streaming (doing both btw having NF, D+, YT premium and Prime).

13. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    Don't worry, bud. You don't need that pesky instruction set to extract the files of your legally purchased BD / UHD BD with MakeMKV. Then, playback with any good video software such as PotPlayer.

Airbud, KissSh0t and shaga like this.
  14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I wasn't aware that the DRM had a hardware requirement. Seems rather stupid to me.
    I know Blu Rays aren't common among PC users but... has there seriously not been any solution to AMD users? Sure, they might be relatively niche, but that's still a lot of people who wouldn't be able to play discs legally.

Linux has always had to fight DRM issues, and often has ways to circumvent them without full-blown piracy (its methods have still technically been illegal). You might be able to use their methods for your own use. For some Blu Rays, there are open-source libraries that allow programs like VLC to play many, but not all discs, regardless of CPU. For other discs, I think there are repositories where you can download the decryption keys, though, I don't know where you'd get those. I don't have any Blu Ray drives so I've never been able to really experiment with this, but the point is: Intel's support is not a necessity to play these discs.

Airbud and 386SX like this.
  15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Lame move.

It´s so sad to see companies wanting to dictate what their customers can do with the hardware they bought from them...

And apparently things are hoing to become much worse if what people say about Microsoft´s Pluton is true...

anticupidon likes this.

16. shaga

shaga Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3060 Ti
    Potplayer mentioned. :p +1

Lebon30 likes this.
  17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Kova101
    sound output limits arent from BD, but the sound formats from Dolby and DTS requiring it.

18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Ah yes this is exactly how you fight piracy by making legitimate users suffer more and more . Who wants to just click download and watch ?

Lebon30 likes this.
  19. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I transfer 4K UHD discs from my AMD based workstation with UHD drive to the Intel-based, rack-mounted movieserver over network, for playback in living room from PLEX on NVidia Shield. Would never in my life bother to try and actually play a disc directly on PC.

386SX and Keitosha like this.
  20. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I guess this is most likely a result of all the SPECTRE variants.
    BD DRM is just some "collateral damage".
    If I would be Intel, I would drop this tech, too.