Blu-Ray incompatibility WTF

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by dchalf10, Apr 27, 2010.

1. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    My blu-ray player is region free...the blu-ray i'm trying to play...is region free, but for some reason it won't play at all.

The Blu-Ray in question is Ghost in the Shell: Innocence. It says it's playing but the screen is black and there is no activity, i cannot skip etc, this is my second copy of this same Blu-Ray, so it is very very unlikely it is the Blu-Ray disk, prior movie Ghost in the Shell 2.0 on blu ray plays perfectly BUT the special features of that disk do not work.

I know with DVD there was the PAL/NTSC issue which i'm certain is not a problem with Blu-Rays, is there something else I should be looking for. The blu ray is only version 1.1 which i'm sure is only related to BD-live which is not something I need, I am unable to update the firmware as I don't have an in-wall phone line. I will likely need to buy s new player but I don't know what else to look for to ensure that the next player won't do the same.

Current player= samsung bd-p1500

I was thinking about getting a sony - Sony BDP-S360, this is said to be 2.0...as I said above this likely won't affect playback but who knows...

I don't care about video streaming or anything of that crap, I just want disk compatibility and good video/audio quality.

Does anyone know why my current player does not work, or if the sony one will work....

EDIT:

All my other blu-rays work fine..

2. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Can you not update the player from a USB flash drive? I would recommend trying to update it.

3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Blu-ray is a messy unfinished format, I hate it. Avatar is giving quite a few players problems aswell.

4. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Some Blu-Rays are not compatible with older firmware versions. Blu-Ray is a horrible format like DCX said. I would recommend getting a PS3 for Blu-Ray only because it will always be up to date.

They need to finalize the format before they start selling it.

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Avatar is a good example. Not only does it have some kind of new encryption (BD5+) that stops it from working at all for players (in my case I just had to press next on the remote during the warning screen) but it also has a disc structure that somehow makes some players pop up a timeline/chapter search bar thing every time the player enters a new chapter. Like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS_IyugwTRY

I have this issue and it's incredibly annoying. Gonna have to rip the disc and remux it to remove the chapters all together.

6. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Do you have a stand alone player or are you using the PS3? I literally just bought the movie 10 minutes ago.

Edit: damn it, i just read on another forum that PS3 users just get a black screen as noted above. Good thing I got the Blu-Ray + DVD pack.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Nah, I use a Popcorn Hour C200 NMT with an LG CH08 BD-drive in it.

I think it should play in the PS3. If it stops after the warning screen about the disc using the newest bluray version blablabla, just hit next and it should skip forward and load the menu like normal.

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, BluRay is still a messy format, especially since it beat HDDVD which was a far better format on release.

I might buy Avatar on payday, just to try it out on the PS3, on the PC and also the standalone, dodgy discs like that interest me, even if the movie didn't.

dchalf10, is there no way to update the firmware via disc, i know i managed this with an old Samsung DVD player.
    Can't say if that Sony one will work, but i would imagine so, as i can play the UK BluRay or GITS2 fine in my new standalone, which is a great player for the money.
    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665791144

9. mcantu

mcantu Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti 1 GB
    the samsung site shows a 4/23 firmware update and it can be done via cd or usb drive...

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-video/blu-ray/blu-ray-players/BD-P1500/XAA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=support

< BD-P1500 Firmware Update History>

Ver 2.7 Apr. 23, 2010
    1. Improves playback compatibility of some movie titles.

Ver 2.6 Jan. 20, 2010

Ver 2.5 Oct.07, 2009

Ver 2.4 Apr.16, 2009
    2. Fixes firmware update error from Ver 2.1 to Ver 2.4

Ver 2.3 Jan.07, 2009

Ver2.1 Dec.2, 2008

Ver2.0 Oct.03, 2008
    1. Supports BD-Live
    2. Firmware auto upgrade(automatically notifies availability of new firmware)

NOTE: A 1GB USB memory drive must be plugged in the player to activate BD-Live features.

Ver1.3 Aug.08, 2008
    1. Improves playback compatibility

Ver1.1 June 30, 2008
    1. Improves playback compatibility

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  10. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Which player are you using?

I'm running PowerDVD 10 Ultra with ANYDVD HD and I don't have any issues with playback. I haven't tried Ghost in the Shell though.