Bloody Hell.. 3870 X2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Paladinchan, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Paladinchan

Paladinchan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3
    getting aftermarket coolers is going to be just the same as for the 8800GTS and GTX's

2. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    The article used 3850's not 3870's, I had originally wrote in 3870 not 3850. The math is good for the 3850s but you were talking about 3870's. The cards used were 'HD', they all are HD. HD is not a performance prefix, it's a marketing gimmick and stands for High Definition, you know just like those tv's. I hate marketing :puke2:.

AMD is changing their naming conventions placing emphasis on the numbers rather than the prefixes & suffixes.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  3. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Two water blocks ought to fit on there fine if it uses the same fittings as the HD2900 series. Which would also look bloody impressive.

4. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    The problem I could envisage with the quad crossfire is by the time they coded stable drivers to fully take advantage of the cards in all games the next generation would be out. Not that it doesn't look pretty darn cool though.. I still believe developing multiple card solutions is the wrong direction. I would rather they develop a more powerful single card solution that would be more practical for 9/10 users, rather then multiple card solutions that barely anyone is going to take advantage of. Just my opinion though...

5. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    I feel the same way, but developing so advanced and complex chips is becoming increasingly difficult. See whats happening with CPUs, server are using multiple cores ages ago, you scale performance as you wish.
    When scaling large amount of cores in cpus and gpus becomes normal and supported at default, you can make them simpler and more efficient, and just add them in numbers to develop the performance you want. Unitary supercores won't make sense in the future.

6. author

author Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD4870X2
    Yes, big it is and still 8800GT beats it nicely. Maybe next time again
    Ati.

7. UG_PL

UG_PL Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD3850 512MB @ 770Mhz/925Mhz
    What are you talking about kid? Single 8800GT beating HD3870 X2? ... wake up and read everything. newbie :biggun:

8. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    He's probably thinking about just the 3870, the 3870 x2 isn't out yet so it hasn't been reviewed. But I'll be interested in seeing its performance when it comes out.

9. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    (off topic)Heyy UG_PL i see your getting a 3870xt. Which model did you choose? and what you upgrading from. I've had a look at the benchies and also the features on the card and tbh i think im gonna jump to the red team. worked out i have got enough to get one of these.

I was going to do the 90 day step thing and go up to a 8800GT but I bought my card back in may so now it has run out. -_-" So im gonna say goodbye to my 8800GTS which I will sell to my mate who is in desprate need for a decent GPU.

(on topic) That card (HD3870 X2) its a living monstosity.

I want quad crossfire :wanker:

10. XeonX2

XeonX2 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti
    the 8800GT isn't that great even with amd and its ****ty drivers the single version of this card pretty much owned the 8800gt and this x2 version is indeed a monster i seriously want to see it go head to head with nvidia d9e series after amd improve their drivers.:vader:

11. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    dude my x1900xtx 512 isnt even that big dude the 3870 is as wide as themobo is and my card is probally half as wide as my mobo

12. nOv1c3

nOv1c3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2X VisionTek HD 4850
    quad cores setup are not about raw horspower :p . Its for these insane flight sims fanatics that want sh*t loads of monitors hehe

13. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    To me the X2 looks about as long as a 8800 GTX.

14. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I think we may need a pic with both cards in it side by side to see which one is really the longer one.

15. UG_PL

UG_PL Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD3850 512MB @ 770Mhz/925Mhz
    Its a little bit longer than the X1900 series . If thats a standard mother board ,then it is 3 -4 cm longer from X1900. Still 2 cores and it looks not that long...
    ohh... it looks beautiful compared to 7950 GX2 :puke2:

jazziam you have a PM .

16. dvrocc

dvrocc Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800GS 256mb AGP
    Dude! Dude!! Dude!!!

1000 fps CS: Source look out!

I think Nvidia just got slaped

17. ProfBP

ProfBP Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX
    HEY! I resemble that remark!:nerd:

Seriously though that card is way too long for me, kinda drives me nuts how long the cards have gotten, how hot they run, and how much power they take! :bang: But I am glad to see ATI/AMD going in the right directing, some what, with their 3850 and 3870 cards.

BTW, I only sim on one monitor.:)

18. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980Ti
    That's what i thought after looking at those pictures.. so it's not really that long.

19. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    i think 4 or those or 2 of those with 2 chips are as good as 2 ultras in sli

20. Matt.Higgins

Matt.Higgins Active Member

GPU:
    Asus EAX1950XT 256mb
    i dont know how you can say this tho... theres no specs out for it?

unless its the same as 3870 specs... then id expect the 3870X2 to have a little less FPS then 2 3870's crossfired

am i rite?