Blood remaster announced for PC

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Kolt, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    https://gematsu.com/2018/12/horror-first-person-shooter-blood-remaster-announced-for-pc

"From Nightdive Studios"

YESSSSSSSSS

EDIT: More info

About Blood

Originally released in 1997, Blood is a first-person shooter that helped redefine the genre and first introduced many elements now accepted as commonplace. In Blood, players jump into the boots of undead gunslinger Caleb as he seeks revenge against the dark god Chernobog. Caleb’s arsenal features a mix of standard and occult weaponry, which he uses to devastating and gore-filled, effect. In the game, players visit a terrifying world populated by hordes of bloodthirsty fiends including cultists, gargoyles, zombies, hellhounds, and an unholy host of other terrors.

Remaster Team

The team working on the game at Nightdive Studios includes lead engine developer Samuel “Kaiser” Villarreal, whose previous work includes The Original Strife, Turok, Turok 2: Seeds of Evil and, most recently, Forsaken Remastered. Additionally, developers Edward Richardson, James Haley, and producer Daniel Grayshon will be working on the project.

Upgrades

Originally developed by Monolith Productions and released in 1997, Blood remains a fan-favorite and will receive enhancements to improve the action-packed, horrifying game experience.

Blood stood up extremely well over time and we are taking care to preserve all the qualities that made the game so special,” said producer Daniel Grayshon. “It really only needs minor updates to provide a better user experience for contemporary audiences. By using some of the functions of Nightdive’s KEX engine, we’ll be able to provide compatibility with today’s video standards, with DirectX and Vulkan support.”

Grayshon continued, “Similarly, we’ll provide compatibility with the current audio standards. We’ll add support for modern networks, Steamworks, and GOG Galaxy to bring this original game to more players. As part of this, we will preserve the accuracy of the game behavior. While these upgrades are relatively minor, we are confident that they will provide fans with a better, current generation gameplay experience.”

2. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yess! Indeed!

3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    [​IMG]

tensai28 and TR2N like this.
  4. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    YES! IT LIVES AGAIN! Scratch that

5. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Cool. I played the crap out of Blood 2 :D (but also played the 1st).

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    This is fantastic news. Because, naturally... the exact thing that I of all people need.... is another copy of BLOOD.

[​IMG]

But, this is some of the best damn news I've heard in a long time. And I can not wait.

7. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I was waiting for you to post. lol

BangTail likes this.
  8. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Everyone needs a little Blood in their life. :)

This is great news, and I am really excited. I hope this leads to a remaster of Blood II. Fix all the issues and problems. That would be so damned great.

Kolt likes this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Haha i was wondering when you will comment seeing how long you have that avatar. :p

10. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I've had this avatar since the original 3DRealms forums. And I joined those forums originally back in... 2001, or 2002.

BangTail and Kolt like this.

11. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Oh very nice. I like Blood too, I got the GOG version for now.

That remaster is from Nightdive so count me in. They've made a great job on Turok 2 (and Turok 1 too, but T2 is just beyond good compared to the original). The ONLY thing I hope they WON'T do, is to "rework" original levels, even if it's just one or two of them. I'm ok with their actual remastering work. But they should NOT take the "liberty" to redo in any way, shape and form an original map design and impose it to everyone. If anything, include reworked maps as an option somewhere in the menus, just don't force it.

12. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    The won't.
    They only reworked levels in Turok 2 to fix issues. Some of the level design in the original Turok 2 was... just... awful.
    Nothing in BLOOD is in need of any changes.

Zenoth likes this.
  13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Oh man that picture reminds me how much I miss those old big boxes. Blizzard's used to be my favourite.

14. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    I agree in terms of design sometimes it's not the best. But 'preservation' of original content is important in my book for games that aren't officially supported or being produced anymore. The "vision" of the original map designers - be it efficient and well done or balanced, or not - should not be tempered with freely like that and then implemented in the game as the "new final" version of said map. It's plain and simple reworking someone else's work without their knowing, much less their consent.

Which is why I do not actually have anything against the principle of reworking a map for balance / gameplay purposes BUT as long as they make it optional. I had to use mods for Turok 1 to revert their changes and play the 'real original' one. I never asked Nightdive to rework anything nor was it absolutely needed. Nobody but a niche number of long-time fans would genuinely care about some places in some maps where things weren't that well balanced; heck most people don't even remember anymore because they're in their 30s or 40s (or more) and they got kids or other things to worry about.

Anyway, I could keep going on but the gist is: optional, if so, then I'm fine with it.

15. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I understand that.
    But, having dumped a lot of time into these two Turok games on my N64 when I was younger... I'm glad some of the level design was modified.
    It makes a better experience IMO, and with with these small changes (and they are very small), it still preserves this game's vision and style and does not take away from it's core design.

There are still tons of people asking for help getting through certain levels in Turok 2, even with the less "maze" like level design. Mostly because they didn't change them in huge ways.

But, look at their other work. They didn't change anything level wise in System Shock, Strife or in his private work with Powerslave.
    Blood will be fine. As Kaiser has expressed interest in working with Blood for years.

16. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    Brings back good memories, what is the time frame on this?

17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Nightdive have said they'll release more information over the next few weeks.
    I would expect... a release date announcement around Christmas.