BLIZZARD vs. BIOWARE

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by cjs007, Nov 18, 2009.

1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    rts/mmorg vs rpg's? why not compare them both with Valve as well?

2. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 4GB GDDR5
    Turn based or not, it does not make it a RPG or not.

The word RPG have been used a lot by developer. Like Bethesda calling TES4 and Fallout 3 RPG when they are mostly FPS/TPS or hack and slash adventure.

So, just because the creator say it is a RPG does not make it a RPG. The type of genre are hard to define clearly in this days and age since most developer are mixing elements. Its like the music type, hard to tell and everyone got their own definition.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yep, Dungeon Master by FTL (Faster than light). One of the best rpgs ever made... Probably my 2nd or 3rd favourite rpg ever! Course we bloody remember :)

4. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Because Fallout 3 is a RPG game..lol
    Just because the Developers decided to launch their latest installments in 3D , I think some of u guys are getting confused and since they've added more freedom and control to their games..

So according to some of u guys in this thread , Oblivion , Marrowind , Fallout3 , Diablo and Final Fantasy are all not RPG games..
    So ur saying the developers dont know what type of game they're creating and end up labeling things wrong ?

5. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 4GB GDDR5
    Dragon Age is 3D, Mass Effect is in 3D. And as I have said before, turn base does not make a difference on whether the game is RPG or not.

To a lot of people, RPG is a type of game enrich with storytelling and focus on those elements. Fallout 3 and Oblivion is lacking in this department and their focus is more about 'gameplay' than the story, 7:3 in ratio. People want good gameplay but they also want a good story in an RPG.

People are saying Oblivion, Fallout 3, Diablo should not be considered as RPG even the developer labeled them as RPG.

And all of these are of course, my opinion, just like the type of music. Everyone use different way to define the type of music.

6. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    I don't consider Japanese RPG to be true RPG, in the sense that the only thing you control about your characters are the stats and items they wield. Seriously, how is just modifying the stats and items "ROLE-PLAYING"? Most JRPGs just have you sitting through long cutscenes without influencing anything

I also don't consider Hack-and-slash games to be RPG either, simply because of the same reasons. Where's the real "Role-playing" other than just modifying your stats and items?

As many said, you can't really compare the two companies as they've gone into different genres. It'd be like comparing apples to oranges.

I'd still consider Fallout 3/Oblivion an RPG, just really bland

7. Whiteraven

Whiteraven Member Guru

GPU:
    (2X) BFG 8800GTS OC 640mb
    Blizzard ahd been around much longer then Bioware.

But Bioware has done way more then Blizzard has since it was formed.

Bioware is the King

Blizzard is the Devil

8. Wanny

Wanny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
    Even for my young age, I'm pretty much a big Bioware fan. When I tell my friends about Bioware, they won't even KNOW what I'm talking about or what are their games. They just know **** about Blizzard and activision (COD). They are fake gamers.

I mean WHO THE HELL doesn't know about Kotor games, NWN, jade empire? One of my best friend doesn't even know about these games. /sigh

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  9. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    In final fantasy 7, you are Cloud Strife. That's what your roleplaying. That's your identity. I really like the Final Fantasy series, with a few exceptions. I couldn't STAND ten, eleven bored me greatly, and twelve seemed just plain odd, but overall wasn't bad. As for Oblivion and Fallout 3, they are still rpgs. You make your own character, you have stats, they raise, you add on to them, and have different paths. Since Morrowind however they're leaning a lot more toward combat, which makes me happy and sad at the same time. Story value gets kicked in the face for some reason when they focus on that.

10. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    Yes,
    I thought Diablo was RPG?

But my point here was who is better NOW! Bioware/Blizzard?

I think Blizzard is washed up......:) Ain't seen shiiitttt in years.....

11. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I don't see how they're "fake gamers" because they haven't played one companies game line. I know a guy online that has played a lot of games, yet has not played a single Blizzard game! (Oddly enough he's a big fan of Bioware) I've never played any Bioware game except Mass Effect, which was pretty great. I'm going to get Jade Empire, NWN, and Dragon Age hopefully sometime soon.

EDIT: You don't mean they're those idiots that only play Halo and Call of Duty series and say lol out of game do you? I'd like to smack those people.

12. Wanny

Wanny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
    Yea they are WoW/COD fanboys. Maybe you havent played many Bioware games but you still know what are their games. My friend played Baldurs gate 2 and didn't even know it was bioware. I had to tell him. He was like who the **** are bioware? Riiiight. That's pretty much why I said they are fake gamer. Or maybe more blind gamers. ;)

13. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    They're gamers that play 2 series to absolute death, then claim to be masters of it all. They are the ones who annoy me 2nd most, right next to the Wii gamers that play only Wii sports and brag Kind of funny that they play WoW though... which is a very heavy sort of game when you compare.

14. bsc14

bsc14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 560 1gb
    Uhh....yeah. WoW xp packs have sold like mad and 5+ years after launch they still have 11 million players. Again Diablo, Warcraft and Starcraft have been HUGE hits.

Blizzard does not spit games out like crazy....they tend to make sure it quality before it comes out. This is a good thing in my opinion....they are one of the few companies that I know will put out a great game no matter what.

And you will be eating your words when Diablo 3 comes out.....Blizzard washed up? ha.....no way.

The next WoW xp pack is going to be huge as well as Diablo 3 and the new Starcraft. I thik they are all due sometime next year.

I'm not taking anything away from Bioware (I'm playing Dragon Age now and loving it), I think they are great but I think Blizzard is king of pc at the moment.

15. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Master Guru

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    WoW sells but that doesn't mean its any good. Warcraft, Diablo, and Starcraft were hits 10+ years ago. Those days are long gone.

I hope that Diablo 3 ends up great, but I'm not convinced yet that it will live up to Diablo 2's legacy. It remains to be seen whether or not modern-day Blizzard can do anything except pump out cheap WoW expansion packs.

The only thing Blizzard is the king of right now is MMORPG's. IMO they are no longer top dog in the RTS industry. Their last entry in the genre, Warcraft 3, was poor. Games like SupCom, DoW, and CoH have innovated and are IMO the top of the genre right now. Starcraft 2 isn't out yet but it looks like Starcraft 1 with better graphics.

There's no way Blizzard can currently be considered top of the non-MMO RPG genre since they haven't released anything since Diablo 2.

16. getsuga12

getsuga12 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX870M
    It's a matter of perception, because even though you take the role of Cloud Strife, you hardly do anything that influences the storyline except control battles and watch cutscenes. So to me, that hardly makes it an RPG experience, hence why I'm not fond of JRPGs in general.

And I did just say that I consider Oblivion and Fallout 3 as RPGs, just bland ones. You should direct that part to the other guy who said they weren't RPGs, not me

17. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    zelda is an action adventure, not an action rpg

hack and slash is of course a category, just because most reviews dont say it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, although these games are often said as action rpgs

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    i thought there was a POLL over here :(

BIOWARE is more close to my likings.

19. V4.SKUNK

V4.SKUNK Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GTS 640 (G80)
    Bioware is leagues ahead of Blizzard and always will be.
    The only really good games to come from Blizzard is Diablo2 and the Lost vikings.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    And the original Diablo of course.