Blizzard cancels Titan MMO after 7 years of development

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Madness, what a BIG waste of money and time!

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Quite brave to flush a project after 7 years of development.

I'm just wondering what they will show us at BlizzCon now, apart from StarCraft 2: Legacy of the Void.

Doubt they have much to show of a new Diablo 3 Expansion already.

4. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Why make a new game when they can keep milking WoW

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It's not milking, they simply have plenty of Lore left to build in WoW which is still solid.

CoD/BF is Milking, because it's the same **** over and over.

6. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Did any screenshots of Titan ever get released/leaked?

I would love to see what it would have looked like.

7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Slight detour, but your comment intrigued me; the days of military shooters are easing off now.

Science fiction is coming back now, finally. With destiny making the money it is, shareholders are looking to ride this new wave.

Titanfall, destiny, dust514/legion, the new COD, unreal and others with some arena-based fps; times are a changing my friend.

Modern-day military shooters peaked during 2012/2013, but we are moving on from the drab and depressing fps into kickass scifi.

Bring it on, bring it on.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I´m surprised by this. Titan was supposed to be the direct successor to WoW and now they cancel it just like that!? Are they going to replace WoW with WoW2 or something like that?

Not that i care too much about it because i don´t play MMOs. But i would love if Blizzard made Warcraft 4!

9. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    I would love to see some screens or concept art of it. I doubt we will see wow2 anytime soon, i reckon they will do at least 2 more expansions.

Warcraft 4 might be possible tho, would be awesome. It could be like a step between wow and their next mmo.

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I wouldn't call the lore in WoW solid, it hasn't been for years. They've twisted and retconned so much of the material it's unreal. A lot of the story isn't even in the game, you have to buy the books and/or comics in order to keep up to any degree. That wouldn't be so bad if not for the fact a lot of it contradicts itself, so much so that they were openly called out by a fan in a Q&A at Blizzcon a few years back. It's a shame because they did have the material to release a solid storyline, but instead chose to stretch out small and insignificant areas of the Warcraft lore. MoP is a prime example of that, they decided to cater to the fans and release the Pandaren as a race. That's fine, they should have gave them a start area just as with any race and focused on some of the lore they've had on hiatus for an age. Instead they built an entire expansion around them and saw record lows in subscribers.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Oh well, Blizzard has lost me since their merged with Activision, WoW went downhill from then on for me. Titan probably wasn't as profitable as they wanted it to be, so they'll proceed to milk dry what they have.

I couldn't agree more.

12. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Cool now they can crack on with Warcraft 4 (RTS).

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Worst mistake they ever did was to cancel of StarCraft: Ghost.
    It was moving great, visuals were good, they had books to support it with great stories.
    And they could have made revolution as they had resources to make FPS like Strategy later same way as CC:Renegade.
    And it would be totally cool to have customization like in WH 40k: Space Marine.
    People would go for it and they just shot themselves.

About Titan, which can be publicly called vaporware, I can't care less.

14. zmoney12

zmoney12 Guest

GPU:
    nvidia
    Welp this just made me sad for Blizzcon this year :(

15. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    WoW story has always been ****, it uses the worst possible mechanism for delivering it to you (Lore) and even then, you'd pretty much have to already be invested in the character you're reading about to give a ****.

I'm not surprised they don't want to move from WoW, there's no logical reason to, all they need to do is keep doing what they did back in vanilla (New raids, New gear, constant balance changes, etc, etc) and they'll keep the player base that enjoys that.

16. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    In my opinion, right now we have many games with this Concept, many of them are good or bad depending on the eye, i played WOW for many years, and i quit with pandaria, because the game turns boring and iterative. blizz probably make the most important question to any company: "this game is going to give us the money we have invested on it?", i don't think so, because the gender its just full and lacking on innovation.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The comments here are hilarious. They sunk 7 years and probably $100M dollars into a game to cancel it because they are "greedy" with WoW. Literally makes no sense and is a terrible argument. The real reason is probably what they said, game wasn't very good. And that the market for MMO's have shifted to a free to play model. Sub service MMO's are a dying breed and a company can't justify spending 200-300M developing a base MMO if they aren't going to recoup that costs from subs.

WoW's story was excellent. I quit after BC, but at the start the idea of them bringing WC3/2 to life in a light never seen before was definitely the selling point of the game. All my WC3 buddies during the beta were blown away by the attention to detail in the lore itself. It's what got them into the game.

I don't know. I just find it funny that you have companies like DICE/EA that roll out games in **** condition and people complain. Then you have a company like blizzard who cancels a game for not being up to standards and people still call them a **** company.

Wasn't it obvious that it would turn into from the start though? I mean did you expect an radical change in the formula without it being a different game?

18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I bought every single expansion for WoW, absolutely loved the game. It started to go down hill around mid WOTLK, and by the end of Cata they'd severely damaged a lot of the lore and mechanics that originally made the game great. The way they handled Deathwing (my favourite character in the lore) was a travesty. I didn't even get to max level in MoP, I just had no interest in it and quit after a short period of time. Going by the statistics available I'm far from the only one.

I am glad that they're willing to drop a project they feel is sub par however, not many companies do that. They've done the same in the past, so it shows that they still have an interest in quality control. I think they lost their way with WoW by trying to cater to the masses, and they went about it in totally the wrong way. They wanted 'everyone' to be capable of experiencing the story, and by doing so watered down the game and over extended themselves.

19. WolfPT

WolfPT Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 GAMING X
    Now that's a let down.

20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Man this is sort of a surprise and a let down. After 7 years you would think that they were close to one of those beta testing things that they invite a certain amount of users to. Also I am kind of surprised and kind of not because they did the same thing with Starcraft Ghost after several years in development

Also how much more can you add to WOW after 10 years. I think WOW is 10 years old now.

It is like Apple with OSX how many more little tweaks can you do with an OS that came out in 2001.