Black screen while installing AMD drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by moonman616, Jul 27, 2017.

1. moonman616

moonman616 New Member

GPU:
    8GB
    So this all started yesterday. I was just browsing the internet and a weird pattern showed up on screen(black and white rings enclosing each other). It was taking no inputs so I decided to hard reset the PC. But now when i start up PC i get stuck on black screen after the windows logo on startup. I thought drivers got corrupted so i boot up in safe mode and uses DDU to uninstall drivers.

The restarted PC and it booted up flawlessly. Then i went to AMD's official site, fill in my information and grabbed the latest drivers. But while installing the new drivers i get stuck in black screen during the installation and to boot the computer again, i have to uninstall the drivers using DDU.
    Could my GPU have fried? I should also add that i do not have any integrated display chipset on my motherboard so the only way to get a output is through the GPU itself. How is it able to display properly(but without drivers) when there is a probability that it is dead? I've also tried completely reinstalling windows 10 after formatting my C drive but it didn't help either.

Specs
    OS Windows 10 64 Bit
    CPU FX 8320E
    GPU Sapphire R-9 270X Dual X 4GB
    HDD Seagate 2TB 7200RPM
    Mobo gigabyte 970a-ds3p rev 2

The drivers i tried installing were 17.7.2 and 17.4.2.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    The generic driver doesn't enable all the hardware features, which is why it's working. Sounds to me the card may have gone marginal, and either needs a baking, or an RMA.

3. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Same happend to me, I did exacly like you. Installed 17.7.2 then startup the Bf1 the squere pattern shows up with freeze, rebooted uninstall safe mode with ddu
    Now when try update drivers screen go black, signal is as the monitor detect it. On standard Microsoft drivers it works.

In other words the 17.7.2 screw up our cards with are sachd7870=r9 270

4. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    EDIT: Fix it, baked :)