Black Screen, NO POST Test, Long Beeps after installation of utility in my Win_XP PRO

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by franklogus, Dec 23, 2004.

1. franklogus

franklogus Active Member

GPU:
    ATI All-in-Wonder X800XT
    Hi all !
    Just after installing one utility in my back up PC, which has the OS Win XP PRO SP1 (Award BIOS), I got some odd problems...
    1) I hear many and repeated LONG BEEPS;
    2) The system no more does the POST Test; so, I can not more to try to access BIOS or even an Boot Disk, because it no more "search for others drivers". It only turn on the red light of the cabinet/case, that means that it is using the HDD (and keeps beeping...).

I have some doubts about these symptoms: I read that long beeps can mean memory problems, but I am sure that it is not related to hardware, because I never had this kind of problem before to install this @#$&! software...

I did many attempts, but no success; for my surprise, after one "rest" of 2 hours (without turn on my computer), my PC worked and booted (it asked for the last valid configuration); so, after the (apparently) normal loading, I decided to utilize the "restore point" that I had created before to install this @#$&! software, in order to try to rid of this trouble. Everything was working well, Windows said that the restore was successfull, but, suddenly, the screen freezed again. After this, only long beeps and black screen...

Well, I need some advice about what I should to do in this event...

My big doubt remain: How can my PC give an alert of hardware problem, if it happenned just after the installation of this utility? One software issue can cause a hardware problem? I can not understand...

My PC basic spec is:
    - Processor: P4 2.8 533 MHz
    - MoBo: Asus P4SDX
    - RAM: 1.024 MB DDR 333 (Kingston Value Ram) - 04 sticks of 256 MB each one.
    - Gigabyte Radeon 9600 XT
    - 02 HDDs: 01 Maxtor 120 GB, 7200 rpm, ATA-133 + 01 Seagate 40 GB, 7200 rpm, ATA-100

Any help / information would be very appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!

2. DboneU68

DboneU68 Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 9800 XT
    Long Beep = Keyboard Error (usually) might be worth a shot.

3. Evil-Taco

Evil-Taco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtec nVidia 6800 GT Pci-Express
    Yep check your motherboard manule for more info on bios error beeps.

4. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

a program wouldn't stop windows from starting up the post

that is a hardware issue

never blame post failure on a software issue unless you have flashed the bios wrongly

5. franklogus

franklogus Active Member

GPU:
    ATI All-in-Wonder X800XT
    Thanks for your replies, DboneU68, Evil-Taco & {HLH} !
    I am not an expert on these matters (far from this), but its hard, for me, to believe that the problem is hardware related. AS I said before, I never had this kind of trouble (beeps) with my PC, and it began just after that I install this @#$&! utility and my screen freezed... Would it be an enormous coincidence?... Perhaps.. Who knows...
    Well, I will try to investigate what is happening; first step is to check my MObo's Manual and try to find another keyboard to switch with my current one...
    I am giving a bigger rest to my PC, to see if it boots again, but I am not much confident about this...
    Anyways, txs a lot for your attention, buddies. I will keep trying to find the solution...
    Thanks in advance for any additional information !

6. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    There are a few things you'll want to check right away.

1. CPU is seated correctly.
    2. Video card is seated correctly.
    3. Memory is seated correctly.

A dead CPU may or may not beep depending on the mobo type.....however a dead video card/memory chip, or memory slot, will beep. Especially if they are not seated correctly.

Test each one, one at a time.

7. adrichardson

adrichardson Guest

Also try only booting with one stick of ram.

Could be your hdd is on the way out. My last machine intermitanaly refused to detect the hard drive in the bios right before the drive died on me, but you say you can't even start the POST cycle?

From the beeps I'd say check your CPU is seated right, check your video card and memory and try a different keyboard (longshot - mine tells me if there isn't one).

I'm sure it's hardware related as the problem is too low level to be anything software related. You might also try clearing your cmos.

Hope this helps!

8. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Not sure how long it's been since he's seen this post....but going back to reading the thread topic:

What utility?

Beeps usually indicate a loose connection, or a failed component. BIOS' error options normally default to "All but Keyboard", or "All but Disk"...so chances are even if you unplug the keyboard you may not get a beep.

So, that brings us back to the original post question.....What utility did you install?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2005