Black Screen at startup and Reboot

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I use to have PC startup with a black screen. I would turn the PC on then the monitor and nothing would come up on the screen. This didn't happen all the time. It started out once every other week or so. Nothing to worry about as I couldn't replicate it and it happened so infrequently that I had no way to address it. However, things got worst as time went on. And it included more frequent reboots from desktop that would cause a black screen then anything else.

It would do that for weeks on end until it got worse. Startups would black screen more often and reboots would black screen or take a very long time. It got to a point were I started to notice it taking a long time to bootup into windows even though I didn't get a black screen. At this point things got progressively worst. I though I had some additional odd 5700xt blackscreen issue that effected me during bootup/reboot (which wouldn't have been a driver issue at this point).

I did some research online (as I thought it might have been a memory issue) and stumbled across an article about black screens and was elated to discover the cause, the SSD. Even though the SSD never regressed in performance it was said that the capacitors were going bad. Whatever power circuitry is used it would only seem to act up during a power cycle of the SSD. As long as the PC was at desktop it seem to work. However, I cannot say for certain how often it was the SSD or those drivers when I was getting black screens during desktop.

I've since replaced the SSD and instantly noticed that I've no longer had startup and reboot black screens. Bootups are fast again. What shocked me was that using a usb to transfer data was much faster then before. Something I've had problems with for years. I was an early adapter when SSD's came out so I had this one for a long time. Although since then I've replaced the old sata cable as it was twisted.

I've waited a long time to post this as I wanted to be sure it was the SSD. And I am happy to report that I've not had any of those issues since. However, I cannot say with certainty if the SSD was causing my desktop black screen issue I was having last year either or if it was those October 2019 drivers. As I can count on 1 hand how many times I experienced that at desktop.

Side Note:
    Incidentally, I began noticing this right around the time I got my 5700xt. I honestly don't recall having this issue with my Fury but that's going way back several months and I really don't recall

2. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX 480
    That's interesting. I really do think there are a range of things causing the black Screen issues on Navi based cards. Thanks for posting this one.

3. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    In my case there was. When I read all the post of people having black screen issues while booting it reminds me of what I went through.

4. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Supposedly, we're about to be treated to a HUGE release)

Hoping the fix will also help with my lock-up problem.

5. Lipici

Lipici Member

GPU:
    You're delusional, go out and enjoy your life or buy an nvidia card.
    Until now was the psu, needed to be a 750 w golden certified, now its the ssd, next you'll say thay your friend pc has the same problem and it was from the apartment window, needed to be open and your mother pc as well has the same problem and it was from water, needed to be hot.

6. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    It's very clear that you have comprehension difficulties. And your "plug for a nvidia card" has no relevance. It only servers to reveal your allegiance IMO. It's clear you are triggered. :D

As a new member here I've reviewed your prior posts and none of them have anything to contribute. Just a lot of whimsical nonsense. Since it's clear you are this upset with my experience in the OP and is now a blight on your very existence you should, I know it's hard for you, take your own advice and get some sun shine. ;)

BTW, thanks for the bump!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020