Black Mesa Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Outrance, Apr 6, 2011.

?

Black Mesa is out - Was it worth the wait?

1. Yes!

137 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. I expected a little more, but still like it.

31 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. I'm a little disappointed.

14 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. What were they doing this whole time?!

14 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. ****** **** ***** ****!!!!

17 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If your logic was sound then arcades would still be kicking.

And I like music from the 60's and 70's, what's your point? Listening to music is not interactive.

And the reason I posted is because I constantly see people saying, "HL1 is the best game!", and other quotes along those lines. So I wanted to see what makes the game still so good that it can be called even a good game in this day and age.

Put another way, if I would release HL1 as it originally released but today and with a different name, would anyone even take two glances at it? I doubt even one person would.

2. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Hmm let's see what IGN had to say at time of release...

Why still bother after such a long time? Why bother to add : and now it looks stupid and old and other games are better IMUO in 2012? It already looked stupid and old back then. Fact is, no one gave a **** back then, let alone now when it's widely regarded as a classic masterpiece. Applying logical fallacies and rhetoric isn't going to help, it's only generating disbelief.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I never thought it was the classic many did, but it was and still is a hugely enjoyable experience, so having the chance to experience it with improved visuals is still something i'm really looking forward to.

Not convinced anyone playing isn't affected by nostalgia though, no way you can go back to an old game you used to love and not use nostalgia to improve the present day experience.

As for black and white having lower image quality, it actually can have better image quality, it just doesn't have colour, black and white photography is still very popular, and some of the detail in old black and white movies was far better than most of the colour ones that followed them.

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Agreed. Get a Nikon D800 having 38mp & shoot in b & w. It oozes in quality...

5. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    So why are you comparing it to cars?

The IGN quote nails it:
    The real secret is that Half-Life is truly the sum of its parts. It takes every element in this oh-so-predictable genre, re-examines it, improves it, and then meshes it with the rest to create a constantly surprising, internally consistent, and always entertaining game.

HL1's singleplayer is still better than most fps' that are on the market today. It surpasses games like Call of Duty with ease. Only on the graphical level it can't compete. If that's the dominant standard you use to judge a game if it's good or not, which seems to be the case, you won't enjoy it at all. Black Mesa could be the solution for you then. I'd urge you to try it out when it's released. You might be suprised.

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Again, I ask, why does it matter if so many people hold the game to such a standard? Why is this such a big deal to you?

Yes, Half-Life is an "older" game. But, that doesn't change the fact that it's incredibly fun to play (until you get to Xen, then it's like a horrible game of first person Mario).
    And, Half-Life was ahead of it's time by laying out the standard formula for most modern shooters. Being linear, with strong scripted sequences, adding in atmosphere and solid pacing to help move the game forward.

But, as I said before, your hang up that just because a game is old means it can't be fun is crap.
    Like I said, I'm replaying Blood (1997) and having just as much as I did when I first played it. Same can be said for a TON of other games from that time.

7. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
  8. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    [​IMG]

Fond memories of the female assassin fights :)

9. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    fond?? just thinking about hearing that clack clack clack of them running above...then below...then behind you...!!! waugh

...wha? i play old games all the time. my favorite game ever is galaga!

well on that, we agree. wat i was pointing out is that simple technical advancements dont actually inherently bolster the quality of the work produced. just my opinion, of course, but it makes perfect sense to me.

didnt actually see your response until just now, massive delayed reply i know

10. The Michael

The Michael Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    They were also talking about a multi-stage release, whatever that means...

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Huh?

Just to name a few old games that i've played recent, and i've enjoyed them all very much

Betrayal of Krondor - 1993
    Heroes of Might and Magic - 1995
    Heroes of Might and Magic II - 1996
    Final Fantasy VII - 1997
    Redneck Rampage - 1997
    Fallout - 1997
    Fallout 2 - 1998
    Blood - 1998
    DarkStone - 1999
    Outcast - 1999

What exactly does a game being old have to do with if someone enjoys it?

and, if what you are saying were to be true, that it's not possible to enjoy old games anymore (which logically makes no sense, if they were enjoyable once, then they can be enjoyable still), then why does www.gog.com exist? and why is it successful?

12. The Michael

The Michael Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Ah damn, i remember that one!

I laughed so hard at the dialoge the two guys had, the game itself was also pretty rad.
    This game should get a sequel, really.

13. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    it "sorta" did

Redneck Rampage Rides Again

there was also Redneck Deer Huntin'

and Redneck Rampage: Suckin' Grits on Route 66

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/redneck_rampage_collection has 'em all :) (except deer huntin', it seems)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  14. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    My problem with old games is the outdated graphics and especially no support for my 2560x1440 native resolution. Gameplay wise I can still enjoy most of them, it's just the visual part that makes it a bit difficult.

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    understandable, to a degree, and some of them (obviously not most of them) can support native resolutions

but outdated graphics don't really matter as long as the gameplay is fine, i mean sure, i'm waiting and waiting and waiting until they ever release FF7 Remade, and the reality is i don't hold onto the hope, but yes, i'd love most of the old games to be completely overhauled with the exact same gameplay, but just because it hasn't or won't, doesn't mean the games aren't fun (and yes i realize that's what you said, just pointing out that was the point of my post)

16. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070 8GB
    Everytime this thread is being bumped i end up being disappointed with no DL link :p

17. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Every time this thread is being bumped I'm slightly more disinclined to respond to anything in it.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    this is gonna be the oldest alive thread on the forum ever! lol

19. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Vapourware i reckon,if not by the time it does comes out people probably wont be to bothered tbh.

20. The Michael

The Michael Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Black Mesa Options:

[​IMG]

Source