Black Mesa Thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Outrance, Apr 6, 2011.

?

Black Mesa is out - Was it worth the wait?

1. Yes!

136 vote(s)
    64.2%
  2. I expected a little more, but still like it.

31 vote(s)
    14.6%
  3. I'm a little disappointed.

14 vote(s)
    6.6%
  4. What were they doing this whole time?!

14 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. ****** **** ***** ****!!!!

17 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think it's safe to file this under vaporware in the meantime.

It's not like HL1 is THAT great of a game by modern standards. Sure it was great by 1998 standards, but 14 years have passed with modern games offering a much more immersive experience along with much better gameplay and AI.

Nostalgia is nice, but the hard truth at the end of the day wins out. So recreating an experience that was severely limited by 1998's level of technology is just plain stupid to me. If Valve would make HL1 today it would be nothing like the original.

2. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    IMO the only thing "modern games" offer over HL1 are better visuals. Just my opinion of course. And I'm 100% convinced BM isn't vapourware.

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm honestly curious, what makes HL1 so good?

Is it the AI? Can't be, damn things are beyond braindead. Not the fault of the devs, just the processing power and coding available at the time.

Can it be the gameplay? Everything non-interactive, linear scripted shootouts. Nah.

Storyline? Maybe. But with the dozens of games that have come along since with far superior stories, I don't think this should be too much of a credit.

So what is it that this game offers over modern games and 14 years of progress?

4. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    You call the last 14 years progress!? lol. I don't in many respects.

What I personally remember from the game was the good story line. The way the game pulled you in. The way the AI soldiers towards the middle of the game (ish) would strafe around you and attack you from all sides trying to flank you slowly. Not many games have done that so realistically since.

5. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti
    Totally agree.

6. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    That's like saying because a film is black and white and older it can't possibly be as good as a more modern one.

Does not compute.

7. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    How about... nostalgia.
    Or fun. Half-Life may not do anything that modern shooters don't do, but it has a nostalgic flare to it that I still prefer to some modern releases.
    It may not tell an emotionally gripping story, or even tell a story as well as some newer releases.

But that doesn't take away from the impact it had on PC gaming and the shooter genre when it released.
    And you can't really say "14 years of progress" when the majority of that progress has been in graphics. Most modern shooters still use the formula that Valve crafted with the original HL.

You'll find what makes Half-Life special to people today, and the reason most still hold it in such high regard is due to the nostalgia and the impact it had on them when they first played it. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Also, how could anyone file this mod under "vaporware" when we've just watched a clip of footage that's roughly five weeks old?

8. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    How about that it's fun? Or that the levels are nicely done?
    I don't think its nostalgia, i mean there are games now that i can breeze through, yet some HL1 levels do stand out. Same with HL2.

9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    No.

You are comparing two completely different mediums, with the biggest difference between the two is that one is interactive (and has to judged as such) and one is non-interactive.

And yes, black and white does take away from the effect that color gives. Just look at the films of WW2. Up until recently they were almost all in black and white, but the History Channel said it best the impact that color gives:

(*Shows black and white footage with words overlaid)
    "Here you see a scene of mud with a fluid running across it, is it blood or water?"

(*Then it cuts to color footage of WW2*)

So yes, a film in black and white is inferior to a film a in color on that merit. If it wasn't so, then we would still have black and white films as a standard. That doesn't mean the film wasn't enjoyable for it's time.

10. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Care to link to videos of the levels that are so fun. I am honestly curious to understand what you all still see in this game besides nostalgia.

11. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    Why do you care so much if people enjoy Half-Life these days?

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I can go back and play HL1 and have a great time. It has nothing to do with nostalgia, I didn't even play the game until 2003ish when HL2 was announced. It has to do with the design being near flawless. The pacing of the game was excellent. The story gave you just enough information to give you reason to play, but allow your imagination to do the rest. The environments are to this day probably some of the best. No one has been able to recreate the "holy **** this place is creepy huge and awesome" feel yet.

As far as I'm concerned Valve is godmode of game development.

13. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    by your logic doom or the original UT are now bad games. its one thing to assert your opinion or distaste for something; its another thing entirely to posit that it is of inferior quality than things you prefer.

14. Anagke

Anagke New Member

GPU:
    Asus HD6850 DirectCU 1GB
    I played almost every FPS that's come along since since Wolfenstein 3D and constantly recognize familiar parts of Half-Life from crawling through air-ducts, to interacting with various machinery, to hazard suits in many of them. Much like ubiquitous exploding barrels dating back to Doom 1.

A good analogy I think for HL1 would be how The Beatles changed pop music by adding meaningful lyrics beyond the simplistic style of others bands of the day. Practically everything that followed either imitated or was at least inspired by them. In a similar way HL was at first expected to be another Quake clone but surprised everyone with story-based action and environmental puzzles built upon the successful combat aspect of previous shooters. Duke3d may have introduced "character" to the shooter formula of Doom/Quake, but HL completely reinvented the genre. Great modern single-player FPS (such as FEAR, STALKER, Crysis, Metro 2033, etc.) all reuse elements and ideas first popularized by HL. Technology continues to evolve but the core gameplay of FPS games still owe much to HL and it remains a highly influential milestone.

15. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes they are.

If you give the original Doom and Doom 3 to someone who has never played video games before (and is not biased) and ask him to rate the games, how do you think he will rate them?

In a similar way, it's like touting the virtues of a Model T against a modern car. Sure the Model T was amazing for it's day, but time passes and it becomes an obsolete and horrible driving experience compared to any car today.

No one is saying that in 1998, HL1 wasn't on the top of the world. No one is saying that in some ways it didn't add to the gameplay formula that modern shooters have built upon. But calling it a good game in comparison to most modern games is not fair.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

16. kanej2007

kanej2007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah man, I've been playing Half-Life since it was released (1998) until now.

Like you I can go back anytime and replay it over and over again.

Half-Life had great pace, levels/environments, story & kickass music that gave you goosebumbs when played...

17. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 @1.55ghz
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha

doom 3 was crappy hehe. doom? i dont know, it would depend upon whether or not this no-vidya-playin person is a hardcore shooter freak on the inside or not. regardless, one random persons opinion isnt wat defines a 'good game'.

your point here is flawed. youre asserting that casablanca is terrible and inferior because it is b&w, has a simple story, and has no special effects - and futhermore - that, say, the movie 'never back down' is inherently superior because of new/trendy filming techniques, better equipment, & a modern approach to storytelling. even if you take a GOOD recent film for comparison, you still cant qualify things in such a simple manner.

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Ok then, I dare you to go ahead and play the original Doom and try to enjoy it. Go ahead, give it a whirl.

You are taking me out of context.

What I said that on certain merits B&W films are inferior. You cannot sit there with a straight face and tell me the image quality is great. You cannot tell me that you can infer from an image roughly what drink someone is having. You cannot tell me if the grass is green or starting to die.

Same goes for the sound, etc.

And again, it is a non-interactive medium so it is not comparable.

19. MarkyG

MarkyG Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Just accept the fact that people, such as myself and others on here still like the original Half-Life and are indeed looking forward to the release of Black Mesa. You've more than made your point that you dislike the game. Good. Move on and play something else.

Oh and classic Doom still rocks, even today. In my opinion of course.

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 Ti
    You happen to complete not understand, don't ya?
    I've got Doom and Doom II installed. They still play great. I've been replaying Blood and Redneck Rampage the past few days and having just as much fun with them as I did back in 1997.

And really, I fail to grasp why this is such a big point for you.
    There's a reason a site like GoG.com thrives so well. Because people love and enjoy these older games.
    And just because something is old, doesn't mean it's inferior or has lost it's charm.
    I enjoy music from the 80s and much, much earlier. Evil Dead is still one of my all time favorite movies. It's age, and there being newer "horror movies" doesn't take away from the fun it gives.

And be it "interactive" or not has little to do with it. Your whole point is based on the concept of "it's old, so it's no fun no more" and that is a complete load.
    If you can't enjoy Half-Life, and don't want Black Mesa, then why post in this thread.