Black-boxes mandatory in US Cars by 2015

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Outrance, Apr 25, 2012.

1. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Seems a bit ironic that someone frequently tasked with the monitoring of others, is expressing a distaste of being monitored. Don't mind me, it just made me chuckle a bit.:)

2. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I have to disagree with your assertions. How exactly will this be used to increase premiums and invalidate claims? It will (or at least should) do just the opposite especially as it relates to invalidating claims. Really, I just don't get your logic with this. You of all people in this forum should understand how a device like this can really help identify events of an accident - relying on skid marks, eye witnesses, conflicting stories, people involved blaming the other, etc, etc - at least with some real data investigations can cut down on a lot of ambiguity.

If this device were more than it is I can see potential concerns, but just recording the last minute or so of data is so insignificant. The only time a person should be concerned is if they caused an accident and try to lie their way out of it.

3. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Yes that is ironic. :)

4. KCjoker

KCjoker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    I didn't say it would be a smart thing to do but there are a lot of people that would rebel against the "big brother" syndrome and buy older cars instead.

5. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Or you could just buy the car, and pay to have the box removed, or hacked. Have the firmware wiped so that it doesn't record anything... or just disconnect the power.
    You may be fined should you get in an accident, but no one can simply pop the hood and spy on you, if that's your fears.

I don't see this as a problem, on the road, my biggest fears, are other drivers, not my own driving. I'm confident with my own driving, it's getting hit by some derp on a cell phone that i worry about. Which is why i'm cool with the idea of even having cameras in my car.

6. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb

I think the subset of people is relatively small and eventually they will have no choice. People who take out the box and have an accident will be screwed; they will be assigned the fault (unless its clear that its not the case), the insurance will probably not pay up (because they love technicalities) and the government might even fine you.

This tech makes sense; assigning fault and determining what happens in a traffic accident will be faster and involve less people.

7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    [​IMG]

:D

8. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    It is a great idea !
    Will help improve car protection over time !
    And help the justice do her job !