Black-boxes mandatory in US Cars by 2015

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Outrance, Apr 25, 2012.

1. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You people are ridiculous. It's not the government that produces these boxes. It's also not just the US that uses these devices. Honda, VW, Mercedes, BMW, and just about every other new car has these devices in them. You probably just don't know your car has one until you get into an accident and your insurance company makes them pull the data.

2. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz
    hmm didn't know that. So manufacturers are putting GPS enabled "black-boxes" in almost every new car? And recording all the data?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    No they don't contain GPS currently. With the exception of maybe OnStar for GM cars but I think that is separate from the blackbox.

It's not a constant recording either. If you get into an accident the computer dumps all recent data into the blackbox so it can be retrieved if necessary.

Say if you get into an accident and you kill someone, the data in the blackbox could be used against you in court to prove that you were driving like a maniac.

4. eat@joes

eat@joes Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire AMD 6850
    I think it's perfectly fine as long as insurance companies don't change your rates by pulling data off it, or raise your rates if you have an old car without one. I believe Cadillac includes them with their cars as well as newer Toyotas. It's only bad if the insurance companies use them to make money off you.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You can't pull data remotely off of them. You have to physically have the black box in hand to get any data out of it.

6. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Don't see anything wrong so why not?

7. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    Technically, you can.

8. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    They have been going on about similar schemes here in the UK. They can stick it and I would take my chances in every possible way to disable such rubbish or I might as well sell my motorbike and ride a bicycle.

9. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Meh, just enjoying the simple fact that this is coming just too damn soon after the Supreme Court ruling in US vs Jones, barring the FBI from putting GPS trackers on cars at their own discretion, so it's actually FUN to explore the possibilities of a hidden agenda behind it. And existing EDR boxes aren't necessarily comparable to/compatible with what the US government has in mind with the mandatory boxes, or even accessible for anyone, as was the case with reading the Prius EDR boxes for which ONE laptop was available in the US. Any extra cost will likely be paid by US consumers.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    This is the part that interests me the most...
    That makes it sound like the vehicle owner is directly responsible for having such device installed on their new 2015 or newer vehicle......

Fortunately, this won't affect insurance companies in my state very much. My state has a set of guidelines the insurance companies are required to follow....such as requiring the insurance companies to pay on any claim submitted to them. I've had fun in the past with this guideline after an insurance company tried to deny a claim. It's also not the insurance company that decides who's at fault here....it's the police that determine fault.

11. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I'm against these sorts of schemes on so many levels. I hate being monitored do anything.

12. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX2080 Super

+1 Really we the people of the United states might as well just give up on this freedom talk I hear so many people talk much about. What freedom? Sorry I'm 50 years old, and when I was growing up there was so much more you could do, compared to now. Sometimes I wish all this technology we have created never had happened. We would be better off back in the horse and buggy days.

13. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    This isn't about monitoring you, or tracking you, or anything of the like. It's an "event" recorder, not a tracking device. In my opinion this is far better than the alternatives (tire skid analysis, eye witnesses, etc.) As has already been mention a lot of cars already have them and it's not like you are even aware of it if you do - is the government knocking at your door for speeding, or driving recklessly? No... The information contained in black box is very limited time or history wise. I think this is a good idea and I'm a huge freedom type guy who can't stand any kind of government monitoring, etc.

14. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    They will be used to increase premiums and invalidate claims. If Insurance companies are in favour then they are only good for one thing, Insurance companies.

15. KCjoker

KCjoker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Here's what this would really accomplish....used/older cars would skyrocket in price since they don't have the black boxes being in higher demand. Then we'll have yet another wasteful Cash for Clunkers program to get those older cars off the road.

16. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Cameras would be the better choice. Already you can record a lot of information from your car's OBD2 connector and a recorder, such as engine health, RPM, speed and much more.
    I'm installing a dash cam in my car soon enough, but i was considering also adding side and rear cameras.
    Only time someone wouldn't want something like this in an accident, is if it's their fault. As for privacy, as long as it's a closed system, there aren't really any privacy concerns.

17. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    It won't happen and black boxes are something that belong in F-15 Eagles, not a consumer vehicle. It is a violation of privacy laws and would serve no greater purpose in the end. Its just another threat of big hand control that will never see the light of day

18. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    Who wants to do preorders from shady car repair men who can hack ur blackbox :)

19. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    eh?

It's obvious why the insurance companies are in favour. It would make traffic cops and the sometimes long convoluted process of assigning fault obsolete.

Someone crashes; check black boxes and assign fault = no hassle.

You honestly think the majority of people would give up buying a new car because of a black box? Its an event recorder not a GPS tracking station or a government sanctioned mega spy project.

20. -Ruin-

-Ruin- Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060 6GB
    All the more reason I will keep investing in older cars :)