Bizarre issue I can't figure out

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Cartman372, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    So I've put together a computer for my mother using some spare parts, specs below, and I'm having an odd issue with the graphics card that I just can't figure out. As soon as I install a graphics driver (any version) I get no video output after windows boots. I'll have video output until the windows loading circle on bootup, then it goes black. If I uninstall the graphics drivers using safe mode, I can then boot normally. Any ideas on this one? I'm using an HDMI to DVI cable that's known good. HDMI from the GPU to DVI on my monitor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes the CPU and RAM specs are ridiculously low but it's what I had laying around and will suffice for now until I upgrade my setup and give her my 3570k, motherboard and ram.

Motherboard: Lenovo Proprietary
    CPU: Intel Pentium E5500 2.8GHz
    RAM: 4GB DDR2
    GPU: EVGA GTX 1650 SC Ultra
    PSU: Corsair CX650M
    SSD: Samsung 500GB 860 EVO

2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Unless for some reason your graphic card does not like HDMI to DVI cable it looks to me that your graphic card is faulty or some kind of incompatibility with the motherboard (but then it would most probably end at bios screen).

EDIT.: Jesus, overlooked that 4GB RAM, HeavyHemi could be right.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I've seen folks have decent luck going back to X58 for modern GPU's but the 775 platform has no idea what to do with and address 4GB of VGA memory in Windows. The base VGA driver works because it only uses a limited amount of memory. The spec is they have to be backwards VGA compatible for basic boot BIOS function. I suspect this is a compatibility issue with the BIOS. Do you have another GPU you can test the card in?

4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    There are 2 types of HDMI to VGA adapters, with one being passive and the other being active.
    The active adapters, like this one, are the only ones that work(may be).
    ------------------------------------------

5. Hi @Cartman372

• Download/Extract/Run - Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)
    • Choose "Clean and do NOT restart"
    • Download/Install 'Speccy Free'
    • Disconnect your Internet connection
    • Reboot PC
    • Attempt reinstall Nvidia drivers / reconnect Internet after successful installation
    • If it fails you're back at square one of course but in that event do me a favor; verify you're online and follow the next steps below.
    • Open Speccy > File > Publish Snapshot > Link here or DM, don't generate a text file.
    Some additional thoughts....
    • If you have another PCI-E slot on said Motherboard; switch the card to it
    • In addition reset your CMOS/BIOS - do it by unplugging your PSU & removing the lithium coin cell. (circular battery)
    • Wait at least a minute
    • After re-seating everything to it's previous state as you know dates etc time will need correcting
    • Thing is I'm wondering about a few things with this one; consider this it may be the actual Video Card.
    • Try another modern Video Card in the same computer if you're comfortable doing so & attempt to recreate the same scenario; if not there you go.
    I'll wait for your Speccy dump for now... Consider this, you're effectively troubleshooting - Cabling, your Motherboard, Monitor, GPU & (BIOS/Firmware, Software) lol yep

Note: Something to be aware of when installing newer GPUs on older hardware see video below - it will start at timestamp
    Timestamped Youtube clip - Explains conflict between legacy only BIOS motherboards and UEFI GPUs / and or UEFI only GPUs / some Hybrid UEFI GPUs and or simply POST UEFI GPUs.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2019
  6. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Bit of a long shot as I’ve only seen this setting on X58 motherboards, but if the bios has the option to increase the Memory Low Gap then set it to its maximum value and see if that does anything.

7. Deckie

Deckie Guest

GPU:
    Radeon
    Just a thought, is the DVI cable fully pinned? If not, or if not all the data pins are connected through the HDMI conversion, some monitors (like mine) can give this exact problem (only displays the boot up until Windows loads but works in safe mode resolution).

8. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    Well just use regular HDMI cable and connect it to TV. U will see if it work, then problem is cable.

9. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions. You guys were correct with the memory incompatibility for this particular chipset. We have an MSI B450M Gaming Plus, Ryzen 5 2600X and 16GB of G.Skill memory coming soon to replace the old stuff.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Along with a massive increase in performance and efficiency.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There are a few core 2 users running turing parts, but few and far between.

It was recently discovered that the x58 Rampage II boards that were thought to not be turing compatible just needed to have ACPI 2.0 enabled with an older board before plugging the 16x0/20x0 board in.

mirh likes this.