BioShock Infinite

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by S†v0r, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Setting the Min and MaxSmoothingFramerate to 59 and 61 respectively plus changing the two MemoryPool settings from 512 to 1024 seems to have reduced the stuttering for me but the game stills stutters more than it should do. I'm pretty sure it has to with my VRAM usage though as the stuttering occurs when it exceed 1.9 GB. Short of lowering the settings, I'm not sure what I can do to get rid of it.

Also, I'm puzzled as to why this game is even using 2 GB of VRAM in the first place as it is certainly not bad looking but there are lots of low-res textures and visually the game is not really astounding technically, it's more the superb art design that makes it look good.

I've been playing for what seems like 3 hours and I still haven't met Elizabeth yet... :3eyes:

2. MarcusarilliuS_

MarcusarilliuS_ Member

GPU:
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 670's
    I was just scratching my head for ages trying to figure out why there was no crowds and floating trees etc. and realised it was the background streaming.
    As someone mentioned in a previous post though, you have to start a new game.

But after I got to the same part and all was working ok, I decided to quit out and try at false again, as it was a complete stuttery mess.
    The scripted events were now taking place correctly but the stutter was improved.

I wonder do you just have to start the game with background streaming enabled and then quit out and change to False? Or when I reach the next checkpoint with it on False will it update the save file and break scripted events again?

It's a shame that it has issues with background streaming disabled as it's awfully stuttery with it on.
    Seems as it is a glitch in the Unreal engine though as I saw a few posts mentioning this in the past, regarding scripted events being broken if background streaming was disabled.

Hope they fix the stuttering with this enabled.

3. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    i originally started the game with bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=true
    played ~1hour, changed it to bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false and playing ever since, ~3-4hours with no problems like stated.

4. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    Ok. Works again...rechecked steam cache. Etc..and streaming is true..
    Also thanks to Marcel for the AO tip..i Set it to ultra and. Wooow. A steady 60 fps now.. Wtf..it looks better and the game runs flawwless now...vram usage also doesnt go wild anymore. Stays at steady 900 to 1015 mb...

I just dont get it now.. With baugrundtexturestreaming... Blla bla and ao to ultra the Game runs double as good as before lol.. Before i had 30 - 57 fps and ao at normal Plus streaming false.. Now its like a wonder to me..60 fps capped and that is steady . Only One Single drop to 56 now. Thats it. Im at the Spot again and all is good now. The two guys flipping the coins wherent even there before. Haha

Is there a way to use smaa instead of the Games fxaa?? Or is sweetfx working fine in dx11 mode?

GreetzBetA...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013

5. Dorak

Dorak Member Guru

GPU:
    XXX
    Tits. Got some infinite loading issue.

edit : fixed, bUseBackgroundLevelStreaming=false was causing the issue, have to revert it back to true

6. tw1st

tw1st Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080GTX FTW ACX3.0
    Does anyone know if there is a way to remove text from the skyhook (I don't mean the control panel option on gameplay) The text that says you can "attach" or the text that shows up when you want to "dismount" and jump off to the ground. Don't really need it. It shows a green glowy thing already.

7. Kaaskop

Kaaskop Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 1080A8G
    Some more alternative vs "normal" PP

Normal:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Alternative:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Can't get enough comparing both settings, big kudos to the person inventing this way of using PP :D

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    don't like alternate, makes backdrops look awful, like they're 2d sprites.

9. Placebo_Tony

Placebo_Tony Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I did some comparison screenshots to see the difference between high and ultra textures.
    Don't have time to post em but-
    Nothing. Nada. I took a few shots of wooden floors wall posters and whatever
    I could find in soldiers field and not a single dot was sharper or changed. I even reloaded the level.
    With high textures the vram seems to get as high as 1.98gb and stops there.

IMO there's some bad coding going on with the texture streaming, I'm no vram expert but it looks like it's not dumping the unused textures properly... It just keeps adding on and on and on until it reaches the vram limit.

These textures are not looking super uber dooper whatever and are sometimes even muddy... Nothing here justifies the vram usage.

We need inspector MaLDo:)

10. Kaaskop

Kaaskop Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX 1080A8G
    Not really...

But i guess people are used to awful bloom/blur/dof due to what's been spoonfed to them due to consoles..

11. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    I much prefer alternate, normal is a blurry mess imo.

12. Wanny

Wanny Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti GAMING 6G
    Is there something in-between haha? I like the fact that it removes cheap bloom, but it's also kinda blurring everything...

13. CSF90

CSF90 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabye GTX 980Ti OC
    Best looking PC game I think I've ever seen in motion - mostly due to the art style. It's just jaw-dropping at times.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Alternate looks no better than Normal from the shots. Normal makes me wonder if my eye sight has worsened and Alternate gives it a dated look. I'd prefer it blurred to hide them, I suppose.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Just met up with Elizabeth.

What a game!! The art style and level design has blown me away. Bioshock 1 did that too, but this is a whole new height of blown away (pardon the pun).

Performance wise, its pretty smooth. I get little stutters here and there when going from one area to the next and it seems to stutter a little.

Going to test with some .ini tweaks in the morning.

Going to use both memory pools upped from 512 to 1024, and min smooth frames 59 and max smooth frames 61 and see if that helps. Might test with bUseTextureStreaming=False but I might leave that on True as people have posted bad results.

There are other options I think might help, but I shall test them myself and report any decent finding back.

16. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Same here, and her animation is stunning. And the game world....I feel like I'm in some twisted, dream-state amusement park. Incredible.

17. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Graphically it can look very similar to Dishonoured in some places then Bulletstorm the next and then drags you right back to Bioshock 1 in the next instance, rinse and repeat as you progress. It's like multiple personalities all fighting over the same game space and it makes what you always considered would be the overall style of the game a very mixed bag indeed. Whereas the world of Rapture was perfectly unified throughout which I believe I much prefer at this current moment in time.

I used the sky hook for the first time only minutes ago and it was as fun as you'd expect. It has that progressive slow climb that you have on roller coasters as you reach the tip of the drop and then head over picking up speed as you do.

Honestly though so far I still think that had this been released as a completely new IP with obvious influences from other games none of us would have questioned it whatsoever.

The game also likes to throw out achievements at you for almost anything and everything, so often so at some points I wasn't even taking notice of what I'd just got them for as one after another after another popped up on screen. I'm expecting an achievement for the number of achievements I've garnered from start to end to pop up at the end.

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    XGame.ini

Was:
    [XCore.XScreenManager]
    bUseDefaultSafeRect=true
    SafeRectX0=0
    SafeRectY0=0
    SafeRectX1=1920
    SafeRectY1=1200
    MaxDefaultSafeRectAspectRatio=1

Became:

[XCore.XScreenManager]
    bUseDefaultSafeRect=false
    SafeRectX0=0
    SafeRectY0=0
    SafeRectX1=3840
    SafeRectY1=2400
    MaxDefaultSafeRectAspectRatio=1

And thus the HUD elements were pushed off-screen.
    (Aside from the crosshair but it's just a dot when the weapon is lowered.)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    Someone posted a YouTube comparison between all the settings from Very Low to Ultra and I'm amazed at how little difference there is between them. Check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97Xsy-2bcMc

20. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    Concerning the achievements "Couch Cushion X/200" or whatever it is. It's the constant updating of them that irritates the **** out of me as it's immersion breaking and overly distracting to boot.