BIOS, New Rig

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ampmoth, Feb 3, 2011.

1. ampmoth

ampmoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    I've read a lot of threads and posts regarding my MOBO performance and bios issues, and I was wondering if anyone would have any insight on how to fix mine. It always launches BIOS, but I am able to select boot options from inside it to launch Windows 7.

Every time I start my rig up, it gives me VGA beeps (one long followed by three short) but in my device manager since I've downloaded the drivers, it reads the card and my monitor without a hitch. It also gives me a CPU fan error message, but that is probably because I've plugged my fan connector directly into the PSU since it was coming loose on the MOBO for some reason. I read elsewhere that doing that is not a huge deal, it will simply run on full power instead of letting the MOBO adjust it as needed for the CPU.

Sometimes when it starts up, it will light up the error LED next to the memory and not give me a monitor display. I noticed this tended to happen after I unplugged the power supply cord to fiddle with anything inside the case. Reconnecting it solves the issue and it boots as I've stated above.

Any information, tips or pointers would be great. First time building one myself and I'm starting to feel a bit over my head now.. Thanks in advance.

2. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    i would suggest sending in the motherboard for an rma, but given the recent recall, you wont get a replacement for a fair while.

3. ampmoth

ampmoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    Yeah, I'm not really feeling the idea of sending it back because of the recall. I'd rather wait if at all. My question now is, will this damage the motherboard at all or is it just complaining it can't see them? Like I've said, I'm using the GPU once I'm on the OS so it is working. Can I just keep launching it manually from the BIOS and ignore the beeps until the new versions of the motherboard are out?

4. Mega_Death

Mega_Death Maha Guru

GPU:
    Are there any bios updates available?

5. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Just return your board during the RMA period. It's a voltage design defect. Your 3gbps SATA ports will degrade over time and then just fizzle out.

deltatux

6. ampmoth

ampmoth Member

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    I misunderstood the beeps since I was so tired at the time of doing BIOS. It was one long and four short, hardware failure. That seems it would be related to the occasional memory issues. Since the memory model I bought is not listed in the QVL list in my motherboard book, that could be my issue.

Going to get another set of memory from the lists provided and see if that fixes my issue.

I'll RMA it later when new ones are available or I will be pretty much without a computer for two months. Newegg extended the return period for the MOBO for 90 days, so I'll have time in the future to go about that when new ones are available.