BIOS freezes when trying to change any values...

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by mythor20, May 17, 2018.

1. mythor20

mythor20 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950GX2
    Hi all,

Long time it has been!

I have a P5Q Deluxe mobo, old I know but it is still good for me.

The trouble started when I shifted my PC while it was on and I heard the kettle plug by the PC's PSU arcing. And to think that this is from the power lead that came with the PSU!

The plug does not really fit tightly so it arced a bit, since then I cannot change any values in my BIOS except loading .my OC profile.

Now I do apologise if someone else has posted this exact fault although I doubt it, please let me know what to do, I dont want to lose my OC profiles as one of them is for standard speed non-overclocked, the other is for OC'ing my Q6600 to 3Ghz..

I have two BIOS chips, if I swop them around will this sort out the problem and will I lose my OC'ing profiles as I have long forgotten what the values must be.

The mobo also seems to have a flat cmos battery as the mobo doesnt keep the time and date (not that I can change it).
    I can move around the BIOS no problem but once I try and change a value it hangs...

Your help will be appreciated.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    yeah replace the battery, then post back what happens...................

3. WareTernal

WareTernal Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 380X XXX
    Loosing your OC profile would be the least of my concerns - it can be recreated, and at this age it might need to be changed.
    Have you had BIOS problems before? Why do you have a spare BIOS?
    Is the other BIOS chip programmed with the exact same BIOS version?
    If you do try swapping BIOS chips, I'd reset all the setting to default beforehand anyway.
    So if you move your PC and the plug falls out of the PSU then get a proper cable - that shouldn't ever happen.
    I tested this by gradually wiggling plugs out, and I cannot create an arc to a PSU - it just turns off.
    Try testing the PSU, or try a known good PSU(with a proper cable).
    So does the system work fine other than this?
    Go back to basics. Remove as many variable as you can - 1 stick of ram, no storage devices, no 7950GX2, only KB and mouse).
    You're not OCing now are you?
    Good luck!

4. mythor20

mythor20 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950GX2
    The mobo comes standard with two bios chips mounted on it,only one is in a valid circuit, it seems in 2009 I swapped them around and even updated the bios in one to resolve some booting or OC issues. I cannot for the life of me remember it. There are records of my old threads still here on Guru3d! After 10 years or so.

I want to keep my oc profiles or recreate them as the one is for stock cpu speed and configured manually with improved values compared to stock bios values.

and the other is oc'ed a bit for the near future in case my pc cant cope with newer s/w or something. I built my pc with a bit of future proofing.

I will replace the cmos battery and see what happens.And what a huge pity that my GFX wont work in win10 as Nvidia wont write new code for them to be compatible, it runs with windows standard driver but I cant play any games at all.