BIOS cold boot reset

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Abilio_KID, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Like the title says, for a couple days now, everytime I turn my PC on (I unplug the power cord every night) I'm presented with the default logo and a message saying my time/date is incorrect and I have to press F1 to enter BIOS and "fix" everything. This does not happen if I just turn the PC off and on after cold boot.

The PC is a mixed bag of old and not so old hardware. Money has always been short and I don't see a 100% reason to change the whole PC.

The machine:
    • Asus P6T SE
    • Xeon X5650 @4 Ghz (from a previous i7 920) - overclock and temps are fine though
    • 18 GB RAM (3x2GB + 3x4GB) - I know, all 6 slots full, sometimes it doesn't report the whole RAM and I have to fiddle with it (a pain in the rear...)
    • GTX 1070
    • Sound Blaster Z
    • 2 SSD + 2 HD
    • A few things connected trough USB (mouse, keyboard, wheel, camera...)
    • Corsair HX750 (getting old now)
    • Windows 7 x64
    The board is picky if I open the case and do anything inside. Even just spraying the dust is enough to make it boot with less than the full installed RAM. I know it's an old thing with x58.
    Lately it simply decided to boot with default BIOS settings. I though it was the CMOS battery so I replaced it with a new one but it didn't change a thing. I also tried to clear the CMOS (the proper way) and re-try the whole process. Like explained before, at cold boot the problem is there. After I put all settings back on, it gets fixed (until next cold boot).
    Another odd thing I noticed is, both BIOS and Aida64 report +6v on the +5v rail!!! Checked all cables and anything that could be causing a short-circuit but nothing changes.

The PC is working fine but that voltage makes me a bit scared. Could it be the ancient mainboard or the PSU trying to fry some eggs?
    At the moment I can't spare much, if anything at all, on new hardware. I may try to get a spare PSU to test it though.

I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me on this issue.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Have you tried second CMOS battery? Or have you checked the new one on voltmeter? Asking because the behavior is definitely points to it.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Yes, I tried a couple ones (all brand new). Even checked if it was properly seated.

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    May be there is a shortage somewhere - you can measure the impedance between the contacts of CMOS battery, I guess.

5. Abilio_KID

Abilio_KID Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Armor OC
    Well, after messing with it all afternoon, I noticed that the place where we put the battery had some kind of spots (oxidation?) so I scratched them gently with a screw driver. Trial and error and now it seems to run normal at cold boot. Will check the next time I turn the machine on. Definitely something must be failling or causing a short-circuit and I still don't know why it's showing 6v on the 5v rail...

6. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    If the board has Anti Surge Protector in BIOS, try disabling it and see.