Bios By Bret

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by bretware, Jul 25, 2008.

1. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. Nucleardesire

Nucleardesire Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 4850
    No Sapphire.

How much testing have you done with this BIOS, are you certain it is 100% safe for people to use?

3. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    Oops, two got left off, I added them.

Nothing had to be changed in the bios that could cause problems, Other than the 3d-High clocks, all other clocks that were changed were down clocked.
    680/1100 has proven it's self as rock solid and really 690/1110 is also solid, but I wanted some head room.
    The fan changes are also not a worry.

I've been working on them a week and must have flashed this card 100 times or more, without one single hick-up.

It's Safe,
    Good Luck
    Bretware

4. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    working nice, while fan is changing alot to keep around 52C in 2D, that sound coming from fan is acceptable, good job Bret.

5. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    It's a soft fan speed change I hope

6. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34
    Unfortunately, cards like mine cannot do 1100 MHz memory. It artifacts.

7. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    Strange, are you sure it's not from heat?

If it's not thats the feed back I need, Visiontek right, whats the best stable clocks you've gotten on stock voltage?
    thanks,bretware

8. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34
    I don't know if it's heat or not, I have my card fan running at 55% via profile tweak all the time.

My card is currently at 685/1075. Using 1100 on memory will seem to work at first, but eventually gives deltas (artifacts) in ATITool after ~3 minutes into the artifact scanner testing. GPU was at around 75*C according to GPU-Z.

At this core clock, I needed to set the vGPU to 1.158v with profile hack (default was 1123):
    Code:
            <Feature name="CoreVoltageTarget_0">
              <Property name="Want_0" value="1046" />
              <Property name="Want_1" value="1046" />
              [B]<Property name="Want_2" value="1158" />[/B]
            </Feature>

If I did not set such a voltage, it would start artifacting in ATITool at around 660 MHz or so.

I had to back down core clock from 700 MHz to 685, because Race Driver: GRID kept causing ATI VPU Recovery to pop and tell me that the GPU stopped responding to driver commands and had to reset the VPU (even though ATITool and all my other games ran perfectly fine at 700 MHz core [note: did not try Crysis, only tried CoD4 and CS:S]).

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  9. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    Sounds like a hot spot, I had a manual 65% fan, clocked 690/1110, and was easily hitting +72c with the case cover off under load.

With the manual fan fix most had a 60-65% profile for overclocking, I ran 65% and still got pretty hot.
    Hopefully some else has so more info on this
    bretware

10. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    1.123 is the default 3D-H voltage for these cards. It sounds like leakage due to heat, Thats why jacking the voltage works thru it, but the OK for 3 mins. is a big clue.
    With better cooling I bet the artifacts go away and you hit 690/1110 on default voltage.

11. BigAlBeast25

BigAlBeast25 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970 SLI OC
    thanks, works great. :)

12. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850
    Your doing some excellent work for this series Bretware and ATi should thank you. I did some testing with my current BIOS to assess the aggressive clocks you mention and are getting results similar to King-dubs.

For testing I used:
    GPU-z: to monitor clocks (confirm CCC), temps, fan%, GPU load;
    CCC: to modify clocks; and
    ATITools: to scan for artifacts.

If you see any flaws in my testing please don't hesitate to comment on the "experimental design". I would change the clocks in CCC, confirm the settings in GPU-z and then scan for artifacts, preliminary results are as follows;

GPU Mem GPU GPU Fan Artifact
    MHz MHz Load (C) % (s)
    665 1090 43% 54 70 0@500
    680 1100 43% 55 70 1@43
    680 1100 43% 56 65 1@41

I tried to create a log with ATITool but can't find it so I had to make observations by eye and thus the artifact/s is coarse. My temps are very good, importantly it is winter here so ambient is about 22C. I'm thinking there is a voltage issue here with my Sapphire and holding back the clocks.

Could you make a less aggressive BIOS please (660/1090) for those who may experience "artifacts" and potentially VPU in-game. I'm willing to generate more results if you need to provide greater resolution.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  13. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    Added 660/1090, thanks for the feedback
    bretware

14. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    how about CLUB 3D? surelly you cant leave a brand like that away :p

15. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    If you can get me a copy of that Bios I will add it. I can seem to find a copy of it.
    Thanks ,
    Bretware

16. Lowteckh

Lowteckh Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 @ stock
    Does fan speed need to be tweaked? Or did you do that already? No experience with this stuff :X Just don't want this to sound like a jet engine. Also... what's the idle/load fan speed like - variable or a set speed for everything? Again.. totally inexperienced with bios modding

17. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850
    Bretware has modded a BIOS that will change Fan speed relative to temp. So if your card is hot the Fan is high rpm (raising noise levels) managing temps and when surfing it is nice and quite.

18. Markgpl

Markgpl Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    I don't own one, but i think it's of great help releasing bios for mayor brands.

Shame that there isn't a hardware control for fan profiles/clocks, that works without resorting to flashing, it would be really helpful for different OS's, i don't know why fan profiles no matter the brand, come so much beta like.

I have a sapphire toxic that has a terrific cooler, but the fan changes speed every 1 second sometimes, from as low as 25 to 80%!, thanks rivatuner i have it under control, because trying to read news with that annoying little bugger making that pulsating sound was demential.

19. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Do that for HD4870 please xD, cooling is fine on HD4870 but i would like to have powerplay !:p

Is there any chance that AMD will FIX Powerplay ? WIth drivers or offical bios update ?

20. Lowteckh

Lowteckh Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 @ stock
    Did some playing around with the bios; thanks btw. Is there a way to set an idle fan speed instead of having it ramp up and down?