Big Bang: Start of The Universe, successfully re-created.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Pill Monster, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    *facepalm*

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's right. Which is why we will never see the beginning.

Don't know why you said 1000x faster tho.

3. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX580 8GB
    So. (Speed of light) is not a max speed limit.
    Or is it? It cant be...big bang theory is wrong or speed of light barrier is only in our stupid imagination..

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    For those of you interested in this sort of stuff you might want to get a free program called Celestia. A giant 3D map of what we know of the universe so far. Just install, set all the settings to high and customize the detail as you please. Personally I turn off labels of stars, there are too many and the screen literally is covered with star names. I turn up the amount it shows to the maximum rendered as scaled discs, gives a view almost 1/10th as nice as the real night sky.

Navigation in the program is somewhat awkward to use though, for example you can't just go to Mars from the "go to" option if you're out of the galaxy, you'd have to select Sol first. That and I can't seem to find any nebulae.

I was wondering if there was a program and/or website that would let the public have a real time view of the sky from a telescope, I found no such thing. Celestia is the closest thing I found.

There are apparently a lot of add-ons for it too, including data for fictional worlds from various TV shows like Star Trek, lol. - http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    If you're referring to the "something from nothing", I hear what your saying...

Maybe that's why they could only recreate just after it happened, instead of when it happened...

They'll prob say it was dark matter lol :D

Oh man you really need to stop posting...lol.:hatty:

Einstein was wrong. And physicists calculate universe is flat, so it's possible. That's what the whole dark matter theory relates to...They don't know everything but we learn more all the time.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    dp...

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
  8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Lol...

And yeah..Celestia is quite mind blowing...

9. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    don't understand y religion and God can't be two sides of the same coin, I believ God created the world through te big bang and evolution (gonna get flamed but neway)

10. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader Staff Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Well, here is what I know:

Nothing -> Big bang -> Inflation (Faster than speed of light) -> Post-inflation (Expansion is increasing. Speed isn't faster than light so far)

Now, depending on the expansion rate, the following possibilities are possible:

A) Expansion increases until it is faster than speed of light -> The Big Rip

B) Expansion slows then starts contraction -> The Big Crunch (or Big Bounce, depending on what theory you like/believe/etc)

C) Expansion increases very slowly and can't exceed light speed -> Nothing (that I am aware of)

Regarding the speed of light, there is a catch, nothing in space can travel faster than light, however, space can expand faster than speed of light.

BTW:
    Normal Matter (Galaxy, Stars, Human, Planets, etc) -> ~3% of universe
    Dark Matter -> ~23% of universe
    Dark Energy -> ~74% of universe

Now Dark Matter is what gives the mass to objects while Dark Energy pushes things apart. Dark Energy is responsible for the expansion of the universe.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I agree with you, but that's all I'm gonna say...lol

@Mannerheim
    :

If you really want to understand how much more we know, and how the picture of the Universe has changed - watch this video. A Universe From Nothing' by Lawrence Krauss,

Just ignore the creationist remarks and focus on the science, it's not too mindnumbing and well presented..

12. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Not quite my question, let me try rephrasing.

Energy = Mass * C^2

Mass = E / C^2

Thing is, Mass affects space as we observe through gravitational lensing (Einstein). However, if you convert energy to mass, the mass still has properties of energy:

E= h*f where h is planck's constant & f is frequency, substituting in you get hf=M*C^2 . Which is an equation that relates mass to a wave.

So essentially, mass converts to energy but still has the properties of mass, and energy converts to mass but still has the properties of energy (wave particle duality). Mass has proporties of both energy and space, so my question is essentially where is energies relationship to spatial curves since mass bears a relation to space curves?

If I can have all mass as energy and all energy as mass, can I have all mass or all energy as all space? :p

Anyway under relativity a 'straight line' in space can expand at 2C assuming euclidean geometry at the edges of space. Eg two photons pass each other at the speed of light in opposite directions.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well idk if this will help, but from what I understand, protons only have about 10% - 30% mass.

The rest is made up of wtfbbqsauce...lol Empty..

That may be where string theory comes in...don't know much about that tho..

That's the part I don't get. What is nothing? Is it mass or volume or what....:3eyes:

Sounds like you know a lot more about it than I do anyway..my brain just doesn't have the capacity to deal with physics :p

14. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Until a few years ago, we thought the world was flat. I think the universe turns in on itself. At least in a few places.

15. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    I don't really know that much more. I don't know that much about physics beyond atomic theory and a tad of relativity. The full standard model of particle physics is just beyond where my education stops, though I know the names of a number of sub-atomic particles etc.

I don't define space as 'nothing'

Intuitively I think space is either every point between two points or every possible path between two objects. In my view space consists of every path between two objects. I don't think space is quantum, but I think spatial paths may be quantum because electrons can cross potential barriers seemingly spontaneously.

16. Omagana

Omagana Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Find it very annoying when folk who obviously have a poor grasp of physic's flame.

We have already discovered the left over radiation from the big bang.

17. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Those who may flame are just too weak to form an opinion.

You can't prove it, I can't disprove it, and vice-versa.:)

18. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

There can't be nothing, there's always something. Except between Lindsay Lohan's ears. There is nothing there.:banana:

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Um actually no we didn't, it is a commonly held mis belief that people in the 'stupid ages' universally believed that the Earth was flat. The reality was that most of them believed the Earth was round, after all all they had to do was look up at the night sky and see that the moon was round.

I'll let Stephen Fry explain it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDXrpNk3fy4

20. sirrith

sirrith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    If you look at a pancake, its round (unless you're horrible at making them like me, in which case it looks like a shapeless blob), but that doesn't mean it isn't flat, does it?