Biceps, Triceps, Shoulders, hand weights & Water polo...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Retroborg, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Retroborg

Retroborg Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1070 8GB
    Good day,
    I play water polo / swimming 4 times a week, running 2-3 times a week and work out at home 3-4 times a week (various sets of Push-ups, pull-ups & ab crunches).
    Overall I'm well built and in good health.

I recently bought a pair of adjustable hand weights that can be a Min of 3kg to a Max of 15kg.
    My goal is to increase the muscle mass and volume of my biceps, triceps, shoulders & chest without having to go to the Gym or use steroids & other extras...

What is the best strategy that I should follow:

1.Increase the weight of the hand weights and do less repeats for each set of specialized exercises for the biceps, triceps & shoulders 3 times a week?

Or..

2.Decrease the weight of the hand weights and do more repeats for each set of specialized exercises for the biceps, triceps & shoulders 3 times a week?

Do I have to increase the amount of daily protein / meat that I consume? At the moment I eat red meat 1-2 times a week and the rest of the week, I have a balanced Mediterranean diet, dairy products, carbohydrates, salads, seafood, etc...

I have little experience with weights so any help or other suggestions will be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
  3. Retroborg

Retroborg Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1070 8GB
    Yes?... to which of the above?

4. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli

5. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Number 1.

6. Sinacle

Sinacle Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 1800xt 700/1600
    I agree.

7. ubermann

ubermann Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS vmem+vgpu Mod
    You will need meat every day if you want results.
    Take your weight and add x2 gram of protein min.
    Say your 100kg then you need 200g protein.

Or just cut it and buy some cheap anabola and grow away, but you still need training and alot of food.

8. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    If you do lower weight with more reps, you will gain definition. If you do heavier weights with fewer reps and more sets, you will gain mass. I don't know about you, but as far as eating goes, I just listen to my body. I know instinctively, how much of each food group to eat.
    When I go to the gym, I use 30lb dumbells and do three sets of ten - of course, I do a lot of other exercises, also. The main rule of thumb is; if you want to build your muscles, you have to get a 'pump' going - which means you need to workout with intensity and actually 'feel' the muscles bulging and growing as you workout. :)
    Also, if you workout with high intensity, like I do; the brain produces endorphins, which make you feel soooooooo good! :banana:

9. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    When you're doing pushups, try placing your hands at different angles. For example, if you point your fingers toward each other (inward), it will really work the triceps. I like to do them on my knuckles, also, as well as the fingertips (much harder). Every variation of an exercise causes the body to make adjustments, thereby promoting growth and strength. If you just do the same few exercises over and over, you will only progress so much and then it will halt, until you introduce something new. ;)

10. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    You should give this thing a shot. http://www.powerballs.ca/en/home.html

It's surprisingly amazing. I'm pretty fit and this thing has already given me noticeable improvements in my forearms and grip strength. There's apparently ways to get it to work your tris, bis, and shoulders... but I think that takes a bit more practise (or I'm just doing it wrong :p).

11. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I have two of those! One with the rpm readout. If you want to work your shoulders, just reach your arm straight up and do it for a minute or two. ;) Also, try this one. Put your arm as straight as you can behind your back and do it.

12. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Just flex your bicep, as you would in a pose, if you want to work it. The same with the tricep - straighten your arm with the fist down beside your leg and flex the tricep as your rotating the ball...just use your imagination. :p

13. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Ahhh... yeah I just got mine the other day. Still getting used to it but I love it! My girlfriend made fun of me for getting it then she tried it and thought it was cool. That'll learn her... :p

EDIT: Oh, Happy Thanksgiving ;)

14. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Same to you. :)
    Yeah; it doesn't look like much, but the faster you make it spin, the more the gyroscope works against you.
    BTW: I can't seem to go any faster than 10,400rpm's. Do you think it's 'old age'? :banana:

15. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    20 repeats are enough to get muscles if done properly. Choose a weight where you absolutely can't do more than 20 repeats and you're done.

If it's too heavy you can damage your angles.
    If it's too light you don't get bigger muscles but more endurance. (no one can 'see' endurance though, i guess that's what you're after)

Ralf Möller gave these answers in a playboy interview back in the 90ies. :)

16. Travkin

Travkin Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 1080 Sli
    Heavy weights/less reps is for bulking up, while lower weight/higher reps is for toning. I usually do 4-6 sets of 8 reps of relatively heavy weights. Also you can do the exercises more then just 3 times a week. If you feel good and aint sore the next day...hell why not repeat the workout again....never stops me. The food is the key point for building the mass of your muscles, so is good sleep.

Have a read here concerning your diet: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek25.htm

and have a look around at http://forum.bodybuilding.com/ will have many of your questions answered.

Need 1.5g of protein/lbs. So if he was 100kg he would be needing 330g of protein.
    Too much protein is also bad for you, can cause some serious stuff to your kidneys.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  17. anotherzen

anotherzen Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 SC 1GB SLi
  18. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    No more spam!!!

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Option no. 1 for increasing mass, also rest for atleat 48 hours between each workout, 72 hours recommended.

In terms of your diet, reduce carbohydrates as these are found in abundance in most foods and increase proteins to about the same level. Carbohydrates are mainly found in bread and potatoes. Rich sources of Proteins would be ideally seafood (tuna is good) and chicken. Avoid complex carbohydrates during the evenings (potatoes).

Most people find it difficult to maintain a diet which contains the necessary protein, and so most would use a protein suppliment such as whey protein shakes two to three times a day. You need 1.5 to 2g of protein for each kg of your body weight.

20. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I use a protein supplement when my body says it needs it, but I get most of my protein from eggs, cheese and salmon - not meat. I eat meat only once in a while.