1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BFG 8800 GT 512 SLI overheating

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by PeeWee1476, Apr 2, 2009.

1. PeeWee1476

PeeWee1476 New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT 512
    Hello all. First post here. I'm having a bit of an overheating issue with my BFG 8800GT 512MB SLI cards. Both of them are the OC 625Mhz models.

System specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600 Windsor
    MOBO: Asus M2N32SLI-Deluxe Nvidia chipset
    memory: Patriot Extreme Performance 3GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (3 sticks, 1 GB each)
    Power Supply: HIPRO 600 watt
    BFG 8800GT 512MB SLI 625Mhz. Stock cooling fans and heatsinks removed and replaced with Zalman VGA Cooler VF700-Aluminum/Copper fans and heatsinks.
    Windows XP 32-bit SP3
    Video drivers: Nvidia forceware 182.08

So the story goes:

I've had my current system for several months now (I got my second 8800GT last September). After getting the second GPU I also bought and installed the Zalman coolers. Everything was running fine after that. I was getting an average of 70-75C while running games of high graphical intensity and idling at about 55-56C. About a week ago I downloaded Prince of Persia from Steam. I was playing it and generally enjoying myself when the monitor got this red mosaic effect on the screen and froze about 4 seconds later. Not just the game froze, but Windows itself froze as well. I had to hard reset of course. I went back into the game and resumed playing. About 30 minutes later the same thing happened. I hadn't been having any other problems with games at the time so I assumed that perhaps Prince of Persia had suffered from bad PC port syndrome. I grabbed new video drivers (182.08) where previously I had been running 180.48. Same result.

After that I decided to go back to playing Fallout 3. This game had previously been extremely stable for me so when I started getting freezing issues while playing it I became suspicious. I ran Rivatuner 2.08 while playing Fallout 3 and noticed that my cards were getting up to 100C! Since you can boil water at that temp I realized this was a problem to say the least. Idling I was looking at about 70C. This is way higher than it was previously.

So here's the things I've tried since then:

1. Take a can of air to the entire computer case. I didn't have much dust on anything at all so this didn't accomplish much.
    2. Remove the Zalman coolers, emulsify the Arctic Silver that was on them and reapply the thermal paste and reset the Zalman coolers.
    3. Swap video cards slots. My primary card is now my secondary. I did this to see if one card being the primary might cause the problem.

After doing that I'm running at about 85C for the primary card and 58C for the secondary card while under load. While idling the primary is about 62C and the secondary is staying at 58C. I know this makes it seem like SLI is not being used, but I have SLI enabled in the nvidia control panel so it should be getting used. Even if SLI is not working, this doesn't explain the increased temperatures. It seems like it's still getting rather hot when playing games.

Now I have considered that we're getting into the warmer months so I suppose it would run a little warmer than previously but a difference of 10C? And I'm still not sure why it started getting up to 100C, other than maybe the fan/heatsink had come loose and weren't gathering all the heat that they were supposed to.

Is there anything else that I should check? Can a power supply starting to go bad cause any of this? Does this just happen after a certain period of time to GPUs?

Also, the fans are already running at maximum RPMs before anyone suggests adjusting them.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

2. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    personally dude those temps are not good.my old BFG8800GT never idled at 41 allways between 35C and 40C and with a load it never hit 70 even with the stock cooler.I would download Riva tuner and check to see if there is a ! thing next to the fan monitor also did you ever turn the fan speed up?

3. Blaise

Blaise Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 TI SC2
    Also as your 2nd card doesn't show any temperature increase, I'd be checking to see if SLi is actually working. Yes, I know you said it was enabled but to be sure, do the following:
    • Open the NVidia Control Panel,
    • Under the "3D Setting menu", place a check against the "Show SLI Visual Indicators" menu item, and
    • Run a DirectX application that supports SLi and see if the indicator indeed shows SLi is working.
    To turn off the indicators, remove the check from that same menu item.

4. PeeWee1476

PeeWee1476 New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT 512
    The fan speed has always been on max since I got the Zalmans (I did specify that above).

I tried the SLI test thing and you were right, sorta. I was using the new Prince of Persia to test the temps and SLI isn't working in this game. It is, however, working for everything else I tried (Left 4 Dead, UT3, Dead Space, Fallout 3).

Thanks for the responses so far. I've been running some games today and it almost looks like things are getting back to normal. Perhaps the Arctic Silver needed some time to settle? In any case it's back to about 60C while idling and 70-75C while playing. From what some of you guys have said this is still hot though? I'm not really sure what else to do to make the cooling better but I'm ok with these temps right now. I'll post back here if I find it getting way hot again.

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    70c is not that hot for 8800GT.

6. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    a g92 isnt a capped core, dont use artic silver5 on non-capped chips if thats what your using. use a paste like artic ceramique, or mx-2 instead.

7. PeeWee1476

PeeWee1476 New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GT 512
    Sorry, I think I mistyped. It is Ceramique by Arctic Silver.

8. baby_UTE

baby_UTE Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GT SLI
    why? i have asus 9800gt with VF-700 and i use AS5 with out problem.

9. Terrorizor

Terrorizor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    wasnt mistyped,just not entirely clear is all.

but it is now so alls good:thumbup:

try going into your nvidia control panel/advanced and under -global- set sli rendering mode to AFR1(alternate frame rendering) instead of nvidia recommended, apply , exit, restart ,and run your games again.

while 70c is warmer than my g92 gts sli was even under full load in games like stalker and crysis, its not -overly- hot for the hardware itself.

what case do you use?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  10. reeven

reeven Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX280 750/1450/3000
    Same here.P

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    those coolers are border line for the 88gt's did you sink the vmr's

12. Q6600

Q6600 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG GTX 1080
    agreed

13. Zap

Zap Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 7600 GT 256MB
    The potential problem is bridging some contacts or components that are present near the core. According to Arctic Silver, AS5 is "capacitive." You won't have to worry about it conducting electricity from one end of the core to the other, but it can bridge really close contacts.

Besides, AS5 isn't all that much better than Ceramique and there are even better products. I guess AS5 is just... popular. :)

14. Grifty

Grifty Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    my 8800gt idles at about 55 and load is about 70 and thats with stock cooling on it, so the zalmans should keep it cooler than my card

15. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    Yep, and with the top card barely able to breathe the hot air off the back of the other one, this is what happens. It's been happening since SLI and crossfire were invented.

I recommend a 120mm fan on the side panel blowing directly into the sides of the cards, so at a minimum the fans can pull in some cold air.

I have done this with all of my cards since I started using multi-gpus in the beginning. It works a lot better than without it.

Of course with water cooling, there is no need for any of that noise.:)