BFG 6800GT OC Temps

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Luxferro, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Luxferro

Luxferro Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia 6800GT OC
    Hiya's, i'm new to the board and new to Nvidia (previously an ATI owner).

Anyway, i just purchased this card yesterday, and noticed that i could partially see light between the ram and the thermal pads. My idle temp would kinda fluctuate around 61-63°C.

i've read through the various thread on this site, and between all the different manufacturers, the temps seem to vary alot.

This morning i torqued the screws on the heatsink slightly, so the thermal pad compound stuff actually is fully contacting the ram. now the idle temp is slightly lower, around 59-60°C.

What should the normal idle temp be for these cards, Stock?

Also, i started to play around w/ coolbits, and did some testing. it seems the memory setting on the card doesn't really like the settings BFG gave them. If i move the slider up a tick, then back a tick and test the card, 9 out of 10 times it will fail at it's advertised 1000MHz memory speed. (the core seems to work just fine, can underclock the ram, and over clock the GPU).

I sent a email to BFG tech's support today, and got a response to call them and have the card shipped to them for repair..... that the heatsink may have been bent during shipping to the retailer... this is complete BS in my oppinion. there seems to be no way that the heatsink could possibly bend in shipping, considering the thickness of it, and the perfect condiction the box was in. Warped maybe, but bent, no way... something their QC department should have picked up on IMO..

Any suggestions what i should do? i'd hate having to ship them my card and wait for them to "repair it" and wait for them to ship it back.

I'm think of just fixing it myself or seeing if Best Buy will take it back and go back to ATI :(

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  2. SirkoZ

SirkoZ Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB - Mmmm, SmoothVision :drool:
    Welcome to the Forum. ;)

The card's temperatures are normal and can even go up to over 70°C.
    It's very strange, that RAM doesn't overclock, as it's DDR3 which doesn't heat up as much as DDR/2....
    If you have a "temporary" GeForce4 Ti-class card, I would suggest you to send the card back, but if lower, but still very playable performance of Radeon X800PRO doesn't bother you, you can exchange it.
    The 6800GT is really nice and so try to send it back...

3. dorian1972

dorian1972 Guest

My idle temps were the same as yours with my BFG 6800GT. That seems to be normal. I just got my NV5 Silencer, applied ceramic to the heatsink and rams. Now it idles at 49-50. Picked mine up at xoxide.com for $37.00. I would recommend these silencers to any videocard owner interesting in overclocking. Oh my card at these new temps is overclocked 420/1100 totally stable. Also coolbits gave me problems to, so instead use rivatuner!

4. PCBliss

PCBliss Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x eVGA 7800GT SLI
    Your temps are fine. On my BFG 6800GT it idles around 62C and load temps at 400/1100 sometimes got up to 88C! But all games ran fine. Anything Below 90s should be fine for a load temp.

I would get a new one as sirkoz says.

5. Luxferro

Luxferro Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia 6800GT OC
    thanks for the quick responses :)

Initially when i installed the card i had some issues with game crashes ect. after some driver updates (both nvidia chipset and video card) things have been pretty stable.

the only thing that concerns me is the heatsink and the memory no clocking good.

Edit:

Hmm, could my PS be an issue with the memory not clocking correctly?

My case is a Antec Sonata w/ the stock Antec True 380w power supply.

it's running 2 raptors in raid 0, a dvd rom, and an overclocked CPU.. would this be too much for it? wish i had a better one to test with, heh

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  6. dorian1972

dorian1972 Guest

Your power supply is more than enough. Like I said try Rivatuner. I think coolbits is your problem.

7. Luxferro

Luxferro Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia 6800GT OC
    okay, i'm gonna un-install my drivers, clean them up & re-install them, then i'll try that Rivatuner program.

one other thing has been bothering me. It's my video playback, whether it be .AVI's, .WMV's or DVD's, the video just doesn't look right. it's either blurry and dark, or grainy. I've played around with the Nvidia options and got them to look okay, but it just doesn't seem right. i could have sworn my old ATI Radeon 9700pro looked 100x better, and i didn't have to mess with settings for each program.

other then my above mentioned complaints, my games look and play awesome :/

8. dorian1972

dorian1972 Guest

I'm not sure about your video playback. Mine's been fine? You don't have to uninstall your drivers, just to see if rivatuner works. I had coolbits installed when I first tried it and then switched my drivers. By the way the 61.77 I have found to be the best all round so far. Goodluck.

9. Luxferro

Luxferro Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia 6800GT OC
    hmm, well i uninstalled my drivers, used drive clean. installed the original driver BFG supplies with their board, and tried Rivatuner. pretty much the same thing happens with it as did the cool bits; the video card doesn't pass the 'Test' button w/ it's stock settings - it's got like a 90% failure rate for me.

this is with the GPU @ 59-60°C idle temp, 39°C ambient temp around the card, 39°C CPU temp, 28°C case temp - CPU Prime95 stable at 2500mhz (12.5 x 200)

Edit:
    I'm just gonna return it to Best Buy for another one tomorrow. I read there return policy, so all should be good. I'm gonna open the new one at the store to make sure no light passes between the ram and heatsink/thermal pad ;)

10. dorian1972

dorian1972 Guest

Sorry, being that we both had the same card with similar problems I thought rivatuner may work. Doesn't hurt to try though. The BFG is an awesome card and hopefully you get a good one next time. Most Nvidia 6800 gt's will overclock to atleast 400/1100. I would still keep the nv5 silencer in mind though!

11. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti
    It depends, and I think you will be on the limit, but I have my setup running with a Sonata/380 aswell, with Raptors in raid 0, with my video card running at Ultra specs, and not one problem. But my CPU isnt OC.

12. Luxferro

Luxferro Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia 6800GT OC
    Today i exchanged the card for a new one, and all is good now, no more gaps between the ram and heatsink pads.

I had to hunt the cards down in the store after telling the guy the internet said they had them in stock. Someone nicely hid 2 of the BFG 6800GT OC 's behind a cheapo video card box, the other one the computer says they have is MIA..lol

This one actually runs the 'Detect optimum frequencies' button, and dectects @ 415 / 1.09... not bad :)

Thanks for all the help from you guys :D

Edit:
    Forgot to mention this one's starting temp was 55°C at windows bootup, and runs between 55-57, even at the above detected speeds ;)

13. Scooperman

Scooperman Master Guru

GPU:
    2xBFG 7900GTX OC 512 @670/1640
    The Detect Optimal Settings button may give a relatively conservative number too.
    The first 3 times I tried it it said 418/1090, 417/1090, and 416/1090. I have it running great at 420/1100 atm and haven't tried for my ceiling yet.

14. Luxferro

Luxferro Member

GPU:
    BFG Nvidia 6800GT OC
    Yeah, i figured they were somewhat conservative. But i think i rather keep it a little conservative, as i'd rather have efficency & stability over more heat & 0.1% more performance ;)