BFBC 2 HBAO Comparison Images

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Xtreme1979, Feb 17, 2010.

1. marcosamerio

marcosamerio Master Guru

GPU:
    ZOTA NVIDIA 1060
    Unuseful thread, unless you ll a payman from EA

Bye

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  2. evilkiller650

evilkiller650 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 980ti AMP! Extreme
    I'm usually good at seeing differences but in the ones posted, none at all. Actually, maybe very, very SMALL differences, but perhaps just seeing stuff.

3. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Make sure you look at the non-resized images. It helps to open each one in a tab so you can switch between them.

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol there's actually very large differences, cycle between the two images full sized in different tabs

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080Ti Ga.X
    Shadows look a lot better with it on but the -20 FPS hit (at least in my case) does not justify it.

6. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I like the AO effect, but the only way to make the game playable with it on is to drop the shadow quality ;/

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    "darker more realistic shadowing"... darker doesn't necessarily mean more realistic does it? I can look around my room now and the shadows in my corner aren't as dark as those with HBAO enabled. It's not worth the performance hit, no way.

8. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Very good point.

In fact it doesn't make it more realistic, its completely opposite.
    Corners shouldn't be darker! (that much).

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    if anything it looks crap. It looks like someone painted the corners black...

10. Bounty

Bounty Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
    Well I can see the difference now it's been pointed out. Not sure it looks any better, certainly not more realistic.

Might be a different kettle of fish if the image is moving I guess. I'll give it this evening, once I've stuck fraps on to see what it does to the frame rates.

11. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Ambient occlusion is completely realistic, it's just hard to approximate in games. Most accurate approach is to raytrace an image, but that takes ages per frame.

This is a pretty good example: http://media.moddb.com/images/engines/1/1/94/Screen_Space_Ambient_Occlusion.jpg

On the left the engine only occludes direct lighting (then you get those sharp shadows) leaving the shadowed areas completely flat because it doesn't take indirect lighting into account, but on the right there's also the ambient occlusion pass. It calculates how the extra, indirect, light from the hemisphere is occluded (ie the light that comes from all directions).

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Now you mention it xD

"No colors anymore I want them to turn black"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PemiwMS6Shk

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Agree.

14. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix RTX 2070
    Since I'm the OP and no I wasn't on drugs when I took these shots. The difference is quite noticeable in-game. These captures are compressed jpeg they aren't even close to the quality of the source. As for the performance hit not being so great well I'm CPU limited thus I have the GPU power to turn this feature on. Everyone else's mileage will vary. Surprised to see this thread resurrected. :)

15. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Don't see how you came up with that one, the first image looks like a house with no lighting affects whatsoever, while the 2nd image actually looks like theres light going through the house

and trust me, corners of the house especially with what kind of light source is being emitted will be darker realistically

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Sorry but no, those corners in the 2nd shot with AO on look much too dark and unrealistic.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You haven't been in a completely dark in terms of light bulb lights with no furniture during the winter in a slightly-run down house with the only light being from outside from the windows lately, have you....

realistically, it should be darker even, and in more areas, depending how the light is shining

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ see how the corners are darker? it's the same thing

Now, i'm not saying it's the best use of AO ever done, nor is it the most realistic version of AO either, however it is much more realistic then with AO off

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The corners are already darker than the rest of the room even without AO. Turning AO on overly darkens them which is not realistic. and to answer your first question, yes I have. but not lately and I didn't stare at corners.

19. Xendance

Xendance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    That's because the buildings have the AO baked in the texture itself. Poor implementation, that's all.

20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Couldn't have said it better myself