BF4 huge frame drops with GTX 770

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sinister.sinner, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'm starting to thing more and more this game is a next gen console port it plays great on my PS4 but horrible some times on my PC. It would make sense that it runs better on AMD GPU's as the new consoles are GCN based.

2. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Forgot to ask if your on windows 7 or 8, that can be an issue with bf4 sometimes. It typically runs better on 8 cause of some directx abilities. I've also noticed more people have issues like this with amd cpu vs intel i7 cpu. Bf4 is really cpu hungry and your gpu usage is low vs your cpu usage. I'm not saying to switch just that it might be a possibility its that if all else fails. Also you should probably keep pagefile on at least 2gigs and check if windows see all your 16 gigs of ram cause on the image it didn't seem like it or just not showing due to usage. I know its a long read but its just its just it could be so many things.

3. sinister.sinner

sinister.sinner Guest

GPU:
    GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC
    Windows 7 64bit. I use a 60HZ display with 1920x1080 resolution.

I kinda refuse to switch to win8 because I really dislike it. I used it once and ... nah really crap if you'r used to 7.

4. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    I was the same way but I finally recently switched and got start8 so I can have a start menu again and now I'm happy.

5. Arend.C

Arend.C Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    A bit offtopic, but what are the benefits going from win 7 to win 8? (if any)
    Better game performance?

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Howcome your GPU clock is all over the place?

And do you have 8GB or 16GB RAM installed because AB says you have 8GB.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No thats just AB max monitored limit. Mine says 8192 as well, just like the most vram readable is 4GB. GPU clock is all over the place due to usage being 50%~ in his graphs

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hmm OK then. Btw can you see the total memory use with BF4 running - nearly 9GB.. :)

9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Not in my case, this is the most i can get in a game of 60 players.

[​IMG]

Ram usage lowers to 1800mb, PF usage down to 1860mb(no page file is enabled) after exiting. Do the math and its less than 4GB of ram usage.

And when he closes bf4 you see it drops to 4400~.. So subtract the two, its not using 9GB of ram lol

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's not how it works, PF is actually commit charge, it drops from 8.7 to 5.6 because he alt-tabbed out to see the desktop and take screenshot.....

And I didn't say BF4 was using 9GB of ram I said his system is using 9GB, so obviously BF4 is eating a lot more than 4GB.....

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I set 8.1 up using a few tweaks like classic shell, boot to desktop, removed lock screen and auto sign in now I really like it I almost never use the metro interface and the way I have it set up I never need to.

12. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Man win8.1 gives so much boosts to BF4 it's unbelievable, if you're a BF4 player you need to switch. Yeah follow loops guide and set it up.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Not going to change my os for 1 game. Thats nuts.

14. Ouzo

Ouzo Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    I switched to 8.1, not 8, and I added the start menu plugin.

There is actually not a single thing I miss from 7. Everything works the same, or better.

And it made BF4 more smooth. No noticeable FPS increase, but smoothes was worth it.

15. RexKobra

RexKobra Guest

GPU:
    SLI MSI GTX 760 GAMING
    I agree, Windows 8.1 has been great not just for BF4, but ALL my other games.

When I was running BF4 on Win7 Ultimate I had horrible GFX card usage in SLI(77%) and would encounter the same stutters and frame drops that the OP is describing.

As soon as I switched to Win8.1 all my issues went away, the game is amazing smooth, GFX usage went up to 98% on BOTH cards, CPU usage went down to 85%, and I gained at least 25 fps.

I think the biggest change from Win7 to 8.1 is the CPU usage, which is why I was seeing frame drops and stutters under Win7. In Win7 I was constantly at 100& CPU usage, and any single hiccup in the background would cause horrible stutters in BF4.

I switched to 8.1, added STARTISBACK for desktop, and have never been happier. All around, 8.1 is faster and performs better in ALL task compared to WIN7. At least, that is my opinion. :stewpid: