BF4 huge frame drops with GTX 770

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by sinister.sinner, Jan 10, 2014.

1. sinister.sinner

sinister.sinner Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC
    Hi guys, I have a problem. I upgraded yesterday from Radeon HD 6950 2GB 2way crossfire Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB WindForce 3x OC.

After testing maxed out Assassin's Creed IV (4xTXAA, Physix high) with 30 fps, extremely modded Skyrim with 30-60 fps, I ended up testing BF4.

First round on a full 64 server with custom settings (nearly everything on ultra except AA, effectsquality and postprocessing). With VSync on I had steady 60 fps but I only played a few minutes.
    After a break I joined a friend on a 48 server and there the frame drops began. From 60 down to 40, 30 yes even 10 fps with no reason whatsoever.

And the thing is the frame droping doesn't change when I set the graphics settings to medium. I had steady 60 fps in BF4 with one HD 6950 (crossfire didn't work because frostbite/dice guys ****ed it up) on medium settings and there is now way a oc 770 can't deliver that. :3eyes:

I have two displays connected to the card. Both have 1920x1080 resolution 60 Hz. Just one is used for playing obviously.

Any help guys? I don't know where the error lies. I also tried to downclock my cpu from 4.6 GHz to 4.2 GHz because I thought the psu might be too weak but on the other hand should 650w be enough for an fx-8350 and a gtx 770.

I'm running out of ideas.

2. Ouzo

Ouzo Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Gaming X
    AMD seems to be better with BF4, and did you use traditional Vsync, or adaptive?

On my setup, some levels, some situations drop from average of 120fps to 90s. So there is a alot of drops going on in some levels.

3. sinister.sinner

sinister.sinner Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC
    Vsync is OFF.

4. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    770 should be around 60-70 maxed out with 2xaa, some drops WILL occurs on any system any card, heck i play with my 780 around 100+fps maxed out 4xaa and it drops at times to 70.

Where u have those FPS drops mainly? explosions, heavy fire scene? if so effect set to high, in fact everyone should do it.

5. sinister.sinner

sinister.sinner Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC
    The drops seem to be completely random. Had a drop of 50 frames right bevor climbing a ladder. The whole screen was basically a wall and a ladder with textures.

6. MrMicrochip

MrMicrochip Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix
    If you go back to the "drop point", will the frames drop again? Check MSI Afterburner GPU usage etc statistics and CPU utilization at the time the drop happens and report to us.

Maybe some background process is doing something?

7. sinister.sinner

sinister.sinner Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC
    I'll do tonight and post here with results. But it's going to be a bit tricky with afterburner since the frames drop and go back up in second or less.

8. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  9. sinister.sinner

sinister.sinner Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC
    Yeah I think so too, cpu cooler is a Noctua NH-D14. :)

I did unpark the cores back in first week of BF4 release. I ran dxwebsetup in bf4 folder about 3 times since release. Well AC4 installed DX again, so maybe I'll install that from bf4 again.

That's why I said that I kinda ran out of ideas. :D

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Double check your cores though, maybe they're parked or something? :D Maybe it has something to do with BF4 utilizing your fx 8350 in a weird way.

Not sure.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    is your card running correctly? monitor clocks and temperatures.

12. sinister.sinner

sinister.sinner Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC
    MSI Afterburner showed 1254 MHz Coreclock and ~ 74-78°C during Assassins Creed with 4xTXAA and high Physix.

13. sinister.sinner

sinister.sinner Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC
    So I tested a little bit.

[​IMG]

331.93 beta
    [​IMG]

Same graphic settings (high), same server (64 players) and same map. About ten minutes playing time each.

I hoped the beta drivers would be better but it got even worse. Frame drops mostly occured when having a large distance in the background.

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hmm.. weird, gpu utilization seems kinda low, don't you wanna put everything to ultra? Max everything except MSAA, I have none. Put your resolution scaler up a bit (110-125), it should boost the gpu utilization a bit.. (If while the gpu is utilized 99% and still those weird frame drops occur to mid 30s or what you say? then that's weird and.. I'm not sure, has to do something with the cpu then, I'm not sure).

If you put everything to ultra and reso scaling, and still gpu utilization is like that? Then I don't know, then it's something weird lol. Maybe psu lol? .. Although psu should be fine.

Although I get frame drops too on some maps, I think it's normal.. so. But yeah still your gpu util should be higher if you max everything out+reso scaling. With a GTX 770 you don't need to run at high lol.

15. sinister.sinner

sinister.sinner Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC
    Surprising result kinda.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Again 64 player server everything on ultra (4xMSAA) and 130% scaling brought me constant 44-48 fps without drops.

Usage went down in the end when I changed to 2xMSAA and 125% scaling wich gave me less fps (37-42). wtf? :D

I'll try this again with windows powersavings set to maximum performance. I don't know if this will change anything but we'll see.

16. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga RTX2070XCUltra
    your gpu usage is low and your cpu is on the higher side but not maxed but your pagefile looks like its maxed.

17. sinister.sinner

sinister.sinner Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC
    And what can cause this respectively what can I change?

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Try oc your video ram if you haven't yet. Gk104 benefits from that due to 256 bit and clock your cpu higher

19. sinister.sinner

sinister.sinner Member

GPU:
    GTX 770 WindForce 3X OC
    CPU already runs on 4.5Ghz again.

Never oc'ed a nvidia gpu, this is my first. Any tips/links? :D

/edit
    What I also tried the last hours.

Disabled pagefile in windows. Closed a few background processes.
    I tried this http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1862543/bf4-fps-drops.html#12017363

FPS still drops randomly down to 25 and even lower no matter on which settings (ultra, high, even on low).

This is just ridiculous DICE. :bang:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  20. Taint3dBulge

Taint3dBulge Maha Guru

GPU:
    I get the same with a 780 ti classified.. BIG BIG drops. from 120 to 40.. Even if i set my settings to just "high" and zero aa and ssao still get big drops .. Never had this problem with an 290x.. hoping that nvidia get there act together big time and get some drivers out that help this.. I know bf4 needs some tweaking too but i can see where people are pissed off...