BF3 Stuttering Fix 285.62

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by neckdart, Oct 25, 2011.

1. snowdweller

snowdweller Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek GTX 580 SLI
    6gig does well for me but I also see in Task Man that BF3 by itself uses minimum 3gig so anyone with 4gig and a slowish HDD will see stutters from system accessing HDD.

2. wonton1017

wonton1017 Member

GPU:
    2x Galaxy GTX670 SLI
    Yup, spot on. 6gb is definitely enough, just that 4gb will bottleneck in BF3. Pretty sure even 4.5ghz will be enough to get rid of the stuttering.

But 4GB is enough on lower res like 1680x1050, and not on Ultra setting.

Loving the smoothness again, score/min rising xD

3. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    4GB RAM does NOT cause stutter!!! :mad: but I got that only "saving" causes 1 stutter.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    ^
    imo it can help, i saw some MP bench and when they upgraded to 8gb min fps climbed from 40-45fps to 58-62fps..
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

also you can tweak it like so to help with stutter..

add this line GstRenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 2

in PROF_SAVE_profile.file (found in mydocuments/Battlefiled3/settings), you can open it with txt.

i added it somewhere in between like so;
    GstRender.EffectsQuality 3
    GstRender.Enlighten 1
    GstRender.FieldOfView 80.000000
    GstRender.FullscreenEnabled 1
    GstRender.FullscreenScreen 1
    GstRenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 2
    GstRender.MeshQuality 3
    GstRender.MeshQualityOld 0.700000
    GstRender.MotionBlur 0.10
    GstRender.MotionBlurEnabled 1
    GstRender.OverallGraphicsQuality 5

it looks like so in cfg file

GstRender.FullscreenScreen 1GstRenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 2GstRender.MeshQuality 3GstRender.MeshQualityOld 0.700000

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011

5. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    Yeah I get the tiny micro stutters all the time just when zoomed in aiming. But then everyone once in a while I get the huge jump a couple feet stuttering and I have 16gb of ram. So it has nothing to do with RAM.

6. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    i said more ram raises min fps, also why not give this render.ahead.limit tweak a try?

7. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    I think I tried the render ahead and the triple buffering yesterday to no effect. I am thinking about trying the .79 drivers cause the huge stuttering just came back right now when I was online.

8. ironhorse86

ironhorse86 Member

GPU:
    BFG 295 GTX
    render ahead 2 incurs input delay, so you WILL need triple buffering to offset this if you use that setting.
    BF3 defaults to -1 i believe .. and i dont know why or what that does.

i use 1 as it has the best results for me, even though DICE says dont use it for some unknown reason. the closer to 0, the more stress on the CPU and lower fps. the higher the number the more the work is offloaded to GPU as it has frames already rendered waiting for you so higher fps.. but also more input delay.

i feel like the stuttering is caused by some hard coded form of Vsync!
    off in game, forced off in Nvidia CPL doesn't seem to stop it obviously.. but using vsync in the game most definitely worsens the symptoms, as does rendering the frames ahead.

i hate that nvidia thinks they fixed this issue with .79... they may just gloss over it now, oblivious because someone cant tell the difference. idk..

at least both GPUs are getting used now and theres a higher FPS..

9. Colt M4

Colt M4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 970 SC Sli
    Tried the .79 reverting back to .62 now.

10. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    The new beta driver work a lot better from what I have seen so far and I even seen a fps boost in bf3.

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    BFBC2 uses 2 by default, no? or was it 1.. Well i don't see any input lag by BC2 i dont use vsync.

I play BF3 the same vsync off, so im guessing it should be ok here too. But yea i agree 2 might be a issue for your 295gtx or SLI in general..

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  12. wonton1017

wonton1017 Member

GPU:
    2x Galaxy GTX670 SLI
    Why are you guys in such denial that 4gb doesn't cause stuttering?

Why not run off 3gb then? I am telling you guys 4gb DOES cause stuttering because I have done this test like 500 times and windows task manager reports that mid-game, the usage will jump up to 4.2gb of usage and the longer you play, the more it uses; thus the worse the stuttering gets.

Here is a screenshot of having ONLY BF3 opened and running at MODEST settings: Ultra everything, SSAO enabled instead of HBAO, AA is OFF in this test and Windows transparency and the fancy animations are all turned OFF. Imagine how bad it's going to be on YOUR systems since I am pretty sure less than half of you guys turn off transparency and animations. Have background apps like anti-virus? Like to play with HBAO? AA and HBAO alone will eat up possibly 25% more memory. AV will eat up quite a bit as well. There you have it, the reason for your stuttering.

But for those running on LOW resolutions like I said ABOVE, the memory usage will be a LOT less. If you have AA enabled at 1680x1050, you will use as much as me on 1920x1080 without AA enabled.

Still in denial? CTRL SHIFT ESC after 10 mins of playing on MP. Take a screenshot of your memory usage with your godly 4gb memory.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  13. wonton1017

wonton1017 Member

GPU:
    2x Galaxy GTX670 SLI
    Want more proof?

AA is now 2xAA, HBAO enabled.

4.9gb usage, where do you 4gb guys get the extra 900mb from? No where, which is why you guys are stuttering.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

*Btw, this SS is running at 5ghz with 7-8-7-22 timing, whereas the previous one is only at 4.8ghz with 9-9-9-24 timing

14. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    I got no stutter for single player only, sorry. but I don't know if I get stutter because I do never play on mulitplayer. ;)

15. Saifz

Saifz Master Guru

GPU:
    460 Zotac 1gb 800/2000
    agreed...

i have no stuterring in sp but a little bit in mp

16. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 Ti
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  17. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  18. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Yeah well you're playing at a ridiculously low resolution, and yet you're not at 60fps 100% of the time, as you said, almost always 60fps. :p

19. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    ok but I am not any ridiculous!
    do you want benchmark in my thread (see my post #197)?

20. c20h25n3o

c20h25n3o New Member

GPU:
    Ati 5870 @ 1ghz
    I registered especially so I could post in this topic.
    I'm sick and tired of the 4gb clan spreading disinformation...

I had 4gb till today and even though the game was running fine @ 40/45FPS (1680x1050 everything set to the highest possible setting, no motion blur) I was having huge drops in FPS the longer I played. Up to the point where I was rebooting every 4 or 5 games.
    After Googling the sh*t out of this, I decided to buy 4gb extra and just give it a try. Despite of all the YOU DONT NEED MOARRR THAN 4GB posts.

And what do you think? IT SOLVED ALL STUTTERING!!!!! NO MORE FRAMEDROPS!!
    Haven't been below 34 ANYWHERE on the map regardless of the amount of activity on the screen.

So if you have stutter even though the game runs smooth 99% of the time, and you only have 4gb. ADD MORE RAM.
    It really really helps, no matter what some people claim. Period.