BF3 Insane Slowdowns

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Ryoazza, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Ryoazza

Ryoazza New Member

GPU:
    Crossfire XFX 6850 2GB
    Hey, I asked this question a couple of weeks back and I'm still getting the problem. I can play on these settings for about 3 Minutes, at a stable 60FPS, before **** hits the fan. After those 3 minutes the FPS dodges, dips, ducks, dives and dodges.
    [​IMG]

Code:
    Operating System
    	MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    CPU
    	Intel Core i5 2500K  @ 4.70GH
    	Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
    RAM
    	4.00 GB DDR3 @ 800MHz (9-9-9-28)
    Motherboard
    	MSI P67A-G45 (MS-7673) (SOCKET 0)
    Graphics
    	S240HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
    	AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    	AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series 
    Running 6850s in crossfire with 12.3 Drivers and the CAP.
    I honestly don't know what's causing this, As soon as I check my temps they are fine so I don't think it's that. If anything I'm thinking that it might be time to go up to 8GB of RAM.
    Anyone know what's happening?

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Turn motion blur off.

Put Anti-aliasing (deferred) to 2x

Put Anti-aliasing (post) to medium

Put texture to high and does it then still have slowdowns?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  3. dakon

dakon Member

GPU:
    MSI 6990 & 6970
    Ram is so cheap right now. Do that as BF3 will use a ton if it can. For me with 12gb DDR3, BF3 will take 5GB sometimes.

4. Erizo

Erizo Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7950 3 GB
    Those settings are too high for 1 GB of VRAM :eek:

5. Ryoazza

Ryoazza New Member

GPU:
    Crossfire XFX 6850 2GB
    Yep almost completely fixes the problem, There is still some slowdown but only about 2% as much. If I turned AA to Off and Post back up to high would it still work?

6. MadelineX

MadelineX Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    RAM will fix it. You won't think so, but it will. Trust me.

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    It will be fine with that setting also, the main issue here is that Ultra for texture is too high for your cards, if they were 2GB versions, as in one card has 2GB of RAM, then ultra would be fine.

Also, going from 4GB to 8GB of System RAM will also be good, I plan on this myself.. it is very cheap to go 8GB.

Motion blur, having it off makes it smoother gameplay.. or at least I found that is what it does for me, it is a pretty pointless effect really.

Also, putting Mesh Quality to high instead of ultra might help as well.. this is the draw distance of objects.

8. AmD6000

AmD6000 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 960
  9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    for ultra textures, it looks you need 2GB VRAM + 4gb ram (or more :p) or either 1gb VRAM + 8gb RAM. Idk why but many people reports so.

Plus add u are using AA..., you can use post-AA to high, it doesnt use VRAM, only postprocessing.

10. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    its a VRAM problem. you are using way too high settings for your VRAM. reduce all settings to HIGH and always keep deferred AA = 0.

edit: oh wait, I just read your profile, you say you have 2 6870 cards in crossfire and EACH ONE is 2GB? then it can't be a VRAM problem at 1080p rez.

11. Ryoazza

Ryoazza New Member

GPU:
    Crossfire XFX 6850 2GB
    They are the 1GB 6850 Version. Not 2GB 6870. It is indeed a Vram issue and not a driver one. Is there a tool for monitoring Vram?
    Mods can close/delete this now,

12. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    yeah you should update your guru 3d profile to say 1gb 6850 crossfire

because the vram is effectively only 1gb .

you can monitor your vram usage with MSI afterburner.

with 1gb vram you can run SOME ultra settings but not all.

just set everything to high and disable deferred AA. then try increasing the settings one at a time to ultra and see when stuttering starts.

with 1 gb 6870's in crossfire i was able to enable ultra textures and ultra effects , keeping everything else high (except deferred AA = always 0) without much stuttering.

13. GrandMax

GrandMax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1270Hz
    I personally do not think you can run with textures ultra with 1GB of Vram.

I think this is the issue. It makes sense that it appears after a while when you start flushing the vram for new textures.

Put mesh and texture to high and try again.

14. DawnOfD

DawnOfD New Member

GPU:
    hd6870 1gb Crossfire
    I used to have the same issue as you except I would start to get the slowdowns after about 30 minutes. Last thing I thought it would be was my ram because I was running 8gb. Ended up upgrading to 16gb (because it's so cheap) and my problems went away. I'm running 6870 1gb in crossfire on ultra settings except I disable MSAA and it's smooth usually around 60fps.

15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3050 Ti
    I have the same problem, im gonna try get 4gb more of ram next week. I really hope it fixes my problem i spend alot of money that i shouldnt spend on this PC.

16. heroxoot

heroxoot Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Maxed ultra my Vram uses less than 1024 in BF3, dont let anyone tell you its not enough. The slow downs are caused by the game though. Turning texture to high is enough to fix it for many including me. AA should always be off and AA post causes no slow downs. Blur is dumb for a FPS. Here are my settings, I had the same problem you talk about. Just turning down the texture fixed it and it works great.

[​IMG]

BTW, texture on ultra did work fine for me up until the B2K patch. I played on max all and then B2K made AA drop 20fps for anyone, and texture uses as much vram for high and ultra but ultra now caused the slow downs.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  17. heroxoot

heroxoot Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    double, sorry

18. lenne

lenne Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 GTX Gainward
    It will deffo fix it, 4gb system memory is not enough if ure using dual 1gb or single 2gb gfx, the gfx memory is mirrored into ur main memory so theres only 2gb left for the system and bf3 which is not enough.

i went through this twice with two different setups ( 4870x2 and 6950 ) and for both systems just upgrading the main memory to 8 gb fixed these very severe slowdowns.

Btw, with only 1gig of available framebuffer dont use any aa at all.

19. felang

felang Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX 680
    Also disable VSYNC, as framerate will dip down to 30 or 45 fps directly from 60 fps, causing apparent stuttering.

It is better to limit to around 60 fps ( I use 62 as 60 would cause a lot of tearing) in the console commands section of the BF3 settings editor (sorry, don´t remember exact name of the setting I´m talking about but it limits max fps).

Also, what others have said about not using deffered (MSAA) and ultra textures. Maybe you should play @ high and increase settings gradually to ultra as someone else already recommended.