BF3 crossfirex issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Ewilusz, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    When I enable crossfirex in BF3 i will get random frame drops every minute, from like 50 fps on ultra to like 14 fps when the spike happens. Also, the crossfirex does not seem to be working for skyrim. Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.

2x 6870, one xfx, one brand new diamond radeon. Though I have the radeon ad the default, and the xfx black edition as the bridged one.

2. Beast

Beast Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    What?

Have you installed the latest drivers as well as the latest CAP (Catalyst Application Profiles)?

3. Kruse

Kruse Active Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290X 4GB
    I'm having a similar issue. I just installed a second 6870 tonight, and I'm getting worse performance with Crossfire enabled than I get with a single card.

With Crossfire the fps is ~30...with a single card it's ~60.

I've tried some different drivers. Currently I have the 11.11c drivers installed with the current CAP 2 (11/18/11 release date).

Obviously something isn't right...

4. rongtw

rongtw Member Guru

GPU:
    asus 1060 strix
    i have 6870,s CF and have no problem with 11.11c ,cap2 bf3 runs ok for me

5. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    I was at cap 2 with 11.11b, found 11.11c last night but did not test that yet, will try that when I get home. Hoping it fixes this issue.

Can anyone confirm this differences from 11.11b to 11.11c?

6. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I was about to add a 6850 to my equation but now you just made me decide for going a single card solution. I will sell this baby and get a 6950 toxic oc or a neww 7000 series. if I can, i'll even go for an NVIDIA this time

7. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    just tried 11.11c and still get the spikes.

8. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    so any ideas or jsut single gpu it and sell a card lol?

9. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    11.11c add crossfirex support for 5xxx series cards nothing more.

10. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    dual core may be your problem.

11. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    I myself have a quadcore count vouch for him

12. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    Ewilusz, thanks. I'm not quite familiar with AMD cpu's anymore, when enabling crossfire what's your usage on all cores and threads? I had issues with "Core Parking" I don't know if this applies to AMD cpus http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=354623&highlight=Core+parking. as for Skyrim(I don't have or play it.) check the AT drivers section and the 11.11x threads, I have a feeling, that there are issues between game coding and drives that will need to be addressed by the game maker and AMD/ATI

13. mercury228

mercury228 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 ti
    I am actually having the same issue, but I have not always shad this problem. BF3 seemed to run smooth until recently. The changes have been drivers, and the new BF3 patch. I have seen others having a similar problem since the patch. It does not matter if I use one or both cards. My CPU is going up to 100% and then stuttering. Like I said never happened before.

14. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    With the new drivers and patches, some have had success, others not.My single GPU goes to 100% percent because I have it maxed and my quad 2600k can feed it the info it needs.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  15. deluxe

deluxe Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    This issue is seen a lot by people who try to run Ultra settings but only have 1 GB of VRAM.
    For MP ultra settings 1.5 GB is recommended.

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/battlefield-3-tweak-guide

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

16. BlueDream

BlueDream Member

GPU:
    MSI 5970
    This is my experience as well. The last bf3 patch introduced hitching/stuttering that wasn't there for me before. I have to turn off motion blur and set the textures to medium to make it more playable but there is still this variable hitching that is new since the patch. I think this is mostly a problem with the last patch and not the drivers. Fwiw I'm currently running 11.11c with no cap and that seems to work best for me in bf3 as it is now.

17. mercury228

mercury228 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 ti
    Yeah I looked enough now, I think its the patch. My PC is more than capable at running this game, and did before the 1.2 patch. I guess I will wait for Dice to fix it.:bang:

18. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    If you havent tried this i would suggest doing so i had poor performance cf for a while then i got driver sweeper. So get driver sweeper uninstall the amd drivers caps reboot in safe mode run driver sweeper reboot install new drivers and see if it helps also if u have ever used nvidia cards have driver sweeper look for old nvidia drivers {edit} i have 2 6850s in cf and i can play bf3 at 60 fps everything on ultra no motion blur no aa never drops below 60 fps in 1080p

19. Ewilusz

Ewilusz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560gtx 1gb
    did not work for me, also tried latest beta drives which helped some, but now get a blue flash when firing frag rounds from a shotgun.