BF2 crashing to desktop

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Paradigm, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Paradigm

Paradigm Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
    and before you say it, i have googled and most of the fixes i was able to apply have not worked

which included

modifying the link....to support the 12x10 reso
    renaming the movies to movies2
    modifying the video.con...to support higher reso's
    defaulted all settings in the NV panel (despite it having worked on these in the past...)
    reinstalled latest DX9
    no new hardware added or subtracte'd (apart from adding a DVI using 17" LCD set to 12x10)

guys have to solve this issue....Bf2 has been playing on my system well...with no real issues for quite sometime (read as despite a massive GPU upgrade from a 7600GT to a 8800GTS), now after an upgrade to a LCD (1280x1024 naive at 75hz) the game crashes to desktop

i have gone through the EA "crashes to desktop-without any error" FAQ's
    i have gone through (albeit) very small FAQ on BF2 tweaks on a website...

but none of these are helping

i tried to download (successfully) the 1.41 patch for BF2 (a whopping 500Mb+ yeah for me it was big..took me a week ) and it says patching, then fails (no dll or exe has been modified)

so please help me out

no drivers mobo/GPU have ever been changed...the game has been reliable on this setup and consistently played without any hiccoughs

using 162.18 dets ( never had any problem on this set, whatso ever) all the rest on the 6.85 FW's.... no new hardware added or subtracted..Dx9 has been reinstalled...windows patched

any ideas please

( thing is Farcry is still working on this reso...with no issue..why should BF2 do this..again the 1.41 patch is also not applying)

2. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 Vapor-X
    Do you have any of the expansions?
    I think before you apply the 1.41 patch you need to uninstall the game and any related expansions.
    Then they must be reinstalled in a particular order, then you should be able to apply the patch.
    I had been incrementally patching the game up to 1.40 and since there was no incremental patch up to 1.41 (only full patch ie the 500+mb you mentioned) when i tried the full patch it failed like yours.
    So i did the reinstall and the patch worked fine.
    Cant recall the order you have to install the expansions but if you just have BF2 then you should be fine
    Good Luck :)

3. Zero_Lux

Zero_Lux Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640MB
    If you're using Vista, dowload the latest 163.44 beta drivers from nvidia. Also download the microsoft virtual memory hotfix (there's a link to it on the nvidia beta driver page) that may fix your CTD (if your using Vista of course).

4. Paradigm

Paradigm Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
    yo stalkr....you will not believe it, somehow the game patched (existing installation) with the 1.41...but still no dice..... tried a nocd patch ...still does not work...

Zero....these issues are in XP.... although vista is doing relatively the same except with the additinal Dx9...somethingie... error...
    guys please... iwant to see this game in 12x10 goodness of a LCD screen...man for the money this thing is pretty good (a BenQ FP72E on DVI.... most LCD's in my country have VGA outputs...but seeing you guys here, and the reviews..and my budget...this LCD came out tops on al accords)

5. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    does the game crash during gameplay or at launch ? if it crashes at launch, try downloading a program called refresh force and set the refresh rate for 800 x 600 resolution to 60hz. this is the most common reason for BF2 failing to launch and god knows why DICE didnt add support for higher refresh rates. modifying the video.con file worked in battlefield vietnam but not in BF2 for some reason.

6. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 Vapor-X
  7. Paradigm

Paradigm Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
    repo game crashes at launch

and stalker i have gone through this guide (i referred to it on my initial post...very small FAQ )

i have installed the 163.44's in place of the last jul's WHQL's ....still nothing man

8. stalkerfan

stalkerfan Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 Vapor-X
    Check the Event Viewer under Administritive Tools and see what the error message is (if any)

9. Paradigm

Paradigm Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
    i don't see any entry relating to BF2 in the console (i mean there is an entry, but that was of Mcafee being unable to scan the 1.41 patch)

10. Jalucan

Jalucan New Member

GPU:
    8800 GTS 512
    The same thing happened to me with BF 2142. To fix it I just deleted the video.con files. After that it would start up.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    EEDit

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I think you'll find it's crashing because of the .exe you're using. If ur using an an ISO (for backup purposes only of course, ahem) you need a "special" exe file.

.exe: http://m0008.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_battlefield_2.shtml#Battlefield

ISO:
    http://m0008.gamecopyworld.com/games/pc_battlefield_2.shtml#Battlefield 2

Cloak: http://cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_utils_8.shtml#Y.A.S.U

Use Daemontools to mount it.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  13. Paradigm

Paradigm Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog
    naaw man, this game was working untouched perfectly for atleast 6 months there and about, it only conked out itself, with no real modification to it's software......

you will not believe it, i have misplaced my BF2 CD.... and methinks..it would take some time before i'd find it again ...so i installed BF2142....you will not believe it.....yup..crashes to desktop while loading the map... (since i cannot for the speeds on my internet...go and play online...i downloaded a mod for SP..... which incidentally unlocks the MAPS built for 64 players....more fun for me...but sadly..... CRASH...to desktop...rather i am naming this C2D....(i hope not infringing on intel rights)

so any help ........
    do i need to download the 1.25 patch
    any editing???
    noticed i have something installed from MS...software distribution...thing is before this little proggie entered my system, one of the maps (i think something harbour based in BF2142.... was playable...and right now it went....can't find the uninstall...in Control panel/ CC

14. Robbie Man

Robbie Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950GT 512mb
    i know you dont wanna hear this but a reformat will definatly fix the problem. Again its a pain in the ass, but it works most of the time :/