BEWARE XFX video cards

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MonsterMaxx, Apr 30, 2008.

1. MonsterMaxx

MonsterMaxx New Member

I bought one of their 7900GS cards because it was AGP and Dual DVI.

When I received the card I immediately thought the cooler was very wimpy and flimsy.

Upon first boot I noticed what I thought were extremely high temperatures even at idle. 80C and when pushed I'd discontinue the test when it went over 90C.

This is in a rack mount 3u case w/ fan wall and massive amounts of air flow. Case and CPU temps stay below 100F

Called XFX and they said 'normal'

It's now two months later, I don't game, don't push, I just run two displays and do my work. It's now got severe artifacting all over and is clearly ready to die.

Called XFX, they say 'send it in' I said 'I use this machine every day, I cannot put it down while I wait for you to inspect it, please cross ship a non-defective card'. They refused. They will not cross ship under any conditions.

So, if you want an XFX, you should be aware that their cards run abnormally high temperatures due to lousy fans and that their warranty policy may put you down for a couple weeks.

XFX is NOT a good solution in a professional market. Should be only slated for toy markets where it does not matter if the computer is down for weeks at a time.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    Mines OC'ed and absolutely fine.

3. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, Maxx. You were just unlucky.
    XFX is in the top 3 of all video card brands, along with BFG Tech and eVGA. This is the opinion of (almost) all Gurus.

You will not find a company that ships a new card without you returning the old first. That is absolute.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  4. RossCorp

RossCorp Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 570GTX SLI
    Well...I'm sorry you got a defective card, but to rag on XFX for one little fault is a bit extreme. I had an XFX 7900GS, pci-e mind you, but it has the same reference cooler. It ran warm, but not as hot as yours does. I had the "XT" variant as well, so the core was getting slightly more voltage, 1.3v instead of the 1.2v (or 1.25, can't remember) that the reference boards get.

All in all, 80c at idle is way too hot, and I would have returned it the day I installed it. IIRC, mine idled in the mid 50's, and loaded to mid to high 70's. Once I got a VF900 on there, it idled below 40c and load below 60c. With a volt mod and a big overclock (700mhz on the core), it would idle just above 40c, and load approached 70c!

Again, I'm not trying to be a dink, just saying that you shouldn't instantly label a company because of ONE faulty product...it sucks, I know, but you'll never, EVER, have a 100% guarantee that a certain product is defect-proof!

5. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
    Adding to the above, you cannot batter a company for not shipping a replacement first..this aint no 'courtesy car' situation....dont think there is one company that will do that (in IT anyway).

Be thankful that they have good enough warranty system that allows for this and they dont just tell you 'you have had it for 5mins...so f*** off'!!

Man.....some people want the Earth!!

6. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    It's likely a fluke, sometimes even cards from the most reputable vendors get damaged in shipping because for some reason they don't travel well, just like many fine wines. In fact BFG used to be so infamous for having caps yanked out in shipping that most people wanting a BFG preferred buying them in retail stores.

I buy my hardware from a friend of mine who owns a local chain of hardware stores, we once discussed which brands shipped with the least incidence of damage and his reply was a little surprising: he couldn't remember having ever received any video card from either PNY (a mainstream brand) or Asus (a relatively costly brand) that was damaged but all other brands had such occurences, the worst being BFG. Asus cards are more carefully packaged than any other brand I know so that's probably the explanation but I have no idea for PNY.

Online retailers get their hardware from the same wholesalers/importers brick-and-mortar retailers do so it's a good idea to keep such statistics in mind when choosing between buying online or in a store. Sometimes the few extra bucks are well worth it.

7. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yep just bad luck...i on the other hand only owned one xfx card ......it freaking rocked

8. Slaymate

Slaymate Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SLI 800/2000
    I've had to RMA an XFX card before. They cross-shipped to me. I had to supply them with my credit card info but they gave me 2 weeks to get the vid card to them and my credit card was never charged. I suggest trying to talk to a different person. Talk to Eric if he's still there :)

9. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I must resist the temptation to laugh, but there are probably 20 people named Eric there. ;)

10. MrCompillitrate

MrCompillitrate Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m

yeah dude you're just unlucky. dont complain over your first card. mine ran at 50C and i never had problems with anything XFX. their tech support is amazing

Last edited: May 1, 2008

11. Nexevo

Nexevo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX275 GS
    Prolly depends where you are though...

XFX just announced the new modder warranty, trouble is it only applies to US and Canada. Sucks when your in the EU as it don't apply :(

Still, to the OP, sometimes a chicken lays a bad egg...

12. KINGKONG

KINGKONG Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600GTS 256MB 720/1095
    you are not the only person with problems with XFX cards mate i have had issues with my 8600GTS i bought off them.

i run my monitor on the DVI 2 output because the DVI 1 output just has a green tinge thru it.

I also got high ass temps but i did research and found the 8600GTS runs at high temps normally so didnt worry about it as also its factory oced and its only the stock nvidia fan they use.

BUT..the think that anoyed me most with XFX wasnt there card problem was the customer service.

I rang the person i bought it off they said i had to contact XFX so went on the site registered my card number and posted a ticket.

i still have the exact card running in my pc now couldnt be bothered with RMA 2 much hassles.
    They contacted me back with answers that i had already tried eg.try card in another PC try another monitor.

After all that they gave me a email address email and get a form (THIS IS WHERE IT GOT HOPELESS)

now these guys i email were in Hong Kong they didnt have clue what was going on i sent the form in filled out they sent it back and asked for my RMA number i sent it back again with that number i waited 3 week no reply so i emailed them they asked me to do the form again then i waited 3 weeks i emailed them asked whats going on and they said have you mailed the card i said noone has asked me to mail the card to hong kong then i had to go thru the whole form process again as the had no record so thank good i didnt send the card in.

XFX website was good though but these guy in HK were hopeless.:bang:

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  13. BaDmOfO

BaDmOfO Maha Guru

GPU:
    2 x Evga sc GTX 780
    You have bad luck with video cards maxx. I noticed your other post is complaining about a gainward videocard...

14. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I know EVGA will cross ship, if your using the Stepup and you pay for it, kinda like the guy said, they have your credit card, if you dont **** the old one back they just charge you.

Not sure about the 7900GS, but i know the 7950GT AGP card were realy realy bad about over heating.
    I have the BFG 7950GT OC PCI-E and it works like a dream in my old pc, never had a problem out of it.

I have never owned XFX card before, but with BFG and EVGA around, i dont see me ever testing a XFX, no reason to.

I have had 6 BFG Cards no problems, 1 PNY no problem, and 2 EVGA no problems.
    Realy only GPUs i have ever had any problem out of were 3 ATI cards, one old 32meg card i cant remeber the name and 2 9800Pro cards that died and took the mobo with them, or maybe it was 2 mobos that died and took the 2 9800pros with them, but needless to say that was my last time ill ever go with ATI.

15. TurboPenguin

TurboPenguin Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX480 SC
    XFX Bad Customer Service

I used to have an XFX card, actually the 7900GS and the same thing but the card stopped!! RMAed it had the same problem with cross shipping. So i sent it in... 4 weeks later i FINALLY got a response from someone that they were sending me a 8500GT PCI-E!!! Only problem was the computer it was in only had AGP!!!! They told me to upgraade!! Needless to say XFX is evil in every shape and form in my books!

16. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan

Thats really poor, even in my books. This may sound strange but I alway's liked Inno3d the products have always been reliable with a 3 year warantee, and I've only RMA's one card back to them (6800NU) to which they replaced it very quickly with a 6800GT.

Zoozer

17. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 260 OC (Core 216)
    Maybe your just unlucky dude,i've had my XFX card for nearly a year now and i've not had any problems with it so far.

18. Subternal

Subternal Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT STOCK
    Thank you sir! I don't know why this guy thinks they're going to simply send him a new one while he sends the one in question back to the factory.... it's simple common sense and logic.

My XFX 88GT annihilates all... and has never ran hot.

I'm sorry to hear you got what sounds like a bad apple in the bunch,

Chr*s

19. smiles

smiles New Member

I'm having some problems with my 7900GS card as well - drops signal to my monitor after about 10 minutes of running, andnthe video card fan kicks up to max. PC is locked up at that point, and I'm forced to reboot. Pulle/swapped RAM to make sure it wasn't a RAM issue. Ultimately bought another video card (BFG) locally to confirm that was the bad part. Personally, I was disappointed in their tech support, who insisted I "try another video card, or try the video card in another machine" before they'd proceed further on troubleshooting. Those aren't very practical options for everyone. I'll overlook my tech support experience in light of XFX's generally decent reputation. Still waiting for my ticket to be picked up from their support queue to see if they'll honor my request for a cross ship.

As for cross-shipping (also known as advance replacement/advance RMA), it's not unheard of . Often you provide a credit card as "insurance" that you'll return the defective part within a specified time (14-30 days) and you get the replacement in advance. Some charge a small fee for the service. I've experienced it personally with BFG a few years ago, and more recently when researching HDs found Seagate and (I think)?) Western Digital does as well for their HDs. Folks condemning it as impossible or an unreasonable expectation are dead wrong.

20. YuKsS

YuKsS Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    xfx is fine, just bad luck.. sorry, but this kind of things happens everyday even with company as SONY, SAMSUNG (to mentions an example)..