1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware of WHEA Errors on x570 Platform, PCIe Data Coruption.

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by MegaFalloutFan, Jul 26, 2019.

1. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    People reported a serious bug on x570 platform: PCIe Gen 3 devices corrupt windows files and responsible to large amounts of WHEA errors to the point of making a system unstable.
    Its especially problematic with NVIDIA cards and NVMe Storage devices that use their own drivers like Samsung SSDs.

Official AMD Response and probably a solution on July 30:

"Update on WHEA Warnings, Destiny 2, and desktop idle on July 30"
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ciajef/placeholder_update_on_whea_warnings_destiny_2_and/

Nvidia Response:

"Nvidia has isolated Ryzen 3000’s GeForce BSOD error and is working on a fix"
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/amd-ryzen-3000-bsod-whea-error

If you have WHEA errors and Ryzen 3000 + NVIDIA card, read the following quote and complete Nvidia report/survey, also you can contact that nvidia guy directly on twitter or reddit:

[​IMG]

An Excellent video that presents all the majors bugs and issues with Ryzen 3000 CPUs and x570 platform. [Fanboy Warning: Wear a second pair of Pampers]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    AGESA 1.0.0.3 should fix the issue.

3. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    AGESA is not some magical fix, the fix has to come from everyone, nvidia been researching this bug on their side too, but nvidia is just one company, what about all the PCIe devices out there? How many will release updated drivers?
    I hope AGESA fixes it, I was going to order asus her or msi prestige in advance before 16 core comes out, but im puting it on hold
    I use tons of PCIE devices

4. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    trust me. It's a magical fix.

5. Webhiker

Webhiker Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080i SC2
    Your logic is flawed.....
    If the fix has to come from everyone, then how is it as platform specific problem ?
    IMO it's not a platform problem, but an AGESA problem.
    The new BIOS for ROG Hero VII (AGESA 1.0.0.3) did apparently fix the WHEA problem.
    Judging by the Ryzen 2xxx launch I have every reason to believe that all problems will be fixed.
    Which is also why I ordered and paid for a Ryzen 9 3900X which will arrive any day now.
    In the PCIe gen 4 thread you call Ryzen problems outrageous and in this thread you call it insane.
    At the same time you ... again ... state you won't be buying a Ryzen 3950X.
    To me it looks like you are on a paid crusade, espicially since you link to a video with CTS labs in it.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the op is on a major intel shill campaign guys, pay him no attention.

whilst i've been accused by some fanbrats on here of being the same, i've actually been trying to connect users to available bios updates when they are made available and for the most part have done.

Fox2232, HandR and Undying like this.
  7. MegaFalloutFan

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti 11Gb
    Nvidia reported about this problem and that they working to fix it on their side, the issue is due to how AMD implemented 4th gen signaling, it has to be fixed by both parties.
    Now its time to email Intel to get my paycheck.

P.S. You die hard fanboy like Ostriches, thats your prerogative, keep your head in the sand.
    I reported about issues, you can take them or ignore them, but running to defended of an Corp is hilarious.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats some serious projection you have going on there.

nvidia aren't working on a fix on their end at all, the issue has never been in the drivers or their hardware.

They are however working with AMD to make the source end work better (since pci-e link tuning is a function of the controller - which the Bios code handles).

But you wouldn't know anything about that, you've likely never read one of the specupdates that detail flaws in cpu's and the workarounds or bios fixes detailed.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  9. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    He’s going off that one reddit post that claimed some guy at Nvidia was working on it but that post was made well before anyone knew what they were talking about. Realizing all PCIE devices caused the problem. Of course AGESA 1.0.0.3. has fixed it.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    bizude even deleted that post, another guy copied it before hand though so thats still present on reddit.

11. Mikki79

Mikki79 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I have a Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX board with the latest BIOS, I still get WHEA errors. Didn't seem to fix it for me. (and I've read others say the same)

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  12. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I had it really bad on my ASRock B450M pro 4 to the point I couldn’t get it stable for more than 5 minutes. The recent release of the BIOS with AGESA fixed it so it most assuredly has nothing to do with Nvidia drivers. Perhaps you should contact your boards tech support and get an RMA. Unfortunately the WHEA issue is very real.

13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    As much as I want to build my computer, I hate to be an early adopter of the new platform.

Mufflore and fantaskarsef like this.
  14. Mikki79

Mikki79 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I haven't had my computer crash even once though. It's just if I check the system logs there are these WHEA-logger event ID 17 all over the place. Not sure what they mean. My windows installation is Swedish.

"
    Ett korrigerat maskinvarufel har uppstått.

Komponent: PCI Express Legacy Endpoint
    Felkälla: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primär buss:Enhet:Funktion: 0x9:0x0:0x0
    Sekundär buss:Enhet:Funktion: 0x0:0x0:0x0
    Namn på primär enhet: PCICI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1E82&SUBSYS_37C11458&REV_A1
    Namn på sekundär enhet:
    "

A bunch of these seem to pop up every once in a while.

15. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Mine were popping up quite often from my GTX1070 and my Samsung NVME ssd. Most of them were “correctable” but the ones that weren’t resulted in a BSOD.

Edit:

One thing I came across in my search for answers was that users were able to correct the problem on X570 by changing the PCIE ports to 3.0 which won’t affect you unless you’re using 4.0 devices.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019

16. Mikki79

Mikki79 New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    One guy in the thread of which there is a screenshot at the top also claimed that some WHEA errors are harmless and it's basically just some nonsense that windows reports. I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much untill the PC actually starts crashing. I think my old 6700k/GTX 1070 Intel laptop reports a bunch of WHEA errors every now and then as well. There were some corrupted files but I havent gotten any new corrupted files after I managed to fix them... so far at least. Apparently some people using Intel systems got the same files corrupted from a recent windows update.

I'll just ignore it for now and hope for the best.

17. Kool64

Kool64 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Yeah the 20 or 30 or so I was getting an hour were harmless too except for when I was doing something that put stress on a PCIE device.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    some are, but you should never get them on a combination of parts working correctly.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Have never seen a single WHEA error (Win7, Win8.1, Win10) ...

20. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    This. Hence I've definitely postponed my build towards the end of this year... whether way I go.