Beware of NORTON

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by talisman954, Mar 7, 2004.

1. sniperbr0

sniperbr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC BLACK 1080TI
    I had norton for 3 years, I had never a problem, until this week, the computer was infested with virus and norton just did nothing, and it locked up, I needed to buy a new one(NIS2004) which didnt work on my father´s pc (Celeron 633mhz 128mb win98), and I had to combine 2002 with 2004 doing lots of tweaks and then I got a good combination: NAV 2002 and NIS 2004, but I´m not trusting NAV 2002 anymore... I would try Mcafee but it´s a whole new experience and I heard about it isnt too simple as norton

2. MrOuija

MrOuija Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF2 MX 400 32MB/GF 7600 g
    hehe i'm not going to say I ever used something else, but my computer isn't acting more weird then it has ever done so i trust it's okay:D

3. bigmaxy

bigmaxy Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 285
    MonsterBash: That thing is strangley freaking me out.....

4. Dublo7

Dublo7 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512mb OC @ 700/1750/999
    I have never had a problem with Norton

5. top_gun36

top_gun36 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9800 Pro|MR9600 Pro Turbo
    02 Systemworks and still going strong

6. Spyrosss

Spyrosss Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 6600GT
    First mistake is that u are comparing a 2003 product (NSW 2003) with a 2004 product (MCAFEE PRO).
    Try Norton Antivirus 2004 and u will see that it has a lot of new features like spyware,adware,hacktool,keylogger etc scanning.
    The second mistake is that u gave 90$ for NSW 2003 :eek: when Symantec sells NSW 2004 at the price of 69.95$ at the official website and also NSW is not only an AV program but it also includes system maintenace and monitor tools even its own Sysstem Restore (GoBack).Actually its 5 progs in one.
    NAV 2004 has much more features than Mcafee 8 (2004) and enhaced file scanning within compresses files.Mcafee scans only zip's and some types of rar and that was fixed recently with the new scanning engine release.
    Mcafee doesnt even have password protection and a hacker that may connect to your PC taking advantage the absence of firewall protection can easilly shut it down.
    Norton Internet Security 2004 is the best for me.Easy for the novice user,and full of capabilities and customization for the advanced.

7. blair

blair Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI X1900 XT
    I had to get rid of AVG. It was kind of annoying. I liked the whole free aspect - but it kept giving me false positives. And i could get rid of all the stupid boxes that came up because of them. And yes - they really were false positives. So now i'm a norton man. Ha. Good times.

8. Wicky

Wicky Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 5850
    Norton was good on MS-DOS for the tools, never good after transporting to Windows, and worst when they expanded into Anti-Virus business.
    If anything doesn't work, uninstall NAV first and see if that fixes the problem.

McAfee has always been exclusively in the anti-virus sector, has always found any virus, and still are one of the the best makers for anti-virus tools.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2004