Better than Downsampling!! (NVIDIA)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by amine4ever, Aug 30, 2015.

1. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    TXAA is the best solution now days as I've seen with my own eyes while gaming (and when game supports it), second comes downsampling. As mentioned SweetFX FXAA and SMAA is very nice when standing still,only. Driver's FXAA (when truly available and supported) is good as cheap alternative.

TXAA and supersampling (or at least downsampling) is the best and perf hungry combination today.

2. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    Except TXAA is ****ing horrible to look at

3. acroig

acroig Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti - 6GB VRAM
    Agreed.

4. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Downsampling + SMAA is the way to go.

SMAA + FXAA is low-budget AA. But if you have the power, downsampling from higher resolutions gives the best possible IQ. I avoid FXAA at all costs.

5. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    each one has a preferred AA, but try to use FXAA and get rid off the blur with lumasharpen, and see if the result is interesting. ;)

6. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Different tastes and types to each own,ofc,
    but, I really can't say that TXAA is blurry "as hell" some folks keep say,yes it's not sharp "as hell" yet IMO it does very good work as AA method and also and most important even when moving, while smaa/fxaa doesn't look good when on motion (unless you olny care playing for screenshots and don't care about aliasing while moving around..).
    It has it's issues per game, I agree that the king is supesampling but sometimes it's just not enough (depends by game,again) and an AA method is still required..

Every method has it's pros and cons no matter what we all say. And performance impact is a factor that makes some people to judge incorrectly if you ask me.

However I will test what's on OP as suggested.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  7. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I could never get SweetFX's to work in any of my games without it crashing to desktop on start. I tried couple of times, for it's Filters and for its Down-sampling. Before nvida added DSR to tier drivers. I eneded up stop messing with it.

I have used FXAA a couple of times but I don't like the way the it looks, so I always switch it to MSAA. I only have a few games that supports TXAA like The Secret World but I don't use it either.

8. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    i don't have an nvidia gpu so i can't try txaa, but i'm sure that if you use txaa from nvidia control panel and apply lumasharpen, you will have a pretty nice result!!

9. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    SweetFX is now meant to be run using a new injector - ReShade - http://reshade.me/

Works very well at v1, haven't found an incompatible game yet.

10. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    You can't force TXAA.

11. Dr4Wm4N

Dr4Wm4N Member Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 3090
    Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, no compatible injector found so far...

12. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090
    in some games work, and look nice, yes, but in others i see moving edges, like little ants climbing a branch, i thinks in some games produce conflicts.

13. amine4ever

amine4ever Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    i would love to see the result of (TXAA) vs (TXAA+lumasharpen).

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
  15. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    TXAA is combination of MSAA, TAA and post-process filter. Saying that this combination is slightly better than simple blurring the **** out of the rendered scene, is idiotic at least.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    If your card can handle it, using the right bits and custom AA looks a lot better than any of the half-cooked solutions.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...XoEfDuaDiiP--H4BJ-U/edit?pli=1#gid=1911323755
    Personally I don't use DSR since it can't handle GUI's in some games and overlays in general, not fancying to sit with a microscope to read stuff on the screen.

As for weak cards or games that have high demands, FXAA and SMAA is a descent solution to avoid way to much framedrops.

17. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Many of those bits will give you OGSSAA, which is the same thing as downsampling, a.k.a. DSR. The only difference is game doesn't need to have proper scaling. Quality-wise it's the same thing.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Exactly, hence why I prefer that over DSR since GUI and overlays stay intact and/or are scaled properly.

19. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Downsampling (via custom resolution) combined with MSAA wherever possible for me.
    Great AA inc during motion no blur. Just how I like PC gaming to be.

Shader AA, can look good in static screenies but it doesn't do much for them motion crawlies !!

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Honestly I think FXAA+SMAA looks horrible. Too many visual issues there. Driver FXAA is superior in my opinion (too bad that there's no way to capture it in screenshot with Dxtory or other similar tools).