Better Tear Control Policies, Game Capture, and GPU Improvements

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Erick, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    Better Tear Control Policies, Game Capture, and GPU Improvements

I published the info to my Google Docs and is now visible to the web. There are more settings I need to learn about and I have more free range to produce a document that cannot get tampered with.

Google Docs Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...unyAaGm2YpIt_XsmiI8Tx4j_uMAaQ1UYrrWQClwUU/pub

NVIDIA Profile Inspector | Customized Profiles Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AinZYe1ANtFK0Uy0zsCk5GtnCAOP?e=hyTBVA

Note: Applying this custom Base profile will enable 2D mode on your NVIDIA GPU. I adjusted the profile so that it does not play with your eyes. If you do not wish to enable this mode, then default the settings in the Stereo Section before you apply it.

Results YouTube Video (720p)

Updated 15 September 2019:

• Added Additional Notes Section
    • Included Microsoft Edge (Dev/Beta), Aspect Ratio and Scaling, and OBS Studio Profile Adjustments
    • Included OneDrive Link For Customized Profiles: Base Profile and OBS Studio
    I made some profile modifications to OBS Studio profile to make the application behave like a media application. I used settings from Adobe Premiere's profile to improve the vertical synchronization behavior. See the Additional Notes, Note 3 for more info. I also used the same two settings in the base profile as well. I will add the documentation in Section 8: Extra after some testing.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019 at 2:31 PM
    akbaar and ne0x like this.
  2. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    8 Dec 19 Update:

I uploaded the NVIDIA Profile Inspector Customized Profile that I was testing for about a month. There were a lot of modified values along with their nested profiles (one bit inherits eight profiles). This took a lot of time, so I decided to stop modifying, start testing, and start updating the document. Now that I understand a lot more of how each bit is being used, I will stop adjusting and start updating the document. In the future, I will do this one value at a time and then document it. You may wonder about the changes. Well..... ;)

There were a lot of nuances that just impacted the performance of the driver: Anisotropic Filtering (though it looks nice, it's off and set to Point.), AA flags, AO flags, nested profiles with a Game Ready driver that runs CAD driven settings. I didn't remove any CAD apps, but set some of them to use Adobe Premiere's tear free setting. I changed the Optimus Shim Render to use Occulus VR Runtime (this was the major problem to stuttering in all games with the default settings no matter how much dedicated memory is used).

League of Legends is NVIDIA's standard game for tear control and there are some apps that control the Fast Sync (a mix of nested profiles with VSync On and Triple Buffering On). League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, Dota 2 are the premier games that delivers the best tear control, so I enabled the GTX 950 specific features (these three games are tied to it and have a lot to do with VSync). I also made adjustments to the Triple Buffering, for some of the nested profiles that I will document have different hex bits. Doing so improved performance with VSync. Let me be the one to say....VSync and Triple Buffering are a massive headache, but I have the patience to test them.

I also changed some PhysX bits (two nested apps that will be documented) to use async compute and mix of hardware textures and force OpenGL textures. I forced it on Globally because PhysX will work when it needs. There are about 7 nested profiles that games will use and those are also tied to CAD apps. This gives the game a better look, but not an ultra sharp look when using the Image Sharpening setting. Previously some shimmering could be seen on the applications, browsers, and games. AMD's GPU's use edge clamping and some things look blurry by default. NVIDIA's GPU's can clamp to edge as well, but I liked these custom settings more. I also changed Edge's Vsync behavior to not use any flags and enable the use of G-Sync. The default settings cause a ton of stuttering. Finally, without using the driver's shaders, I used the proprietary FXAA and the set custom value. This made the overall picture look and feel really nice without compromising frames.

I also left some launcher apps in there because they were interfering with G-Sync even though I reported it to EA, Steam, Epic, and NVIDIA. G-Sync would disengage, so I spent hours troubleshooting (DDU, reinstalling the driver, etc.) Once I closed the Epic Games Launcher, then G-Sync started working again. NVIDIA's profile setting for each application was set to Disallow. Instead of being set to disallow (the app will bypass this setting), I changed the Application Request to Force Off for launchers only.

That is pretty much all there is and so far, I am enjoying a lot of games with these customized settings. Again, the document will slowly be updated with the reflected customized profile.

(edit) The only game that does not like these settings (Global Policy only) is Doom, so I'm currently testing it. There are artifacts appearing on the screen.

(edit) After troubleshooting, the setting Optimize for Compute Performance caused Vulkan to glitch out in Doom. Set it to off since the GPU's are already in Compute mode by default. This causes some strange artifacts. With that being said, I updated the Gaming Profile in the OneDrive link (my folder) above and will start from there.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019 at 2:29 PM
    ne0x likes this.
  3. N1ghtWalker

N1ghtWalker New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970
    Good afternoon Erick!
    I'm interested in trying out these modifications for a new game called Escape From Tarkov! It is still in closed beta (I bought the game) but I would like to ask if these modifications are effective for newer games ?! Thanks in advance!

4. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    If it's a newer game, there is only one way to find out....just give it a try. I'm still testing these modifications even with newer games. Just make a backup of all profiles before testing just in case and they will not brick the GPU. That way, you can restore them. The nested profiles to each bit is really puzzling, but is neat to see improvements or residual results.

5. N1ghtWalker

N1ghtWalker New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970
    Good afternoon. My fear is that it will be banned. Because there are certain changes in the inspector that are considered cheats! So what I was thinking was to offer an experimental CD-key (1 week if I'm not mistaken). Was this possible to test yourself? Since you understand more of the subject? Thanks in advance.

6. ne0x

ne0x Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I set the values from Ericks google doc. Im not sure but EFT does seem to be running good. However the stutters are still there because most of the stutters are cause by the game/server when players/ai spawn etc.

Also the FPS is still bad > between 40 / 120 depending on where and what you do in game. Thats just the game not being optimized.

@Erick, Thanks for the experiments. Some settings do seem to work well on my system

Erick likes this.
  7. N1ghtWalker

N1ghtWalker New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970
    @ne0x First of all, thank you very much for the reply. So I'll try it. My fear was being banned for changing certain inspector settings. And visually, has it generally improved or worsened? Thank you

Erick likes this.
  8. ne0x

ne0x Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Visually @N1ghtWalker it does look sharper. I am not pleased with the Anisotropic Filtering so im tweaking it a bit as i go. Grass also seems a bit too sharp so it feels like theres a lot of pixel movement in it when in game. So im playing around ith some other AA settings

I havent ever heard of anybody gettign banned for tweaking game settings with Inspector.

9. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    Nice work Erick!

Erick likes this.
  10. N1ghtWalker

N1ghtWalker New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970
    @ne0x As soon as I get the chance, I'll try it out! Regarding being banned, if I'm not mistaken, has in the official forum of the game. Because there are certain settings that give you the advantage to see the enemies. For example, take the grass.

11. ne0x

ne0x Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    At some point in the past there was a possibility to tweak LOD settings and "sort of" get rid of grass. It has been patched by the devs alreadys.
    I have been using Inspector like a normal person would with EFT for a few moths and have not got a ban ever.

Again, use at your own risk. i think is unlikly to get you banned with normal use.

My advice: if you are in doubt > dont use it.

12. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    The updated settings that I am testing has the AF settings set to off, but of course you can set it to your liking. :)

13. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    Thank you Jaggerwild. :)

14. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    They don't mind people using custom settings to their GPU's if it helps them improve their settings. They will set everything to whatever the industry standards are and all settings can go back to the defaults at any time. With the latest driver, they included the image sharpening again. I know that in the past, it was considered to be cheating in tournaments, so they removed it years ago.

15. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    Oh not at all. The new settings that I am testing has turned the LOD (DirectX Level of Detail) way down. Gamers can now use the Image Sharpening (finally after a decade!). I found that this was what people were doing in the past to "cheat" but what it can cause is values to look "blacker than black" so with better resolutions today, I adjusted it slightly. As long as I am not claiming that this is "mine" or telling people to "Sponsor me and I will give you this". I seen people doing that, which will lead to trouble.

I never tested that CD-Key; I didn't want to venture into that area, just test with different bits and settings.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019 at 6:47 AM

16. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    You're welcome and feel free to continue experimenting. :) I tried using the ASync compute, so on the updated settings I turned those off. I also read their release notes as well; Async Compute is not working so well, which explains it. I'll post new settings soon, but I have to note what I changed on the customized profile.

17. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    Visually it improved and now they have the image sharpening, so you can adjust that to your liking. :) With Windows 10 1903, I marked a lot of settings in the document as red for they will get rolled back. Also check out the Slimming Utility. That can reduce the attack surface of the driver and also improve gameplay, unless you use GeForce Now, Experience, etc.

18. ne0x

ne0x Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    @Erick Yeah, your configuration was a good starting point, i've been tweaking some more after using it as a baseline. Theres not much (performance) improvements to be had on a game like escape from tarkov because the game is just not optimized. Also most performance issues are server sided at the moment.

Currently im trying to get TXAA as sharp as possible, the game has FXAA which is just too jagged no matter what settings i try and, the TXAA is blurry as frack when moving but, when stationary it is much better than the FXAA in game.

With FXAA there are a lot of jagged egdes that "move" wen the in game character is moving, also textures / lines on the textures seem t obe flickering with FXAA. on TXAA no issues with that.

I have set the Texture filtering settings to 16x and Quality, and it does suffice for now.

19. Erick

Erick Active Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury 4GB HBM
    Ok and I gotcha, so you like the TXAA, which I agree is very good. I just uploaded a new base starting point by the way; that setting Optimize for Compute Performance caused some strange artifacts to appear in Doom 2016 on the Vulkan side, so I turned it off. I don't have Escape from Tarkov, but will check it out. I don't currently understand why Temporal AA is flippin blurry yet either, but I can tackle that fun journey again. It can't hurt. I'll leave that first profile up as a base then.

The thing was....TXAA has to be supported by the engine. I wanted to use a custom AA that can enhance the game's built in AA with some added supersampling and multisampling, which can give it a smooth look. I turned off and prevented AF from being used because I learned that it causes some strange blurry textures in smoke, clouds, effects, water, etc. Street Fighter V, Abigail's stage, was broken because of it. VCAA makes it look sharp and OGSSAA, or Ordered Grid was too solid because the samples were evenly spread.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019 at 2:59 PM