Better Tear Control Policies, Game Capture, and GPU Improvements

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by Erick, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Better Tear Control Policies, Game Capture, and GPU Improvements

I published the info to my Google Docs and is now visible to the web. There are more settings I need to learn about and I have more free range to produce a document that cannot get tampered with.

Google Docs Link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/...unyAaGm2YpIt_XsmiI8Tx4j_uMAaQ1UYrrWQClwUU/pub

NVIDIA Profile Inspector | Customized Profiles Link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AinZYe1ANtFK0Uy0zsCk5GtnCAOP?e=hyTBVA

Note: Applying this custom Base profile will enable 2D mode on your NVIDIA GPU. I adjusted the profile so that it does not play with your eyes. If you do not wish to enable this mode, then default the settings in the Stereo Section before you apply it.

Results YouTube Video (720p)

Updated 2 March 2020

• The document doesn't match my updated file. NVIDIA and Microsoft have cranked out some new features that will require more reading and understanding. I will not remove it as the info is still available for reading.
    ASUS ROG STRIX X399 E-GAMING / BIOS-UEFI ADJUSTMENTS FOR GAMING https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vQkZ1GaVieSkx5EA0Z3UDkJRsUaaNMzsDALw0l2fwBzdWl_WKo6_Gw4o2dVmnj9Fggzhtg-wKzOgIDt/pub

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  2. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    14 Aug 2021

More adjustments to Windows Defender's Average Scan shows that it should be set to 0 for gaming for it throttles the CPU to achieve it's scanning. Well, everything uses the CPU, so I set mine to 0 (disables CPU throttling). If your computer is idle, Defender will start it's scans and consume the CPU, so applications like OBS that run will also lose to it.

Another wild thing to discover is that the Multimedia Scheduler Service bottlenecks I/O (input and output that has everything to do with your CPU, GPU, memory, chipset, and motherboard) in Windows 10/11, which bottlenecks my OBS recordings as well, so I'm shutting it down forever. The command line, sc config mmcss start=disabled, is the only way to turn this service off. Your computer will love you for shutting down a nearly 20 year old feature designed for slow computers. If Microsoft replaces it with something that's designed with UEFI in mind, then let me know. If you decide to make these changes, or any driver change, run winsat formal in the command line to build a new profile for you Windows PC.

11 Aug 2021

I made some adjustments to Windows Defender as there are more things running under the hood and can only be changed by Powershell. Though it may degrade security, I turned off some of it's IPS behavior as well as some items that consumes memory, CPU, and GPU. I also tuned it to use a scan average of 10 instead of the default 50 (I'm guessing 50 percent of CPU). I used the winsat command, so the results....

Before the change:
    > Uniproc CPU Vista Compression 191.84 MB/s
    > Uniproc CPU SHA1 Hash 475.17 MB/s
    > Memory Performance 21277.75 MB/s
    > Video Memory Throughput 75965.50 MB/s

After the change:
    > Uniproc CPU Vista Compression 193.03 MB/s
    > Uniproc CPU SHA1 Hash 475.13 MB/s
    > Memory Performance 21310.35 MB/s
    > Video Memory Throughput 76796.90 MB/s

An increase of 831.4 MB/s is a pretty big jump is video memory throughput. Windows Defender??? I didn't expect this kind of difference, but clearly it should use a smaller footprint. More to follow.

6 Aug 2021

I started understanding more about Rivatuner Statistics Server this past week and learned the differences between the modes. I'm currently using Windows 11 and now understood that Game Mode is tied to the Graphics Settings. That will be another topic for another day when I update the info here.

The interesting find is the differences in modes and I also will document some recommended settings for the use of frametime limit. You should use AMD/NVIDIA Vsync as well as in-game vsync as not all applications are developed properly for Fast/Enhanced Sync. To set the frametime limit, left-click on the frame limit text and it will change. The calculated values (for 30 fps) are derived from 1/30 = 0.033333.

For the Global settings, I recommend keeping the setting to Off. (changed this info because mirrored displays are affecte)

For the games that you add (their executables), you should use a frametime limit of 16666, or 60 fps and a scanline sync of 0.

Now for the differences in Application detection modes. If you set the mode to Off, then there is no frame limiting applied to anything. If you set the mode to Low, then the frame limiting is applied to the application. If you set the frame limiting to Medium, then the frame limiting is set to the application with more use from the CPU, which is my preference. If you set the mode to High, this will put the application detection into a debug state, though it is still being applied.

I recommend using the Medium application detection. Using this config will help stabilize the vertical sync with the application while forcing the CPU to help, which is also getting assistance from the Game Mode, if enabled, as well as the Power Performance plan, Hardware Accelerated Graphics, VRR, and the Graphics settings. I may write a technical paper about a lot of these topics as Windows 11's new behavior is designed to make these capabilities work together. We just need to understand how and in what way.

9 Jun 2021

Some or most of the NVIDIA Profile Inspector changes that I made will be reflected later when I update the document to match my new settings and new hardware.

I am actively reading forums to see why game stuttering is happening. I posted my motherboard BIOS recommendations above. There are more settings that I will post that involves G-Sync's vertical range. Once I set it to 48hz on the vertical, games that run at 120hz and above stopped stuttering. There will be more to follow this month as well for I recommend that you begin migrating towards the use of NVMe as well as newer GPU's. I also will post some shader cache modifications that allows the NVIDIA diver to use it's cache effectively. Last but not least, I will not recommend that you purchase games over Windows 10's Store for they have some issues with protection from antivirus.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    NaughtyDog and ne0x like this.
  3. N1ghtWalker

N1ghtWalker Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970
    Good afternoon Erick!
    I'm interested in trying out these modifications for a new game called Escape From Tarkov! It is still in closed beta (I bought the game) but I would like to ask if these modifications are effective for newer games ?! Thanks in advance!

4. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    If it's a newer game, there is only one way to find out....just give it a try. I'm still testing these modifications even with newer games. Just make a backup of all profiles before testing just in case and they will not brick the GPU. That way, you can restore them. The nested profiles to each bit is really puzzling, but is neat to see improvements or residual results.

5. N1ghtWalker

N1ghtWalker Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970
    Good afternoon. My fear is that it will be banned. Because there are certain changes in the inspector that are considered cheats! So what I was thinking was to offer an experimental CD-key (1 week if I'm not mistaken). Was this possible to test yourself? Since you understand more of the subject? Thanks in advance.

6. ne0x

ne0x Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I set the values from Ericks google doc. Im not sure but EFT does seem to be running good. However the stutters are still there because most of the stutters are cause by the game/server when players/ai spawn etc.

Also the FPS is still bad > between 40 / 120 depending on where and what you do in game. Thats just the game not being optimized.

@Erick, Thanks for the experiments. Some settings do seem to work well on my system

Erick likes this.
  7. N1ghtWalker

N1ghtWalker Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970
    @ne0x First of all, thank you very much for the reply. So I'll try it. My fear was being banned for changing certain inspector settings. And visually, has it generally improved or worsened? Thank you

Erick likes this.
  8. ne0x

ne0x Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Visually @N1ghtWalker it does look sharper. I am not pleased with the Anisotropic Filtering so im tweaking it a bit as i go. Grass also seems a bit too sharp so it feels like theres a lot of pixel movement in it when in game. So im playing around ith some other AA settings

I havent ever heard of anybody gettign banned for tweaking game settings with Inspector.

9. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Nice work Erick!

Erick likes this.
  10. N1ghtWalker

N1ghtWalker Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970
    @ne0x As soon as I get the chance, I'll try it out! Regarding being banned, if I'm not mistaken, has in the official forum of the game. Because there are certain settings that give you the advantage to see the enemies. For example, take the grass.

11. ne0x

ne0x Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    At some point in the past there was a possibility to tweak LOD settings and "sort of" get rid of grass. It has been patched by the devs alreadys.
    I have been using Inspector like a normal person would with EFT for a few moths and have not got a ban ever.

Again, use at your own risk. i think is unlikly to get you banned with normal use.

My advice: if you are in doubt > dont use it.

12. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    The updated settings that I am testing has the AF settings set to off, but of course you can set it to your liking. :)

13. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Thank you Jaggerwild. :)

14. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    They don't mind people using custom settings to their GPU's if it helps them improve their settings. They will set everything to whatever the industry standards are and all settings can go back to the defaults at any time. With the latest driver, they included the image sharpening again. I know that in the past, it was considered to be cheating in tournaments, so they removed it years ago.

15. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Oh not at all. The new settings that I am testing has turned the LOD (DirectX Level of Detail) way down. Gamers can now use the Image Sharpening (finally after a decade!). I found that this was what people were doing in the past to "cheat" but what it can cause is values to look "blacker than black" so with better resolutions today, I adjusted it slightly. As long as I am not claiming that this is "mine" or telling people to "Sponsor me and I will give you this". I seen people doing that, which will lead to trouble.

I never tested that CD-Key; I didn't want to venture into that area, just test with different bits and settings.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019

16. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    You're welcome and feel free to continue experimenting. :) I tried using the ASync compute, so on the updated settings I turned those off. I also read their release notes as well; Async Compute is not working so well, which explains it. I'll post new settings soon, but I have to note what I changed on the customized profile.

17. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Visually it improved and now they have the image sharpening, so you can adjust that to your liking. :) With Windows 10 1903, I marked a lot of settings in the document as red for they will get rolled back. Also check out the Slimming Utility. That can reduce the attack surface of the driver and also improve gameplay, unless you use GeForce Now, Experience, etc.

18. ne0x

ne0x Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    @Erick Yeah, your configuration was a good starting point, i've been tweaking some more after using it as a baseline. Theres not much (performance) improvements to be had on a game like escape from tarkov because the game is just not optimized. Also most performance issues are server sided at the moment.

Currently im trying to get TXAA as sharp as possible, the game has FXAA which is just too jagged no matter what settings i try and, the TXAA is blurry as frack when moving but, when stationary it is much better than the FXAA in game.

With FXAA there are a lot of jagged egdes that "move" wen the in game character is moving, also textures / lines on the textures seem t obe flickering with FXAA. on TXAA no issues with that.

I have set the Texture filtering settings to 16x and Quality, and it does suffice for now.

19. Erick

Erick Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB
    Ok and I gotcha, so you like the TXAA, which I agree is very good. I just uploaded a new base starting point by the way; that setting Optimize for Compute Performance caused some strange artifacts to appear in Doom 2016 on the Vulkan side, so I turned it off. I don't have Escape from Tarkov, but will check it out. I don't currently understand why Temporal AA is flippin blurry yet either, but I can tackle that fun journey again. It can't hurt. I'll leave that first profile up as a base then.

The thing was....TXAA has to be supported by the engine. I wanted to use a custom AA that can enhance the game's built in AA with some added supersampling and multisampling, which can give it a smooth look. I turned off and prevented AF from being used because I learned that it causes some strange blurry textures in smoke, clouds, effects, water, etc. Street Fighter V, Abigail's stage, was broken because of it. VCAA makes it look sharp and OGSSAA, or Ordered Grid was too solid because the samples were evenly spread.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  20. ne0x

ne0x Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Thanks @Erick

Tonight i will check out the base profile and start customizing from there.

Ive been reading online, and TXAA is blurr(ier) from the get go, i think this is just how the algorithm is implemented. It does take away most of the shimmering effects other AA solutions introduce with the added side effect that it is a blurred mess when screen is moving.
    Im thinking of resetting the LOD settings to default, and then try sharpening with the new sharpening setting in Nvidia settings. If that is not enough i will also try Reshade on Tarkov for its sharpening features. (not sure yet if it allowed or blocked by Battleeye)

Erick likes this.