Bethesda, most embarassing CPU optimization of the decade [Gaming]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by wafu88, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Hey now, no need to start name calling, keep it civilized, and you are right, its just badly optimized. He just might have a different opinion on what is playable.

2. wazups2x

wazups2x Active Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    Yeah, I just get upset when I see people say "it runs at 20 FPS and that's good enough for me so everyone else's computer must be broken".

3. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    This is not surprising at all. Bethesda aren't exactly known for their fantastic game engines lol.

Complaints about coding aside, it runs well on my PC, not as well as it should though considering its fairly average graphic detail. Here's hoping that the more rich Bethesda get, the better their engines will get. Not holding my breath on that one though. :giggle2:

4. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Where did I say everyone's computer? I was only talking about the one poster who said he couldn't play with an i5 and a pretty top end GPU. Maybe the game is poorly optimized but you should be able to play it very well on a rig like that unless something is wrong somewhere else.

Now as far as playability goes, I never even bother to check what my frame rate is unless I'm seeing very noticeable stutter. I was playing Skyrim happily at all high settings and figuring I must have been getting like 35-40 at least. I was shocked to find when I turned on fraps that it was ranging between 18 and 30. I never noticed any problems in playability except in places with heavy fog. I have since tweaked the settings, putting some on medium and shadows especially turned down and now I'm getting 30-40 in the outside areas and nearly the same in the cities except for Markath where in one specific spot, it drops to like 12. I think I will try the mod given here and see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

5. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    just upgraded my skrim tweak to skyboost, and im getting minimum fps of 44 in Markarth. Its better than the previous version and 100% better than vanilla. I'm stunned.

6. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Master Guru

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    All of your points are valid and I have taken them on-board. Thank you for your constructive critique! I really mean that!

I am always perfectly accepting of someone with more knowledge or experience putting me in my place!

It's just a shame that you also have to take such an uncivilised tone when their really is no need for it! I would care to guess that you don't really care I would have walked away from this thread with respect and gratitude for your insight had you not retained such a pointless attitude!

as for the validity of your comments, I'm not a total n00b and I do know how to build and optimise a PC to work effectively well.

I'm done now, you're clearly not worth the effort of further correspondence!

:ban:

EDIT: I think I'm over reacting a bit here - this stuff shouldn't really matter at all!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  7. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I tried the Skyrim boost too and in Markath there isn't much difference but at the top of the stairs in Whiterun, looking out over the tree, I went from 14fps to 24. In other places other than those two, I'm not sure there is any difference at all. I'm just wondering what all the files in the src folder are for.

8. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    Don't get personally offended by trivial things guys.

9. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Master Guru

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    yeah ok!

sorry!

10. Trixster

Trixster Active Member

GPU:
    1070 G1 Gaming
    Don't normally post, as you can see, but have to say ty for that hint - it cured the flickering on Skyrim for me 100% and that was the only thing bugging me..

Not sure what miracles my aging 4850x2 is performing but I have not had any fps issues with this game at all, get steady 60 bar towns when it ranges from 30-40.

11. wafu88

wafu88 Active Member

GPU:
    DDR3
    ROFL, those are the source files if you wanted to improve or change anything. They don't do anything unless you compile them.

12. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    This is called skyboost helped loads for me http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1325462-skyboost-topic-2/

it sorted out the stuttering whilst turning thingy and walking around in towns now are smooth as anything, i moved over the src files as well but still flickers in crossfire :biggun:

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    You're a little late.. skyboost was mention like 4 pages ago, including this one

14. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1080 ti
    Well I did not know about it and I have been loosely following this thread so thank you Del_Boy. Will give it a spin later today.

15. pcgamers

pcgamers Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I dont read the whole thread so thanks Del_Boy for the link. I will try this first since my CFx setup can only get around 20-40fps in skyrim with everything maxed out which is a disappointment if compared to single card which having 50+ fps all the times.

16. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    With crossfire disabled CCC wont force AA in skyrim for me, but AF through CCC does work, Ive tried all settings and all drivers since 11.11b and get same result, im forced to use only the in game fx AA because in game multi sample AA kills my fps, maybe this is to do the crossfire flickering problem also ? if i could get AA to work through CCC the super sample thing could work for me also and cure my flickers ? wow that would be good.

17. Kariddi

Kariddi Active Member

GPU:
    2x ATI 5850 Sapphire
    Someone tried the 8.94 drivers with skyrim?

18. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    its pure evil marketing. I probably am right saying someone was hinting them to make game less optimised so people would get better hardware.
    Its just a question is is ati or intel or nvidia or amd..

19. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    You could be forgiven for thinking it's done on purpose, it does make you wonder but I think it's just a result of a poor development procedure.

20. Russ369

Russ369 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FE
    Im sick and tired of the flickering with this ****in game using the 6000 series cards... Even when I turn off CFX it STILL flickers in caves REALLY badly... Playing the vanilla game too... Every driver since 11.10 has been doing this... Im REALLY getting fed up with this its a complete game breaker for me...