Bethesda, most embarassing CPU optimization of the decade [Gaming]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by wafu88, Dec 23, 2011.

1. aminfri

aminfri Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870XT 1100/1600
    hmm, Skyrim does support proper anti-alisaing (MSAA) up to x8 !!!

2. Valagard

Valagard Guest

The human eye see's a still static image every time it stops moving

Whenever your eye muscles move, be it position, lens focusing etc, it takes a still snapshot and sends it to the brain where it is processed

The human eye moves between 240-310 times a second, each time it takes a picture when it stops moving

What happens if your eyes DON'T move? If your eyes remain fixated on something for a long period of time, or say something that the brain can't take a focal point image and update its reference, hell even bordom can cause it, if it stops moving and stays dormant you actually go blind and see a black image until you start moving your eyes again.

You have probably noticed this before like in a doctors waiting room, you'll sit there bored and inactive, and you'll see the lights in the room flicker, or you'll get momentary flashes of blackness, this is caused by the eyes ceasing movement for too long.

So yes, you see between 240-310 frames per second, based on how often your eye moves. Trained people such as NHL goalies and fighter pilots have trained their eyes to process images up to 400FPS, but the average is between 240-310FPS

3. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    Well people like you never buy games anyway so with any luck your PSU will blow up and take the rest of your rig with it!.

As far as Skyrim it runs great on my system so it most defiantly is not the game.

CPU: AMD FX-8120 8-Core Black Edition : Motherboard: MSI 890FXA-GD70
    Case: In Win Dragon Rider : Video Card: 2x SAPPHIRE HD 6950 (flash to 6970) 2GB
    Monitors: 3x Asus VK278Q Black 27 : Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 3.5" 90GB : HDD: 5x Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 64MB Cache
    Optical Drive: LG WH10LS30K 10X Blu-ray Burner : Mouse: Logitech Performance Mouse MX
    Keyboard: Logitech G19 Gaming Keyboard
    Water Cooler: XSPC Rasa 750 RS240​

4. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    35? you're a pup. I'm 63 and started playing games in the days of Pong and text adventures on a PC. My first console was Colecovision which was way ahead of everything else at the time. Then the NES came out and blew everything away. I still maintain that I can't see any difference between as low as 25fps and anything higher than that in a game. Having said that, I don't consider minor stuttering here and there to be a major problem since it can be caused by many other things than your video card's performance. Try playing LOTRO. No matter what hardware you have, you will still get momentary hesitations fairly frequently while traveling. Maybe an SSD instead of a traditional HDD would help, I don't know. For about 700,000 paid subscribers and many more than that playing free, it doesn't seem to matter since the game is well done and fun to play.

I'm perfectly satisfied with the way Skyrim, DiRT 3 and Dead Island play on my current laptop. I get 25-45 fps in all of them and they're all fluent with very infrequent stuttering. Of course I don't use Ultra settings. The games default to high and they play okay that way but I usually turn some things like shadows, draw distances, and post processing down to medium and keep AA at 4X maximum and AF at 2X max if used at all.

[​IMG]

I think that looks more than acceptable. Even after being saved as a .jpeg and then for some reason resized by uploading. It's originally at 1366X768 and looked even better in game and in IrfanView.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

5. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb

Yes, that stuttering in LOTRO and many other games (Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, Stalker Call of Pripyat) was caused by the way those game engines were designed to stream new textures and polygons when you run into the distance, its the constant HDD access and loading while running that caused it...I think in LOTRO you can reduce it by installing on an SSD.

Thank god in Skyrim Bethesda finally figured out how to get rid of the stuttering problem...it was so annoying.

6. Matthew Simis

Matthew Simis Active Member

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    Thats you and thats great, but its like saying that you get super drunk on low alcohol beer so why is anything sold over 1% per volume. Most people absolutely can tell 20,30,60,120fps apart, without question.

Have a look at:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-what-if-uncharted-3-ran-at-60-fps

Watch the 30fps PS3 native run of Uncharted than looks at the post-rendered 60fps version (noting that it must be full screen etc as in the article).

7. adrock311

adrock311 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    yeah if you watch both videos on that link, its a huge difference.

8. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs

The brain+retina has an 'average subtraction' image filtering behavior.
    There's a persistence of all that you see, and your current image that you perceive is "the difference between that average, and what is really seen".

This is why your own eye's blood vessels are not visible, and why 'eye floaters' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater) are not visible (unless they get sufficiently perturbed).

Because your blood vessels are present in everything you see, in the same place all the time, they "are" the average. Hence when your mind+retina removes the average from your current view, you effectively subtract out the blood vessels, and any floaters.
    It basically removes anything that never changes. This filter is required, otherwise you would have static (nonchanging) artifacts in your vision at all times.

The reason why your vision goes black (gray) if you stare at one point long enough, is because over time 'what you see' is becoming part of the average, and is getting removed from your perception.

The eye keeps re-positioning so that it keeps new things in your vision, so that you don't stare at one place and 'go blind until you move your eye again'.

It has nothing to do with 'taking snapshots'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabilized_images
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neural_adaptation

-scheherazade

9. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sorry , but to me there is only a very very slight difference and in 98% of the clip, not noticeable at all. The 30fps one looks great.

Oh, and I never drink any kind of beer. I could never stand the taste of the stuff. :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  10. Matthew Simis

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    Maybe your laptop cannot playback 60fps video? ;)

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No offense but i doubt anyone wants to see a huge sig consistening of your system specs. You already have it on the far left

12. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Or below depending on the style you pick (as I use 'fast') but yes your right. I don't want to see the same thing twice. It's almost as bad as people that sign their forum name at the end of EVERY post. Silly as I can read already! It's on your damn post already! Garr lol :)

HonoredShadow.

Processor: Intel Quad i5 2500 @ 4.1 Videocard: 5850Blk CFX+Samsung SA750 Motherboard: AsRock P67 Extreme6
    Memory: 8gb Corsair 1600mhz Soundcard: ASUS Xonar DX PCI-E PSU: Corsair HX750w
    Storage: OCZSSD3-2VTX120G, +3xSata Case: Arctic 300 OS: Win 7 Home Premium 64bit​

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Though signing your name does add a personal/old fashioned feel to posts and quite a lot of people do still do it.

BZ

Videocard: HD6970 2GB Coldbug EK H2O - Processor: i7 2600k 4.8 HT Rasa H2O
    Mainboard: P8P67 Pro - Memory: 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJawsX
    Soundcard: X-Fi + Sony 2400ES - PSU: Corsair AX850​

14. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    It played just fine and on the hd setting.

15. guy_uoft

guy_uoft Active Member

Why on earth is this thread in the AMD driver section?

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If someone can’t see the difference between 30 and 60fps, then lucky them, really no point trying to convince them otherwise.

Wish I was like that, in slow panning sections, I can even spot the difference between movies/tv shows running at 24fps and 25fps.
    For the first year or two of watching BluRay I was speeding all of them up to 25fps as I just couldn’t get used to the drop in framerate compared to PAL DVDs

As for this engine, it’s nowhere near as bad as people are making out, I was expecting a complete mess, and while it did have to vsync the game to 50hz instead of 60hz, I would never call it unplayable.

17. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    Anyone found a fix for the skyrim crossfire flickering textures yet ?

i've had the flickering and flashing since 11.11b, currently on 12.1, played a few other games since, super meatboy and spacemarine both flicker as well in crossfire mode also since 11.11b (both steam games)

sounds suspicious.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  18. Matthew Simis

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    That sounds a lot more like a mis-sync between Framerate and Refresh rate. You need to run BluRays at 24hz, so either 24hz Native or 72Hz or 120hz. I just watched Drive at 1080/24hz on my projector and it looked super smooth compared to leaving it at default 60hz. Not all AV equipment runs at 24hz though. Running locked 24fps content at 50 or 60hz will most definitely introduce jitter on panning sections, but its not the 1fps difference you are picking up.
    12.1 was the only driver that didnt flash textures with my setup. Other than leaving Vsync on (as the Creation engine freaks out at anything other than locked 60Hz as the physics are timed to it) I dont think I changed anything in that regard.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It’s not jitter/stutter, as I have always been running film at 24hz, never run 60hz as I never have any 30fps material.
    Even bought a standalone player before realising I just preferred the look of 25fps over 24, but eventually got used to it a year or so ago, as I was ruining the audio quality by speeding things up.

On topic, one thing I have noticed about this game and it’s engine is that it’s the first game since GTAIV were I get a noticeable increase in performance when I overclock, even BF3 SP made no difference, but this instantly feels smoother when I set things to 4.6ghz.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  20. Matthew Simis

GPU:
    HD7970 + GT240 Physx
    Probably as its single threaded. :(