Bestway PC Fans setup??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by vboy425, Oct 30, 2005.

1. vboy425

vboy425 Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT
    i 3 fans on my tower. right i uses the front as intake and rear+side fans are exhaust. what's the best way to have it ?/

2. PuddingWagon

PuddingWagon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670
    front should always be intake, because its on the bottom of the case, where cool air is, the top should always be exhaust because hot air rises, so you want it out. Try both ways for the side fan, because you would want cool air to be going onto your gfx card (or cpu, depending on where it is). I've got mine set up so theres 2 fans at the front as intake, 2 at the back as exhaust (3 if you count the psu) and 1 homemade pci fan (80mm fan, some aluminium and a spare pci slot cover) which blows on the gfx card.

3. vboy425

vboy425 Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT
    should i have my side fan blow in or out ?? and also it's that true the intel oem cpyu fan blow down at the heatsink???

4. Crystallas

Crystallas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 280
    side should be flowing the same as the CPUfan. 99% of the time that means exaust... but there are rare cases where the heatsink is designed difrently, such as a few model heatpipe coolers that are designed to fit into tight places.

5. vboy425

vboy425 Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT
    in my case it feels like the Intel oem heatsink and fan. the fan blow down towards the heat sink

6. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    same with mine, blows onto heatsink.

7. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

No, thats not very common.
    Fans on heatsinks are used to blow right into the Heatsink to make it cooler.

Ths side panel fan should be also intake and not exaust.
    You will notice a big difference having an intake into your CPU or GPU unless you had a Heatsink fan blowing not towards the CPU which is very strange.
    Ia hev never seen one blowing air away the heatsink.

8. vboy425

vboy425 Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT
    so i should have the front AND SIDE AS AN INTAKE, AND REAR AS AN EXHAUST. WELL QUICK QUESTION. HOW WILL THE REAR EXHAUST FAN BLOW AIR OUT WHEN THE SIDE FAN IS BLOWING IN??

9. apolir

apolir Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti
    back and top should be exaust. front and side intake..best results ive had..

and to answer that question..its all postioning and air flow.make sure that your side and back arnt right ontop eachother. and that you have all the wires neat and put aside so air flow can easily go to the front bottom - to top rear

10. vboy425

vboy425 Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT

but all i have is 3 fans. front back and side

11. -[HC]-AceCombat

-[HC]-AceCombat Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Asus 8600GT silent in SLI
    So your front and side are blowing cold air in and the rear fan and the psu fan are getting rid of the hot air. It's simple you want t move all the hot air out and you have to have the same amount of air flowing in or you will get a negative pressure. Either an equal or positive airflow will get you what you want.

12. vboy425

vboy425 Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT
    yep that's the way my fans setup currently. CPU temp at idle anywhere from 39-45 degree. is that normal?

13. netnexus

netnexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4870x2
  14. sytless

sytless Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce 7800GTXOC
    ive read somewhere that there should be more fans blowing out than blowing in ... or atleast the fans blowing out(exhaust) should be stronger than the ones blowing in (intake).

I think this creates the negative air pressure that would cause even more cooler air to be sucked in ...

not sure if im getting me air thermodynamics right tho ..

15. scorpion

scorpion Master Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GeForce 6800GT Golden Samp
    Weather here in australia is getting hotter (summer) and i reinstalled my side fan on my Antec Plusview AMG (with side window) and at first i noticed the video card idling at around 57c which was about right in 34degree weather (no air con in this room)... and on load the max it hit was 81c, shot up pretty quick.

So i decided to make the side from an exhaust fan, at first i was just testing, so i rebooted left the pc to idle for around 30 minutes and it was idling at 58c.. i loaded up RTHDRBL for around 30 minutes also and the highest it hit was 78c and it didn't really shoot up to 78 it was a slow increase unlike with the side fan blowing air in. And i've actually still got it as an exhaust as im more concerned about load temps.

So what i've noticed blowing air in on the side helps idle temps, but not load temps as it seems to just push hot air around the case (specially on hot days).. while side exhaust actually helps on load. my 2cents that i figured out recently :S ehe

Last edited: Nov 3, 2005

16. vboy425

vboy425 Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT
    i h ave try your test couple of miutes ago. i knowest the same thing. like said before. i think the side fan as an intake fan blow all the hot air away from the rear exhaust fan and blow it against the motherboard. my best bet is to put some fan on top as exhaust. how would i set this up ?? i have in mine to make the top fan exhaust, front intake, side intake and rear exhaust??

17. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Whats the problem there?
    It works like that.
    The perfect deal would be having 4 fans. 2 intake and 2 exaust.

I have 120mm and 90mm for intake and 120mm and 80mm for exaust. Theyre almost the same so there is no really noticeable negative pressure.