Best way to use an SSD drive?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Anfield82, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Hi all,

I'm about to buy an SSD very soon and I need to know the best way to use it.
    Do I just install Windows 7 on it and maybe a couple of games? Flight Simulator X, for example and then use one of my 500GB drives for music and other stuff?

Thanks in advance.

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Yep, you got it.

I put my programs and Windows on the SSD, along with whatever game I'm currently playing that will fit.

3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Same here, my SSD houses my OS, applications, and games. Everything else goes on my 500GB Storage Drive.

4. Anfield82

Anfield82 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7970
    Oh good. For a second I thought maybe people just try to squeeze everything onto the SSD but if the way I have suggested is the best way then I'll do that.

5. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    When you install on the SSD let the Windows installer create and format the partitions. This way you can make sure everything is aligned correctly. Then use the tweaks from reliable sources.

6. Fershlugg

Fershlugg Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 670
    Another option is to use Acronis True Image Home 2011 trial to just backup the 100M System Reserved partition along with your OS partition. Then restore them to the SSD using True Image boot media.

I just did this two days ago and everything is aligned properly without having to reinstall Windows 7. Of course this means your OS partition must not have more data on it than can fit on the SSD, but I was able to trim mine down to 35G before the backup.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010