Best studio monitors (for music playback) around 650$ max

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by psyside, Nov 24, 2011.

1. psyside

psyside Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 @1150/6000
    Hi guys, let me start by saying that im just starting to get into Hi-Fi stuff, so please no snob comments and stuff, i'm aware that im noob :)

Now my questions.

Where i live there are few monitors available, after intensive research, i get to conclusion that the best pick for me would be front ported, compact-small monitors, with room aqustic settings, in order to avoid bad sound, because my room is quite small 4x4 meters.

Q:What kind of music i listen?

A:Hard & progressive rock, acoustic-percusion flute based music, ambient -chill out, classic, new age, trip hop, goa trance etc.

Q: What do i want my speakers to sound like?

A: Well, I prefer, cristal clear, crips, detailed, dynamic, deep sound, good hi/mids, and clear detailed vocals mostly over everything else, i also like clear -deep bass, i dont want to be lould neither powerful just to be detailed and not to forgot i like good freq response.

Bear in mind that my room is small, and one of the speakers will be in the corner of my room, i now this is not ideal, but as far as i read, being front ported speakers, reducing the possible acoustic issues if i'm not wrong?

One more note: Also keep in mind i will connect my new monitors with sound card, (xonar STX/HD Titanium? advice me which to buy) so any tips of how to connect, and what cables to use XLR/RCA would be highly appericated, will i get even better sound quallity by using good quallity sound card with studio monitors, or they are already at thei peak level even without it? sorry for stupid questions, but Hi-Fi stuff are quite new to me

Anyway i'm heading towards 3 models now.

Adam A3x- 450 euros > looks like my favorite till now if im not wrong, this speakers offer the most detailed/crisp sound as far as i read correct me if im wrong, also they would be placed on both sides of my LCD monitor, and i heard they are not magnetic shielded would this be issue for me, i must be sure about this!

KRK Rokit 5G2 - 340 euros > generally all round best speakers (regarding general buyers opinions) but they lack clarity and details wich i like sadly..

BX8A - 400 euros > I heard the capacitators are junk, and generally build quallity/reliability as well is not the best, and about the sound i only heard they are praised for there tweeters, but the Adam tweeters, i think are even better or not?

Thats it, i hope i was clear enough and i expect you guys to help me out! thanks!

P.S. Im from EU so dont get hard on my english :)

2. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    The BX8A, are by far the best out of those, even just reading the specs, I can roughly tell, that these are the ones to get... I could be wrong because yes, not everything on paper is actually the best but it is a good indication and the way to get an idea of how they sound, and compare... :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

3. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    If it's at all possible go to a shop and have a listen. What you see written down about a product may be very different to how actually hear it yourself.

4. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    In addition to a new set of monitors, you really should consider some sort of EQ system.

Something like the KRK Ergo could help a lot in getting your monitors sounding their best in your room. It's an added expense, but well worth it IMO.

As for monitors... for the genres you seem to cover, you should look to see if you can find a cheap pair of Dynaudio BM5A MkII's where you live (even used is an option if they are in good shape).

They are rear ported (Not a problem if EQ'ed) but do have adjustments for treble, mid, and bass. They have decent extension down low which makes them a good choice for dance music etc... (Tho they can certainly handle classical equally as well).

5. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    you should NEVER buy a set of speakers before listening to them with your OWN reference material. and MOST audio shops encourage you to bring in your own dvds/cds to sample the hardware with. BUT ALSO keep in mind that the hardware may be MORE than you have now. Find out what kind of cable they have connected, the hardware, everything, just to get a valid idea of how the speakers are going to sound, vs at home. Some stores even let you take the speakers home for a weekend and try them out in YOUR surroundings, although not all will, but when i was demo'ing a set of B&W Nautilus 804's, against a set of Martin Logan Aerius I's, they had no problem sending me home with them, as thats about a total of $10k in speakers alone, never mind the hardware/cables etc. *The Aerius's won* :) Paper specs are always nice, but rarely do they tell you HOW they are going to sound...all our ears are different even slightly, so sit down..do some 'studying' at the store and decide for yourself. Worse case scenario, they'll want your CC number and then send you home with them, doesnt hurt to ask, as you want the BEST for what you intend with them within your budget, and the store is there for you, not the other way around. Hope that gets ya started :)

addon : if im spending more than $1500 in a store on audio hardware...im there for at least 6mos testing, priming, changing hardware, and the store usually lets you do it..build a repotoire with an employee...let em know what your budget is...what you want...how its going to be used...sometimes they DO have a clue...sometimes...:)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  6. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    i agree with having a listen yourself

i was certain i was getting the krk rokit 5's from what i read (even a staff at sweetwater thought it would be best monitor for me based on what i wanted) but when i got the chance to do a few listening test i ended up with the yamaha hs50m (which was the one i was least interested in to begin with)

for the record i compared the krk rokit 5's, yamaha hs50m and m-audio bx5a

edit: just read your post more carefully, i think you'll actually like the yamaha pair, the krk rokit's has a bit more bass but i find them to sound more veiled compared to the yamaha, the hs50m was just more detailed and revealing for me

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  7. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 840M
    ^^ same here. I bought my Blow4 because I listened to them first. At first I wanted to buy different monitor but after listening to the blow4, my ears were hooked to them so I bought the blow4 instead.

Having a listen before purchasing is a very good idea

8. psyside

psyside Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 @1150/6000
    The Yamaha HS50 is hard to find, actually the only option which is available to buy atm is the Adam A3x :(

Others will be in store in few weeks, i dont know if i can wait so long, lolz!

One more question, will Xonar STX make whenever monitors i pick sound quite a bit better then the onboard, or with this quallity of speakers is not needed so much? thanks guys!

EDIT: Btw the Dynaudio BM5A, cost 1000 euros (pair) :eek:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  9. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 840M
    With good quality monitors you'll hear big difference between the STX and onboard, well at least that's my experience with the Blow4 on auzen xplosion/onkyo SE90.
    The STX is even better than my two soundcards

With logitech z-5300 i only hear slight difference between the xplosion and onboard.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  10. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    I'm all for testing the equipment, at home, but at a store, in my opinion, your not going to get the best product that suites you... Here's why, ok at a store, if the store wants to sell a particular brand more than another, what's stopping them from tweaking one brand more and then that final decision between the brands that you've chosen, is not exact... You might choose one over another just because you hear one slightly deeper bass sound than another, or one high more than another, even mids... So, to get the best decision of the persons particular choice in sound, you would have to do testing at home, period... :) Which is exactly why I don't listen in stores much and prefer to even judge on paper... Although, sometimes it's good just to get a rough idea, of what it's gonna sound like, but hey, then again a rough idea on paper, is good enough for me. :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

11. psyside

psyside Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 @1150/6000
    Bought the A3x, amazinggggggggggg! thanks for the replays guys! now can't wait to get the Xonar STX and blow my mind :D

12. RagDoll_Effect

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    That's great, tell us how they are with the STX, when you get it :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

13. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 840M
    Glad you like it :D

Had the same excitement as yours when I got my Blow4

14. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070Ti Titanium
    congrats mate, i heard great things about Adam's :D

no pun intended :p

15. Rumpus01

Rumpus01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1060 3GB
    Are you planning on doing any producing/DJing with your setup? If so, I would recommend getting a really nice external soundcard so you can take it with you for DJing (or mobile producing), and you can get external cards with balanced (XLR) cables. Most internal PC soundcards don't have XLR connections.

16. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 840M
    I have a plan to build a home studio in the future when i have the money (not in near future however).

I plan to buy this lexicon
    It's quite expensive here, around $550

What is the external sound card that you recommend?

17. psyside

psyside Master Guru

GPU:
    7950 @1150/6000
    Thanks guys! no, no production involved, only listening :D i recommend this to anyone who like cristal clear sound, amazing details and depth! for classical music, acoustics, jazz, blues, vocals based music...etc this monitors are stunning.

Oh and btw i still got no STX bought, i will make different thread about it just now, i need some help!