Best storylines ever

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by OmniShift, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 1660 Ti OC
    Planescape: Torment.

2. Biały Wilk

Biały Wilk Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850
    Starcraft story was epic for me(still waiting for a movie based on game), gothic 1 was really awesome, witcher 1.

3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Max Payne ftw.

4. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    Damn forgot about this one. Toss up between KOTOR and Planescape Torment. Both were so awesome!

5. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Max Payne series.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    In terms of thrill and "interestingness" (Not necessarily best written)

Half Life 1
    Deus Ex
    Red Faction 1
    Mass Effect 1
    Far Cry 1
    Max Payne 1&2 (Finally a sequel!)

7. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Oh yeah, Max Payne 1 had a great film noir story. I'm not so much a fan of noir movies but in a game it worked.

Even after two Mass Effects, KOTOR holds the RPG story crown still. I'm really hoping ME3 can top KOTOR just by finalising the series well.

Also...
    Grim Fandango
    Monkey Island 1
    The Longest Journey (maybe number one story in the adventure genre)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    Thief 1, 2, 3; Deus Ex, Beyond good and evil. Some of the zelda games and some games I've atm forgotten.

I don't mind that stories are a bit simpler, sometimes that is what makes them stronger. Too often these days they work hard in making the stories deep...but it comes out as intellectual masturbation which so messy that I sometimes don't have a clue about really what is going on. The best movies are not overly complex in their story narrative.

Another thing which I hate, is that characters who want to tell their entire life story. Boring. Mass Effect comes to mind (friggin space opera), I don't care about investigating everyone's personal life, they are not that interesting and often just stereotypes, few things are original.

I'm here to save the universe, you are supposed to have your lives in decent order... who am I really recruiting for heavens sake??? Also, sex in games, duuuuull. Do-not-care. Seems like a marketing decision rather than good story telling.

Half life in my view doesn't really have a story at all, it's too empty, but at least the locations and gameplay are good enough to trouble with.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  9. korn666

korn666 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 295
    red dead redemption

10. Poddy

Poddy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 8800GTS 320mb
    Deus Ex
    Half Life 2 - but only the episodes
    Mafia (wasn't too impressed with Mafia 2 sadly)
    Max Payne 1 + 2

I'm going to throw this one out there too, Call of Duty 4 - it's actually a great tale of cat and mouse, plus the final scene is pretty harrowing the first time through.

I was tempted to put GTA IV like a few others, but I think GTA IV has an amazing script rather than an amazing plot.

*EDIT* And Red Dead Redemption! Good shout ;)

11. Templ

Templ Guest

- Planescape: Torment (hands down the best there is... it's just too bad gameplay sucks)
    - KotOR 2
    - Vampire - Bloodlines
    - Witcher series
    - Assassin's Creed series (yes, it's full of implausibilities, but that's part of its charm)
    - The Longest Journey
    - First half of Fahrenheit (I really disliked the whole Matrix crap at the end)
    - Jade Empire (really love the overall storyline, but I absolutely hate that there is no neutral path and that the closed fist path is just another name for evil, even though one of the characters in the beginning tells you it's different... that's Bioware for you)

12. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    i agree complete FF10 has one of the best twists ever and bar the stupid conversations sometimes has a great story, i dont know why its mentioned but the ME series in comparison is junk as there is no big twist not to such an extent at least and ME2 has one of the worst story lines i have ever played( btw i really like ME1 so bah to haters of my comments :p ).

For me, apart from FF10 it has to be MGS 1 and
    How youre told you have to deactivate the Metal Gear by changing the temp of the key card when in fact you end up activating it, classic lol

13. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    For me it had to be call of duty black ops

[​IMG]

Bahhh!- had you there for a second
    Seriously though- mass effect 1+ 2 take the crown for me, mostly for the insane depth that the codex goes into. Though its a simple I also enjoyed amnesia's sory and particularly how its delivered in the note/ memory form

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Half Life's story is good (At least for me) because of how interesting and epic the environments and the base in general were. Each level tells it's own story about Black Mesa and what sort of things went on there. It just works, without any narrative, any real speech, or anything you'd expect in a normal story based game.

15. kbozz71

kbozz71 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Freespace 1 & 2. Absolutely epic.

16. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Pacman and No One Lives Forever 2 were the best. No really! NOLF2 even had a special plot parallel to the main story only to be witnessed when you played COOP with another player.

Beats any other story based game ive seen so far.

17. BamBoozleD

BamBoozleD Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 670 FTW LE Sli
    MGS Series
    Final Fantasy VII (VIII)
    Chrono Trigger

18. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    Crysis2

19. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    I loved ffx had a save with 270 some hours or there abouts back in the day. I thought it had the best FF story of any i had played, which was most but i think 8 and 9.

Most game stories are pretty flimsy when you break them down, they just fall into the common stereotypes and themes that are popular in the target culture they are meant for.

Even Red Dead with its great pacing, acting, dialogue, was full of common wild west bits and pieces pieces that were plucked straight out of any number of movies, they worked for red dead, hell how many wild west games have we had period? rdr can use em run with em and they work because they were seldom used outside movies and tv and games really had not exploited the whole wild west theme.

rdr 2 will be a far more interesting game to see if they can be more wholly original in the next game or will still borrow much out of the hollywood archives. heck could lok at samurai flicks while they at 7 samurai and whatnot has been converted into westerns and other movies for decades.

Metal gear solid as a series certainly had a wild convoluted plot, but damn i could not stop playing a new MGS game just to see how crazy the story can get or try and figure how what relates to the past games.

Deus Ex was out there, really out there far as rpgs go especially computer rpgs where steampunk, and cyberpunk type games really never caught on or were properly exploited, but all that conspiracy theory stuff, great characters, etc combined to make great story that still holds up today.

ME1 and ME2 the universe is great, the characters are great, the races are interesting, maybe too many humanoid, but lest they have a decent variety of galactic species with their own distinct cultures, and no one faction is 100% clean each major side has their own issues or junk they done, so the politics and how relations play out are often interesting.

But mass effect also does something that raises it a few notches for me personally, the fact that some of the hardest gaming decisions i had had to make in a game have been in mass effect games, i cannot recall too many times when a decision in a game made me stop and think and think for a long long time. If a game can do that to me once great if a game can do that to me multiple times amazing. I knew the factions i knew the quarrels, i knew the politics, i knew the peoples lives who would be directly effected by my actions made some decisions in ME games brutal.

Fallout 2 was not about the overall story but how you effected each and every person you met along the way and the way that you shaped that world as you progressed, That made that story great to me. As great as any twists and turns inthe main story plots.

Vampire bloodlines great story and characters and funny twist at the end if you take some paths.

Gemini_Rue had a good story, in the vein of philip k dick and the like.

ANd sure many other games if i went back and played them or thought about it. lots of games have good story, i really think as devs get more married to voice dialogue and video that we make it harder for them to focus on a consstent narrative sometimes, or even tone for a scene. Old text might be out of favor but the amount of dialogue and brances you can do in the time ti takes to record one branch of voiced tree and the time and money spent is night and day, why some old school rpgs feel deeper because they are more flexible in what they can do with dialogue and choices.

Most of the time in gaming it just boilds down to noone wants to spend the time or the money to write good deep logical or at lest interesting stories.

20. blesner

blesner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    :) Dead Space 1+2 is Epic...almost like an interactive movie, like a mixture of Hellrasier 1,2,3 and 4, Event Horizon and Sunshine.
    You really care for the characters in the game and If a game can do that its a success.