1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best stable overclock ref 290x watercooled. advice pls

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by kawasakizx10rr, Jul 5, 2014.

1. kawasakizx10rr

kawasakizx10rr Member

GPU:
    amd 290x 4gb EK block
    Hi all.
    i have a amd r9 290x reference. with a EK acetal and nickel block . max temp is 50c under load and as low as 22c idle uber mode , the cpu and motherboard are in the same loop so temps could be lower.

What i would like to know is what is a stable overclock for a ref 290x with a water block.
    i play bf4 and mmo,s. and as im sure you all know bf4 hates overclocked gpu,s. i have tried in the past with the core voltage locked.

3dmark would be fine but bf4 would crash or bsod.

my cpu is overclocked to 4.6ghz. manual volates on vcore, pll , vccsa and vtt
    currently.
    so i wish to finally overclock the gpu properly. i have msi AB latest version .
    Where shall i start what is a good profile ? i would like to use the same bios nothing massive just a profile that suits my setup.

2. kawasakizx10rr

kawasakizx10rr Member

GPU:
    amd 290x 4gb EK block
    lol not as many responses as i thought i would get.
    well i tried to fiddle with the settings my self and i had some artifacts and rainbow pixels towards then end of fire strike for 1 second or less.

I was trying at

gpu 1100 mem 1350 power target +50% and mv 65 . is it best to start with a high voltage then lower the clocks to match or am i chocking the parts with to much voltage for the speed set ? any ideas what to edit ?

3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
    Best do it in steps, low possible mv to card for card clocks

an try core first @ speed you desire without touching the memory speed yet

this was me running all 3 cards @ 1205 core an 1500 memory

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/1688121

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  4. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 980/290X
    I run 1150/1450 with +100mV water cooled, at +200mV I can run 1225 on the core. The memory on my card I have run at 1600 no problems and it could probably do more. In the end 1150/1450 the core never rises over 65c with the fan on the radiator at 1200 RPM, not silent but very quiet.

5. kawasakizx10rr

kawasakizx10rr Member

GPU:
    amd 290x 4gb EK block
    im a real noob when it come to overclocking gpu,s. so i will start will just the core. say 1050 . 50+ power

but Mv that im not sure where to start at ?

6. kawasakizx10rr

kawasakizx10rr Member

GPU:
    amd 290x 4gb EK block
    what is best just to start at im aware that all gpu,s have different grades of silicon like cpu,s so there can be no real set universal profile for a 290x.

but there must be some thing that is just easy to run or start from

AS i have no clue i would put in 1050 clock. default mem 1250 and 50% power . Mv 40 ?
    I JUST NOTICED AUX VOLTAGE what is that pls and what should i set it too ?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  7. kawasakizx10rr

kawasakizx10rr Member

GPU:
    amd 290x 4gb EK block
    well after some googling i found out that the aux is like the pll ? so i just set it to + 6 . the core voltage is 81+ % . power limit 50%. the gpu is at 1100 and mem 1350. no artifacts now the core has +10 and aux +5 from my last profile as seen above.

DO you think i should be getting higher clocks for those voltages ?

8. Illnino

Illnino Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    +10mv gets you 1100? That's decent some cant even get that. Mine can hit 1095 on default mv and +100 will get me 1200. Most i have done is +200mv at 1260 and thats all i have tried. So basically my max was 1260/1650

9. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    If VRM temps are below 80c and gpu temps remain below 75c I would do maybe +150-200mv and see how high of clock you can get with that...if you raise the voltage anymore the card will draw so much power that you will hit the power limiter and end up not getting anymore performance out of it. Even +100mv and 1150 on my card makes it pull well over 300 watts. From what I have seen 290x doesn't really overclock any better on water compared to air though the temps are def a lot better though if you have a decent air cooler the temps are not bad at all. I pity anyone with the reference cooler though.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  10. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    Those clocks are around average I would say for that voltage.....at +100mv I can get 1150 core but I am on air not water...I don't go any higher then 100mv on air because vrm temps start to get really hot if you go any higher.

11. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    no he started with +50 then added more.

12. FerCam™

FerCam™ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Is your block well seated? What are your temps, Amb, core, and vrm? you should be able to get higher OC without increasing core voltage.

13. kawasakizx10rr

kawasakizx10rr Member

GPU:
    amd 290x 4gb EK block
    yes its 81+ core voltage . 6+ aux . clocks at 1100 and 1350 . idle temps is 32c vrm,s 31c . but the cpu and motherboard share the same loop with the cpu overclocked to 4.6ghz. max temps on the vrm 1 71c vrm 2 49c and 64c core with this overclock after a game of bf4 at ultra of course :p.fans never hit 100% as the radiator fans are on my motherboards CHA custom fan curve for the cpu.
    http://www.3dmark.com/sd/2209976 its not showing the right clocks but idc

EDIT i tried to put the clocks to 1125 and mem to 1375 and 100mv same +6 aux. But i had artifacts ?

mb : Asus rampage iv extreme
    cpu : Intel i7 3930k @ 4.6
    ram : G skill Ripjaw Z 32Gb @ 1600mhz 8 dimms
    gpu : AMD Radeon r9 290x
    soundcard : Asus Xonar Xense
    headphones : Sennheiser Asus edition pc 350
    ssd : SSD Corsair neutron gtx 240GB
    ssd : SSD Corsair force series 3 120GB
    hdd : Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500GB
    psu : Novatech gold series 1000watt
    case : Thermaltake chaser mk-1

Water cooling parts :

EK nickel + acetal full 290x block
    EK RivE full motherboard block nickel + acetal
    Koolance cpu-380i nickel block
    Koolance HX-CU1020V radiator - 360mm
    EK acetal spin reservoir
    EK DCP 4.0 Pump
    Soild black nickel fittings G1/4 10mm
    Koolance low conductivity coolant (LIQ-705) 650 ml,s
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] standard clocks temps [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  14. Alien_Zero

Alien_Zero Master Guru

GPU:
    2 X GTX 1080
    Guys, what is the maximum safest voltage increment for the r9 290x to run overclocked for a 24/7 system ?

Also I have noticed that overclocking my triple r9 290x cards memory actually degrades performance !!!:3eyes:

15. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Strix
    This question is... well wrong on so many levels.

It assumes that variance between 290x samples is negligible.
    It assumes there is such thing as "maximum safest voltage"
    It assumes that everyone bellow the mark is ... SAFE

When in reality things don't work like that - cut-off voltage and everyone is safe bellow.
    By OV-ing you will mostly(on average) just shorten the product span and kill it only if taken to extreme OR (if unlucky enough):

GPU can die even on default settings or if you just look at it wrong.
    Some other sample could be taken to extreme AND STILL have longer life than the one kept at stock.
    So there is statistics, expectancy, sample variance, randomness etc

The right answer should be something like:
    There is 80% probability that 70% of all 290x within batch such and such should be able to take 1.150V at power virus load for 24/7 if the temperature is held below xyz

And even that is oversimplification(!) imho ^^

You are right. Perf loss can be caused by relaxed timings, vram throwing errors, unoptimized bios, crappy ram etc etc

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014

16. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
    :stewpid: Basically what he said, anything can fail anytime it's like saying how long is a piece of string

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Strix
    LOL you said it the best:

anything can fail anytime

18. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    (.)an X
    I don't know why anybody not trying to set records overclocks VRAM. With a few exceptions, it's benefit is negligible or zero. I often wonder how many people who boast about a 500hz oc on their VRAM are actually slowing their GPU down :)